Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

YIKES! weight loss significantly slowed. Help.

Hi everyone -

I need help and advice from all. I got banded 4 weeks ago. At first everything was great, I lost a lot the first two weeks and didn't feel hungry. But since I entered the mushies stage, I am SO HUNGRY. I don't go over my alloted 1000 daily calories, and I have not lost any weight in the past two weeks, in fact I gained a pound. I wasn't planning on getting my first fill until February, but does this mean I should plan on getting a fill sooner? Am I doing something wrong with my diet? I have read all the food boards and have gotten some great food ideas for this stage, but like I said, I don't feel full at all (OK if I eat too fast, it does hurt at first and it reminds me to slow down). Will this soon pass? Do I expect too much of the lap band, and I just have to be stronger?

HELP!!!

Girl, you've lost 21 pounds! Congratulations! Your band is wide open and you're still able to eat as preband. This is a temporary stage and you will get through it. Are you eating foods that satisfy you? Any foods that you can blend can be eaten. So whatever you fix for your family can be thoroughly blended. Hang in there!

Normal, normal, normal, normal!! Mom, your body is not supposed to be "happy" dropping 21 lbs in four weeks. It's putting the brakes on especially because you're now taking in more solid food. This is absolutely what is supposed to be happening. This is not a race!

Take your time to adjust to your new smaller size, let your body adjust to its new regimen of fewer calories, and work on not letting yourself get too hungry. Don't watch the scale for signs of success, just remember that you have made an amazing start and are well on your way.

What's your ultimate goal weight? You're doing great!!

Several thoughts:

1) The most important is that the band is not designed to work without a fill, so once the post-op swelling in your stomach goes down, you are essentially the same as you were pre-op, anatomically speaking. Some people are lucky and never need a fill, but most do. If you feel little or no restriction, you probably should get a fill whenever your doctor will let you.

2) By banded standards, you are a "lightweight," meaning you never had as much to lose in the first place as most of us did. Therefore, you should not expect to lose weight at the same rate as heavier people do.

3) 1000 calories is an awfully low level to start off with. If that is what your doctor or nutritionist told you to do, then follow their advice, but such a low calorie level can wreak havoc with your metabolism making it harder to lose weight and much easier to re-gain. My personal belief is that we get the band in order to allow the band to tell us when to stop eating. Diets probably never worked for you before. There's no reason to believe they will now. With the band, we need to be mindful of what we eat in order to ensure that we are getting good nutrition, but we shouldn't be counting calories, in my opinion. No point in having surgery just so we can continue counting calories, which never worked for us before.

You've obviously got a great attitude and are wanting to do all the right things. This will help you a lot. But as Marie said, relax. You'll get there. You just won't get there overnight.

Nancy

Hi,

I was banded 12-14-04 and I am already going through the same thing you are! I AM HUNGRY! So...its good to hear its normal.

Staci

Orlando

banded 12-14-04 Mexico

"Well behaved woman rarely make history" Laurel Thatcher Ullrich

Alex, I think that's what happened to me, I dropped all my weight the first 2 weeks, 15 lbs, then up 1.5, then -17.5, now stuck at -18. I really feel my body is saying, "hold it", she's not feeding us a lot now, we got to store what we got. Also I've lost inches, don't know how many, but I can tell, yipee.

The -18 in 3 weeks was through Christmas and mushy stage, so hopefully next week I will see a drop, but then again, I'm starting solids, who knows!

When I get a desire for something sweet, I grab a piece of s/f candy, it really helps. I also use the chocolate Calcium pieces, that cures cravings for chocolate. Will be intersting to see how the fill does Jan 10.

Happy New Year Everyone!

When I get a desire for something sweet, I grab a piece of s/f candy, it really helps. I also use the chocolate Calcium pieces, that cures cravings for chocolate. Will be intersting to see how the fill does Jan 10.

Can you really have those chewy calcium chews? They don't get stuck in the stoma? That would really be great. Viactiv also makes one of those as Multivitamins. I would really like to have those if I could.

Obviously, you can't take a few Chomps and swallow, ya gotta chew chew chew chew. Also, you could do half and see how it goes, then the other half, plus it's a healthy. I really think s/f hard candy and the viactiv is why I have managed to keep from grazing, (I put these on top of the real chocolates my dh can eat, he has to dig a little, LOL).Don't forget your liquid vitamins!

Oh yea, I finally broke the stuck on 18 lb , -20.5 now :banana .

Guest SliminJenn

Man, I am 3 months out and have only lost about 31 pounds, could you be getting ready for your period? I always stand still on my weight for 2 weeks before and during the 1st few days of it. Then as soon as it is over I have lost like 5-8 pounds. About the fill, I had my 1st fill at 6 weeks out and I am almost to the point of needing another one. Keep in touch to let me know how you r doing.

295/264/170?

5'9"-5'10"

Dr.Morand(Maine)