Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone here not need this (yet)?

Hey y'all.

Now that I have a date, this is real and I'm stupidly beginning to second guess myself. I know this is dumb behavior, but I kind of just need to ask this in the hopes that I'm not alone and someone else can quell my nerves.

I've mentioned on here before that I'm in perfect health - just 130lbs overweight! Right now, I'm healthy. I'm not on medication, I'm normally active (I currently have a broken foot so I'm less active right now unfortunately), my blood pressure and cholesterol, are normal, I'm not a diabetic, etc.

So I guess the question is - are there any other people on here, pre or post op who got the DS when they were still healthy?

This is such an extreme surgery. I'm nervous that doing this is the equivalent of chopping off my toe when all I did is stub it. I'm hoping there are 1 or 2 people on here who were also healthy beforehand, had the surgery and are glad they did. The people in my support groups who are getting it are almost all in wheelchairs, coming from the hospital, diabetics, etc. I am SO SO SO happy for them, but that isn't the situation I am in and not having anyone to relate to is making me feel like I'm taking the nuclear option when it isn't necessary.

I'm 6 days post op and I got my band purely because I am sick of being over weight. I am fit and healthy. I second guessed myself in the first 4 days because the shoulder tip pain was agony, but now that that has passed, I am so happy I did it. It feels wonderful to feel full and I feel free from my constant appetite. Good luck [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G925I using BariatricPal mobile app

The real question is whether you've tried a few different methods of weight loss that haven't worked. For me I tried a very strict portion diet ( lost 17 pounds that found me quickly). I did 3 months of weight loss pills and lost a whopping 6 pounds and dealt with two months of severe ( I mean unreal severe) nightmares that plunged me into a severe depression. I carb counted and did shakes. Nothing was effective for very long.

So if those and other methods haven't worked you can honestly say that a WLS would be a good choice. I know that I'd be in a worse place mentally if I hadn't made this life-changing decision!

Good luck on your journey!!!!!

Today it's considered an extreme surgery, but I can totally see down the line it will be used like braces on crooked teeth. Out of all the bariatric surgeries out there, the vsg is so easy to do with everyday life.

I'm nine days out and can drink normally and feel better than I have in decades. My liver is shrinking, therefore allowing my body to heal itself, which in turn, gives me back my metabolism I haven't seen since my 20's. It's completely understandable to be nervous, but it's one of those things you just have to get past the surgery to reap the benefits, and remember, the uncomfortableness of the surgery is just a few days compared to a lifetime of doing things you may not have been doing due to being overweight.

What's wrong with feeling satisfied all the time, with boundless energy, and still lose 10-20 pounds a month and reclaiming who you used to be? Who wouldn't want that?

And also, I was 'healthy'. Even though I was a 61 BMI, my blood pressure was always 115/62, sugar's 75-80, and my cholesterol is 130. I thought I was healthy until I went through this. My liver showed signs of getting ready to riot. My gallbladder got destroyed by 37, filling with stones, which in turn caused me to have pancreatic attacks I knew nothing about until they opened me up.

This surgery saved my life, weight aside.

Even if you're healthy now, you're just running on borrowed time. There will be a point your body will begin to back pedal out of exhaustion, and your numbers will start climbing.

I was like you - healthy but overweight for my 20s, 30s, and 40s, Then everything went to hell. HIgh blood pressure, bordering Blood Sugar readings, arthritis in my knees, neck and back, etc. Losing the weight via RNY has helped immensely with all of that.

Since you are not having any issues right now you have to ask yourself another question: Have you ever been successful with weight loss and kept it off for any amount of time? Many here were great at losing weight but could not keep it off long term.

Also, why are you having DS instead of RNY or VSG? That surgery isn't even offered by my surgeon's practice - a BC/BS Center of Excellence. If you are uncomfortable with that surgery, can you ask for one of the others?

No one that responded actually read what OP wrote, she even bolded her question and still ... A bunch of generic responses about WLS not her specific surgery which is what she asked about. :lol::57_cry::lol:

@jessgnc

I think the DS is extreme to lose 130 pounds. Why did they recommend DS and not the Sleeve? My Dr didn't want to me as a young person to have to deal with a life time of malabsorption and the malabsorption with the DS is extreme, a lot more than RNY. So unless they havea good medical reason, not just that it has better weight loss, I would decline and ask for the sleeve or switch Drs.

ETA:

Yes, DS is definitely the nuke option. I got the sleeve knowing if I didn't lose enough with it, I had a lot more to lose than you, that I could get the DS down the road. If I regained in my 50s or 60s, I could revise to DS down the road. If you go this route, later down the road, you have no where else to go, this is it. I don't believe revisions are the solution to WLS regain, but if you go down this path, this is your one shot. I've lost over 180 pounds with my Sleeve. I don't see DS in my future.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

@Airstream88 - I kept it brief in the first post, but my body is broken. I've been working under medical supervision for the past 3 years on different drugs, diets, etc to lose weight without any luck. After exhausting all of our options, my doctor finally admitted the only thing we hadn't tried yet was surgery.

My doctor is one of the best DS surgeons in the country. We're doing a modified DS, not a full one. The reason for it is because of my diagnosis of being unable to lose weight, with a huge medical record to back it up. I went in wanting a VSG but my doctor told me that because of my history and inability to lose, that might not be a very successful option for me.

I'm comfortable with the surgery. I'm just nervous that I don't need this YET. I'm fat but healthy now. I know it's dumb once I say it out loud, but should I just wait until my body starts to fall apart before I have an optional surgery?

Just now, OutsideMatchInside said:

I think the DS is extreme to lose 130 pounds.

I concur. The duodenal switch is usually reserved for the super-morbidly obese (BMI 50 or greater) with severe metabolic disease processes (e.g., grossly uncontrolled diabetes).

I personally would not undergo a duodenal switch unless I had in excess of 200+ pounds to lose and suffered from some health problem that deranged my metabolic rate such as poorly controlled diabetes, PCOS, hypothyroidism, etc.

With 130 pounds to lose and no health problems or comorbidities, I would opt for a sleeve gastrectomy or gastric bypass. I personally had the sleeve and lost 100+ pounds without the malabsorption issues associated with the bypass or duodenal switch. Your mileage may vary. Good luck to you.

@OutsideMatchInside Thanks for reading the post. :)

It'll be a modified DS, so more of a RNY and VSG mixed together. He's keeping a longer intestinal track so there is more room for absorption. There is medical reason there (see above). I was all gung ho for the VSG initially. As for not doing the RNY, that's being avoided for personal reasons. My mother had an RNY and while I know rationally that she did everything wrong, I still am terrified to get the same procedure after watching her almost die multiple times due to surgery complications (and then having no success - again, entirely due to her being a bad patient).

1 minute ago, jessgnc said:

I know it's dumb once I say it out loud, but should I just wait until my body starts to fall apart before I have an optional surgery?

If you wait until you are entirely broken down, even though you have surgery it will be too late and you will have damage that surgery/weight loss won't repair. Like joint damage

I still wouldn't have the DS unless I was old or in a wheelchair.

Hopefully one of the like 3 people that had the DS that post here once a month will respond to you, eventually. I am sure they can paint a better picture.

2 minutes ago, Introversion said:

I concur. The duodenal switch is usually reserved for the super-morbidly obese (BMI 50 or greater) with severe metabolic disease processes (e.g., grossly uncontrolled diabetes).

My BMI is 50.1 I'm short.

1 minute ago, jessgnc said:

@OutsideMatchInside Thanks for reading the post. :)

It'll be a modified DS, so more of a RNY and VSG mixed together. He's keeping a longer intestinal track so there is more room for absorption. There is medical reason there (see above). I was all gung ho for the VSG initially. As for not doing the RNY, that's being avoided for personal reasons. My mother had an RNY and while I know rationally that she did everything wrong, I still am terrified to get the same procedure after watching her almost die multiple times due to surgery complications (and then having no success - again, entirely due to her being a bad patient).

I'm just going to say this. If you go to a Dr that is "the best DS" doctor then he is going to recommend the DS because that is what he does and that is what he likes. Just like a lot of Drs still do RNY because that is what they have the most experience with. There are still Drs that do the band even though there is tons of medical evidence that the have all kinds of complications because at the end of the day they know the band is a lot of residual income for them.

WLS and medicine in general in America if a for profit business. A DS is a lot more profitable than a sleeve,

You seem to have your mind made up between your Dr and seeing your Mom. So, I think you are just having cold feet. If your Dr suggests DS and you want a DS, have a DS. Losing weight sooner rather than later only benefits you.

Just now, OutsideMatchInside said:

I'm just going to say this. If you go to a Dr that is "the best DS" doctor then he is going to recommend the DS because that is what he does and that is what he likes. Just like a lot of Drs still do RNY because that is what they have the most experience with. There are still Drs that do the band even though there is tons of medical evidence that the have all kinds of complications because at the end of the day they know the band is a lot of residual income for them.

WLS and medicine in general in America if a for profit business. A DS is a lot more profitable than a sleeve,

You seem to have your mind made up between your Dr and seeing your Mom. So, I think you are just having cold feet. If your Dr suggests DS and you want a DS, have a DS. Losing weight sooner rather than later only benefits you.

Oh totally. I went to a surgeon. A surgeon is going to want to cut people open. A surgeon with a specialty is going to want to do his specialty. I've been doing a ton of research into the options though. I was totally against a DS when he brought it up at our initial appointment. Since then (around late November) I've educated myself on the topic as much as possible and DO feel this is the best option for me. He told me I could pick any of them but recommended the DS. I came to the decision on my own after extensive research though.

I appreciate everyone's input in trying to talk me out of this selection, but I'm confident in which surgery I am picking. The question is if I should be doing ANY of this right now. But as OutsideMatch said, this is cold feet. You're totally right. It still is scary though!

So your specific question is should you wait until your joints are ruined and your organs are damaged by metabolic syndrome and you have an enlarged heart before you have surgery?

The answer is no, but you already know that.