Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie: started off great and going downhill fast!!

Hello all, this is my first post and I hope you all can shed some insight! I have read a few posts (on this site and google) about this topic and no real answer has come to be!

I had my gastric bypass 4/4/17, and was doing great the first week! By my one week check up I was getting in 3 Protein Shakes a day, Water in between, and a few spoonfuls of yogurt and apple sauce through out the day! I was proud of how good I was feeling. Happy with my decision. Got my staples out (those things are the devil) and was happy!

Almost immediately the next day or so I started getting nauseous sipping my shake. Would set it down. Put back in fridge. Try to finish later. Same thing. Bubble a bite of yogurt. And vomit. I was so confused. Would sip some water... then same. Walked away from everything for hours and then try again and same results. Vomit. All day long.

Those first couple of days that it started (right after my one week mark) I was very confused and still trying. Now, at 3.5 weeks out I am down to one Protein Shake very slowly sipped over 2-3 hours and barely 30-40 oz of water sipped through out the day. That's it. Zofran was called in for me last week and no change. I've tried food again (pudding, yogurt, apple sauce) and all come back up and if I drink my shake "fast" and by fast I mean over the course of ONE hour it also gives me the same gagging nauseous feeling. I feel so sick all day long! On the flip side, I'm perfectly fine with just water, herbal tea, even gaterade, but it's ANYTHING thicker that causes issues.

i am a mom to FOUR kids. It feels exactly like the all day morning sickness I had with my two girls for nine months straight. I feel like I'm failing as a mother because I'm so energy depleted my patience wains fast. I love them dearly, and they are all younger than the age of six, so they have no clue what I'm going through. I keep telling them "mommy is sick" but they obviously don't know why. I can't live off just water and a sip or two of Protein shake. Help!

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein Shakes. Since you are unable to consume anything thicker than liquids, it means there is an underlying issue that needs to be identified and resolved.

In general, I think that the underlying problem might be due to either a stricture or an ulcer.

In the interim, you might try other options for obtaining the proper protein per day. You might try other formulations of protein supplements, such as Isopure premixed Protein Drink. This drink has the consistency of Water. I didn't like the taste but my wife did. Another option is to drink fortified milk.

32 ounces of 1% milk plus 1 cup of dry milk provides 56 grams of protein.

It will get better. At your stage I was struggling to get in half a Protein Shake. Your new stomach is that tiny and trying to heal. I was tired and weak too. But hang in there and just do what you can. Don't drink so much you get sick. It's ok to listen to your body and do small amounts of Protein shake, just be sure to get Water and Vitamins in. Before you know it, it will be several months later and you'll be eating solid food easily.

Hello all, this is my first post and I hope you all can shed some insight! I have read a few posts (on this site and google) about this topic and no real answer has come to be!
I had my gastric bypass 4/4/17, and was doing great the first week! By my one week check up I was getting in 3 Protein Shakes a day, Water in between, and a few spoonfuls of yogurt and apple sauce through out the day! I was proud of how good I was feeling. Happy with my decision. Got my staples out (those things are the devil) and was happy!
Almost immediately the next day or so I started getting nauseous sipping my shake. Would set it down. Put back in fridge. Try to finish later. Same thing. Bubble a bite of yogurt. And vomit. I was so confused. Would sip some water... then same. Walked away from everything for hours and then try again and same results. Vomit. All day long.
Those first couple of days that it started (right after my one week mark) I was very confused and still trying. Now, at 3.5 weeks out I am down to one Protein Shake very slowly sipped over 2-3 hours and barely 30-40 oz of water sipped through out the day. That's it. Zofran was called in for me last week and no change. I've tried food again (pudding, yogurt, apple sauce) and all come back up and if I drink my shake "fast" and by fast I mean over the course of ONE hour it also gives me the same gagging nauseous feeling. I feel so sick all day long! On the flip side, I'm perfectly fine with just water, herbal tea, even gaterade, but it's ANYTHING thicker that causes issues.
i am a mom to FOUR kids. It feels exactly like the all day morning sickness I had with my two girls for nine months straight. I feel like I'm failing as a mother because I'm so energy depleted my patience wains fast. I love them dearly, and they are all younger than the age of six, so they have no clue what I'm going through. I keep telling them "mommy is sick" but they obviously don't know why. I can't live off just water and a sip or two of Protein shake. Help!

Try the nectar Protien powder. It's consider a clear liquid, but does provide a good amount of Protein. Comes in many flavors. I have the lemonade and it's not as thick as a regular protein shake, and you only need 8oz to get a good mixure.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

On 4/29/2017 at 11:46 AM, Daenerys Targaryen said:

It will get better. At your stage I was struggling to get in half a Protein shake. Your new stomach is that tiny and trying to heal. I was tired and weak too. But hang in there and just do what you can. Don't drink so much you get sick. It's ok to listen to your body and do small amounts of Protein Shake, just be sure to get Water and Vitamins in. Before you know it, it will be several months later and you'll be eating solid food easily.

How far out from surgery are you now? I'm a goal setter (and try to be a goal crusher lol) so I need time frames in mind vs "some day it will be better" lol. At least with morning sickness I knew it would end when I delivered my babies!! Haha

I'm 9 months now and can eat easily as long as I listen to my stomach and stop when full. Some days have more restriction than others. A couple days ago, I was able to easily eat a slice of pizza and a cookie at a work lunch, but today for lunch I could only eat maybe 4-5 bites of salad before I was stuffed. Some days and meals have more/less restriction and some foods cause different levels of restriction. For the first six months, I couldn't eat very much at all and had a hard time not accidentally eating a bite too much and throwing up. Around the 6-7 month mark, that changed and the throwing up almost stopped (along with being able to eat more and more easily). The 6-7 month mark is common for that to occur from what I've read from other posters. Hope this gives you a time frame. The first six months is the biggest struggle for eating and getting sick, but also you fastest weight loss window.

I would talk to your surgeon about this. It sounds like it could be a stricture or ulcer, like James Marusek mentioned.

I had surgery same day as you, I just get my Protein and Fluid requirements in, it takes all day. I took zofran for the first 3 weeks, now only get nauseated when take my Multivitamin or Calcium, chewable, it makes me so nauseated. I had to have x ray to make sure everything was fine barium x ray I think. Check with your doctor and good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

I was trying to say it took 4 weeks to finally get all my requirements in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app