Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Columbus Area

Hello guys!!! I have been catching up on all that I missed! Hippie girl...hope you are home recovering, and have found peace with your decision!

Juli-->LOVE the new pic...cute haircut girl!!! Looking HOTT!

Welcome to everyone that is new!

Disney was wonderful! We got home yesterday morning, so you can imagin the weather shock we are having! I am a little worried bc I am fighting a respiratory bug already...and 4 days to surgery!!! I will catch up more later!

n

My husband and I attended the Fresh Start seminar last Fall. At that time I felt they were really pushing GB because of statements like "you can never eat steak or bread again with the lap band...". That made both of us stop and consider GB. We still have not moved forward with the process (partly due to trying to choose and insurance carrier that would cover it-that's a story in itself), but now that I pve started reading this forum, I'm starting to lean back to the lapband. Guess that means I was never too keen on GB to begin with. Not sure what my husband wil do... he's a pretty conservative guy and usually does whatever is recommended. Do you really feel like Dr. Myers has no preference now as to which procedure should be done?

We're also going to attend the seminar at OSU in a couple of weeks. The info on the website looks sort of outdated. Will they do lapband or do they strongly prefer to do GB? Do they make a big effort to ensure you have insurance coverage when applicable? Website sort of sounds as it that will be our headache whereas Fresh Start works hard to get ins to cover. I just have sooooo many questions.... Thanks in advance.

My husband and I attended the Fresh Start seminar last Fall. At that time I felt they were really pushing GB because of statements like "you can never eat steak or bread again with the lap band...". That made both of us stop and consider GB. We still have not moved forward with the process (partly due to trying to choose and insurance carrier that would cover it-that's a story in itself), but now that I pve started reading this forum, I'm starting to lean back to the lapband. Guess that means I was never too keen on GB to begin with. Not sure what my husband wil do... he's a pretty conservative guy and usually does whatever is recommended. Do you really feel like Dr. Myers has no preference now as to which procedure should be done?

We're also going to attend the seminar at OSU in a couple of weeks. The info on the website looks sort of outdated. Will they do lapband or do they strongly prefer to do GB? Do they make a big effort to ensure you have insurance coverage when applicable? Website sort of sounds as it that will be our headache whereas Fresh Start works hard to get ins to cover. I just have sooooo many questions.... Thanks in advance.

I started at Fresh Start last fall... I went in knowing a lot about the lapband and the possible complications (such as maybe not being able to tolerate breads/some meats) and I guess I didn't pick up on a lot of those kinds of things being said at the seminar. However, those are definitely true possibilities. Some people can tolerate them, some can't. You won't know until you are banded. The same can be said for GB patients also. They can't eat sugar in most forms which cuts out a lot food choices. They also have so many other complications just from the surgery itself. Ultimately you have to decide which is the best surgery for you. Which risks are worth taking for you. What type of work you are willing to put into this process to get yourself healthy. What long-term plans you have put in place to help you not gain the weight back once you hit the goal you set for yourself.

I think Dr. Myers still may have a preference for GB... it's easier in the short run for people to drop the weight having that surgery. But if you go to him and say you want the lap-band I do not think he'd try to talk you out of it. Like I said before he's been super supportive of me and has done all he can do to assure that I'm successful with this tool. The others I know that have been banded by him all seem to feel the same way. He's like a rock star at our support group meetings. Everyone's excited to see him whether they've been banded or had GB.

Personally for me, I had no doubts. I did NOT want my insides cut up and rearranged. I knew I'd be willing to do the work and I prepared myself for a slow and steady walk to the finish line. I wanted to do it in the most healthful way I could and not set myself up for issues with things like malnutrition. I also did not like the higher risk of death with GB and the percentage was significantly lower with LB.

So I'm rambling now, but those are my thoughts! Good luck to you.

Hi Too,

Heather covered Fresh Start with Dr. Myers, I had Dr. Mikami at OSU.

I didn't have insurance issues, I knew I was covered before I started at OSU, so that wasn't a concern for me.

Dr. Mikami talks about the statistics and about your commitment to the process. Because with lapbanding it's the individual's ability to do the right thing that is the largest factor in their overall success.

As I see it, GB is the right choice for someone who needs to get the weight off quickly for medical reasons, for people who can't exercise at all until they get a substantial amount off, or for people who would rather give over control to the surgeon instead of giving dieting (though it's not really a diet, but you need to be uber mindful of what you eat) one last time.

It is easy to not lose weight with the lapband if you don't have your priorities aligned. But it's a beautiful thing to lose weight with the band when you do.

PM me if you want to talk more in depth.

Juli

I hope you get to feeling better and that it does not interfere with your procedure. Hope to hear from you after your surgery and good luck. What did they advise you to take with you to the hospital

Too--

At Mount Carmel they suggest the Band if your BMI is 50 or less. They do tend to suggest GB if you have diabetes. They are very clear that the band is a much slower weight loss, but you tend to have equal results a year out...good luck!

hey Iam back!!

I have been going thru computer withdraw. I had moved it from the house to our store so I am glad to be back at work and back online.

Surgery went as planned.

I was banded with the realize band . My dr also repaired a hiatial hernia that I did not know I had while they were in there. Spent one night in the hospital. Glad I did so I could get the good pain drugs but they sure don’t let you sleep in a hospital. I had a roommate who's iv was in wrong so every time she moved her machine would go off like an alarm.

So between that and the nurses coming in to do monitoring I was ready to go home and sleep.

The first two days were pretty good. By the third I was in a lot more pain. I had a lot of pains in my chest and left shoulder. I guess it was the gas. Today I am just pretty sore around my port incesion. Feeling pretty good overall.

thanks for sending all your good thoughts

HI toofat

I too attended the fresh start seminar but soon found out that they would not accept me because I was a self pay and they were not set up for that

so I went to OSU and Dr Needleman did my surgery and it has been wonderful

He is a very good surgeon and his staff is great. Everything went smoothly and I have now had my band for 8 months and I have been loosing steadily for most of the 8 months but you do have to watch what you eat. You really must stay away from the high calorie liquids. I eat most anything my family eats only in much smaller portions. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Hippiegirl, you were on all of our minds yesterday at the get together. I'm glad you checked in... we were starting to worry!

Glad all is going well for you! Welcome to the band wagon :-)

Hippie chick!

YeeHaw! You are banded and on the mend! It's fantastic to see you up and about. Thanks for checking in!

Yah Hippie Girl!!!! I am sooo happy for you! Glad all is well, and you are back to the net-world! :=) We were all worried about you! Well, I guess that means I am next....39 hours and counting!

Yah Hippie Girl!!!! I am sooo happy for you! Glad all is well, and you are back to the net-world! :=) We were all worried about you! Well, I guess that means I am next....39 hours and counting!

Nurse Nikki, I am so excited for you,are you ready? Nervous,excited?

Where are you having the procedure done? I am having mine at Barix by Dr. Ramos. I finally have a set date of 3/26. I cannot wait to hear everything about the procedure when you get back. I will be thinking of you