Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op liquid phase

I read somewhere (not from my dr) that the portion sizes of 4-6 oz given for the post op diet are to help create the pouch. Is this true? If I am still on full liquids, do I need to just have the 4-6 ounces and then not have anything else except maybe Water for a few hours? The reason I ask is that the 4-6 ounces does not fill me up. So, like would it be okay to have some broth and then if I'm still hungry have a Protein shake or baby food fruit (I'm allowed this on full liquids) or do I need to wait a few hours in between?

Is this what they are referring to when they say bandster hell?

That is not my understanding. My instructions from my clinic say to drink until you are satisfied, but very carefully and slowly, as you don't want to be vomiting (which can cause the band to slip).

My understanding is that having the lap band itself does not create a great deal of restriction (although it may be enough for some). I also understand that only drinking your calories the first week or two is to allow your stomach and your band time to heal, and the top part of your stomach, which is the banded part doesn't have to work to digest liquids, since they just "slide" on through.

This is the information I received, but I am not an Dr. :bandit

Mandi, You probably wont get a full feeling while on liquids. I never did, but I kept my "meals" to 4-5 oz each. I did a Protein Shake for Breakfast, broth for lunch and dinner. And lots of Water.< /p>

Plus a sugarfree popsicle here and there helped. The liquid just runs thru the band. I am 31 days out and have not experienced bandster hell yet. LOL

I was also banded by Dr. Benavides one day earlier than Mandi, but I've having the opposite problem. I can't seem to eat/drink any more than about 3 oz. without getting nauseated and having those sharp pains.....I'm guessing it's gas. I feel like I just need to let out a BIG burp. I'm also kind of worried because I still feel pretty bad still. I'm nauseated from the time I get up (6:00 a.m.) until about 3:00 p.m. My incisions look good, and I have no fever.....but feel quite terrible. Any suggestions would be GREAT....Is this normal? Now that I've said all this I'll probably go straight from one end of the spectrum to the other.....or bandster hell as everyone says..LOL.

I was banded on September 28 and am up to eating mushie food and tolerate them fine and am feel full.

I also still have gas pressure especially in my left shoulder.

Things should be better in a few days for all of us. Remember we are only a few days out really.

Good luck to everyone!!!

4leafclover-I have been very lucky and have not had much nausea at all. And, I burp all the time. After every time I eat and drink and I burp a lot. It relieves the pressure and they just come out by themselves....I don't force them. I do have to get up and walk around to get them to come up though. Today was the first day I have felt pretty good and most of my pain is gone. My incision is oozing yellow Fluid and is not scabbing over but I emailed some pictures of it to Dr B today and he said it looks fine.

I don't really have any suggestions for you other than to walk. Have you been walking? That helps me be able to burp when I need to. And, it's just helped me to feel better overall in general. Good luck and if you don't feel better in a few days, call the office and maybe they can give you some suggestions.

Yes, I walk quite a bit. I went back to work. I'm a nurse....so those long hallways have helped with that. I'm going to call them tomorrow if I'm not feeling any better. Weird though it's only during the day. I feel fine now. I haven't had any vomiting or anything.....just severe nausea. But it has made me wonder if I should've had the band. I CAN'T stand being nauseated.....I know we are only a few days out. I HOPE it gets better because if not I have a LONG LONG time to go with it...LOL

Maybe you could take Emetrol. It's over the counter. It has always helped me in the past with nausea. I would ask the dr first though.

The nausea will go away. Mine lasted about 10 days then disappeared. I figured it was from the drastic change in diet that all of us have done. Give it a little more time, then you will wake up feeling great.....Dave

I felt much better today. Thank goodness!! Now I'm starting to feel hungry.....go figure. I CAN'T wait to start mushies...only a few more days. Mandi, I also have my first fill on 10/30/07.

4leafclover-Really? What time is your appointment? I haven't actually made mine with the aftercare center yet but that is the day of my appt w/ Dr B so I'm hoping to get my fill appt. that day too. I need to get in gear and call to make the appt. I hope to get mine early morning so I can get back to work. We will be doing Halloween preparations that day. Halloween is always a huge competition at my work.

Did they tell you that you could start mushies on day 10? That's what they told us even though the sheet says 2 weeks. I'm starting mine this weekend!!!

Has your largest incision scabbed over yet?

I was banded on the 25th. Its so nice to hear about your experiences. I had some of the same questions about the diet and feeling hungry. But I am on a 2 week clear liquid diet, which is kicking my bum. No Soup or anything.

Regarding the 4-5oz I was instructed to consume no more than 4oz over 1 hour. I have found that impossible unless I drink something every hour and very slowly. I also get really hungry, but I notice the growling when I see, smell, or hear about food.

Luckily I never experienced any nausea or vomiting and my burps and toots come more freely than before. Although I never got the evil shoulder gas pain, I did live on gas-ex because I got so gassy.

All of my incisons are scabbed over and 2 have skinned over. I heal like Wolverine, always have.

The hunger is murder, for me this has certainly been Bandster Hell.