Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alternate ways to deal with excess skin

Hello and Congrats to everyone! I know not everyone has a fantabulous insurance plan that will pay for all the plastics we want, so I wanted to ask everyone how have you dealt with your excess skin. There are so many myths about doing certain exercises, using body scrub to bring back elasticity etc., etc.., but truth being known, what has Really Worked? Personally, I have the flabby arms, the apron, and a big issue with my thighs (my thighs are very solid, but the excess skin makes me feel like a baby wearing a diaper).., not trying to sound gross or graphic, but am sure am not the only person who has thighs like that- and wants them Gone.

So I guess basically what I am asking is, what has each of you found that Really Worked without plastic surgery?

Again, not all of us want to go back under the knife and not all of us are covered for plastics but we all Do want options that are either affordable or free..

Thanks all for advice, suggestions and support

anything worth doing is Never easy

This is the one thing that takes away from the joy of losing the weight. I lost 50 lbs in the year before I did the sleeve procedure. So in total I have now lost 79 lbs! I still have 45 to go. My thighs look like they are melting-it's frightening. No shorts for me and I'm going on a beach vacation in a month! I know I have done this to myself, but cannot imagine what another 45lb weight loss will do. I have spent the last year trying products-nothing has helped-not any of the tightening creams, tried Nu-Face on them (didn't work on turkey-neck either), scrubs, etc. I told my daughter maybe I will get 1/2 leg tattoos of an ocean scene with waves. My arms are bad, as well as my stomach and new turkey neck. My legs though are the most dramatic. I've come to realize I need a total body reconstruction. If I was 30, I would definitely bite the bullet and pay to get it done, but at 60, I'm more interested in retiring. I always have said, tan fat looks better than pale fat, not sure yet about tan saggy skin looks better than pale saggy skin. Where is our miracle!!!!!!!

Unfortunately - Like an old elastic band - Some people have lost the elasticity in their skin and there is no way to get it to 'spring back' and we choose to go under the knife in the search of ourselves - or normality - or just the ability to feel less disfigured. Some people are lucky though - Have more elastic skin and do not have so many problems.

Tucking it in doesn't help for everyone - There is nothing I have found that helped for me - Because I knew all the time underneath I felt - In many ways - Just as disfigured as I was when I was overweight.

The only way I found my normality was to have the skin removed (Or all that I could) It is a shame there is no miracle cream or anything that helps that I know of... You could get Spanx etc to help disguise it. I decided to get the skin removed as I was feeling worse in myself after losing the weight because it made me feel like a freak.

I do hope someone on here can help you to find some ways.... Unfortunately I am afraid I could not.

Good luck!

Edited by Scamp

My insurance company won't pay for plastics so I will be stuck with the excess skin. I have been in menopause for a long time so I think that has even made it worse. My arms really hang on the under side but the top looks pretty good. I wear compression clothing when I work out, it really helps to hold it in. I also bought a miracle suit on Amazon for thighs. I don't think anyone would notice my extra thigh skin with clothes on but look out when I go bare legged. Years ago I had a mandatory abdominoplasty because they had to do exploratory surgery for cancer. At that time they got rid of the apron and my belly button. Now my abdomen hangs but not low enough where I would approved for plastic surgery. I have more weight to lose so I am hoping my skin maintains somewhat. Not too hopeful. I love to swim so I bought swim shorts and a tankini top.

This is my worst fear of loosing weight! I want to be skinny so bad but I am almost sure that I am not going to be totally happy with the results (sagging skin). There is no way I can afford plastic surgery. Someone please come up with a miracle before I loose all the weight!!!!

It all really does depend on the person, age, skin etc. Just like pregnancy, some women are back in their jeans the day after and some never get back into them. I went to a gym a few times a week after surgery and worked really hard and still had to have plastics.

Kate

I had a panni/TT. Insurance won't cover arms/thighs or boobs. I just find clothes that I feel comfortable in. IE: longer sleeves, bermuda shorts, etc... Though, I still wear tank tops and don't really care about the sagging arm skin.

I look at it as that is what I did to myself by being so fat. It's almost like a badge of honor now, the result of losing/maintaining a 170 lb weight loss. I've made peace with it, accepted that that is what I'm left with.

I also lift weights to bulk up my arms so the hanging skin doesn't look as bad....

Edited by TheRealMeIsHere!

I have been seeing decent results lately with Fasciablasting and dry skin brushing. It isn't plastic surgery results, but a definite improvement. Especially on my thighs.

I'm not doing weights because my goals are mainly to look good in clothes not naked. My arms are already 2x the size they should be because of the amount of skin hanging on them. Luckily the skin compresses pretty tightly so I can stuff my arms into most things. It is really causing a problem with dresses. So if I added muscle to arms that are already too big from some size 8/10 dresses and tops. I would be stuck wearing 12 or larger which look like tents on me. Same issue with legs. My waist is really small even with the skin.

I wear a lot of Shapewear and compression clothing when I work out. My skin is pretty empty for the most part, not much fat left in it, so is compresses nicely in clothes and tight clothes are the most comfortable because they don't allow the skin to move. Skin flopping around can be really uncomfortable, so compressing it and holding it tight is really comfortable.

Shorts are not in my future any time soon, even with plastics I have never seen a picture of a good thigh surgery, good enough to wear shorts. I'm a grown woman at the end of the say so wearing dresses in the summer is a better option anyway.

As far as summer/beach/water. I do active stuff Water activities so I wear like surfer stuff with rash gards and it covers everything and holds it tight. I like a lot of meshy stuff, its see through so still cute but it holds you.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I'm really wanted get skin surgery and my baratric doctor tell me says I would wait till two years to get skin surgery I'm really wanted get rid my body sagged,arms and mores but I'm on post operation of gastric bypass surgery January 2017