Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long of a wait?



Recommended Posts

I do not qualify for GS because I don't have a major co-morbidity but do have a BMI of 36. I am desperate for help so am looking at Mexico as an option. How long does it take to have surgery scheduled? Do they have as many hoops to jump through as in the states? Is it a faster process in Mexico? Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you try through your insurance?

thats the requirements of my insurance too, and I didn t have the co morbidities. I was able to get approved bc my doctor said it was medically necessary. I've got hip/joint pain. I do have sleep apnea, but listed as mild at the worst. My BMI was 37

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for replying! Was it your primary care doctor that said it was medically nessessary or the bariatric surgeon? I do have insurance - Tricare Prime through the military. The military doctor submitted referral to the weight loss clinic but the clinic won't even see me because they said insurance won't cover it. The only suggestion the receptionist had was to gain 20 lbs so I'd qualify. I sure don't want to do that because not only do you have to gain it but she stated I'd have to maintain it for 4 months. I feel so poorly already; I can't imagine putting on more weight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mrsa said:

I do not qualify for GS because I don't have a major co-morbidity but do have a BMI of 36. I am desperate for help so am looking at Mexico as an option. How long does it take to have surgery scheduled? Do they have as many hoops to jump through as in the states? Is it a faster process in Mexico? Thank you for any insight you can provide.

I would like the opportunity to discuss what we offer our patients. If I can assist you with any questions or concerns you may have, please feel free to email me Bill@Bariatricpal.com or give me a call 619-900-7808.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had tricare prime too. have you had a sleep study done? I would suggest that. Do you snore at night? Sleep apnea is a co morbidity and most obese patients have this issue. Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Mrsa said:

Thank you so much for replying! Was it your primary care doctor that said it was medically nessessary or the bariatric surgeon? I do have insurance - Tricare Prime through the military. The military doctor submitted referral to the weight loss clinic but the clinic won't even see me because they said insurance won't cover it. The only suggestion the receptionist had was to gain 20 lbs so I'd qualify. I sure don't want to do that because not only do you have to gain it but she stated I'd have to maintain it for 4 months. I feel so poorly already; I can't imagine putting on more weight!

My initial plan was Mexico. But I figured why not try and see what happens??

I didn't need a referral, so I was able to go directly to the bariatric practice. I have low blood pressure, great blood work and a healthy heart. I was desperate and thought only severe sleep apnea would qualify me, but I only had a mild case.

My insurance company said if the doctor (bariatric) wrote a letter stating it was medically necessary, it could be covered. I didn't see the letter, but I have knee and hip pain, some back pain too. Most of my complaints were orthopedic and maybe that with the mild sleep apnea did the trick?

im thinking logically, a hip and knee replacement is more money and more recovery with PT. So it's likely in the best interest of insurance to cover this...plus it's preventative. My family has a history of high BP, heart problems and diabetes. Why wait until those develop.

I would NOT gain weight! I was so miserable at my weight to begin with, that the thought of adding any more was terrible. Then maintain it?? Probably some skinny person who has never struggled with weight thinks that's great advice. Plus you usually lose 65% of your excess weight (I know the stats may be different, but that's what my doc told me).

Tey foe the sleep study. Make sure they know if you have aches or pains. Or any rashes from the excess fat/skin.

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for your reply and guidance. In order to get a sleep study, did you have to jump through hoops or just request one? I'm just surprised the bariatric center wouldn't even see me; I was hoping they could help me find a loophole or way to go ahead with a treatment. Tricare granted 4 visits so just can't believe they wouldn't even schedule a visit. I'm in a desperate place that I've not experienced before. Again, thank you for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just get a referral from your pcm. Tell them you don't feel rested when you wake up. Is there another bariatric surgeon you can see? If so, then just call tricare and change the physician on the referral.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually signs of sleep apnea are snoring and stopping breathing when sleeping (spouse or friend may tell you if they notice). Sometimes I would wake up sort of gasping for air.

Other signs are felling tired all the time (that was mentioned above), falling asleep every time you sit Dow to read or watch a show or Movie. Restless leg syndrome are somehow correlated with it too- according to my pulmonologist.

Maybe look into a different practice. My bariatric practice saw me and they had in house pulmonary, endoscope, psychologist & cardio docs. I did that all on my own bc I could get it done quicker by me. I was able to get my surgery done in less then 2 months from my initial visit....meanwhile I was going to Mexico bc I didn't think I would qualify. Crazy.

I hope you find a way. I felt the same as you and it's like once I decided this was the route I was taking, I wanted it DONE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes! Thank you! That's exactly it. I'm grasping at everything I can. Thank you for the advice. I'm so shocked to hear you got it all done in 2 months! When I talked to the receptionist at the bariatric center, she told me IF I gained the 20 lbs, the earliest appointment right now is in June. After that, I would have to see a nutritionist for 4 months before final approval. She said expect it to take a year. I felt so defeated! Y'all are giving me hope to not give up. I am going to try to schedule a sleep study as I know my snoring has gotten worse. Again, thank you for your advice and words of encouragement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, VSG4Mag said:

My initial plan was Mexico. But I figured why not try and see what happens??

I didn't need a referral, so I was able to go directly to the bariatric practice. I have low blood pressure, great blood work and a healthy heart. I was desperate and thought only severe sleep apnea would qualify me, but I only had a mild case.

My insurance company said if the doctor (bariatric) wrote a letter stating it was medically necessary, it could be covered. I didn't see the letter, but I have knee and hip pain, some back pain too. Most of my complaints were orthopedic and maybe that with the mild sleep apnea did the trick?

im thinking logically, a hip and knee replacement is more money and more recovery with PT. So it's likely in the best interest of insurance to cover this...plus it's preventative. My family has a history of high BP, heart problems and diabetes. Why wait until those develop.

I would NOT gain weight! I was so miserable at my weight to begin with, that the thought of adding any more was terrible. Then maintain it?? Probably some skinny person who has never struggled with weight thinks that's great advice. Plus you usually lose 65% of your excess weight (I know the stats may be different, but that's what my doc told me).

Tey foe the sleep study. Make sure they know if you have aches or pains. Or any rashes from the excess fat/skin.

Good luck.

Thank you so much! You've given me a glimpse of hope. I am going to pursue that. I really appreciate your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Mississippi Girl said:

I did not qualify either. I went to Mexico and had a wonderful experience. It only took me a few weeks to get it done once I did my research and scheduled appointment. Good Luck!!

I had read and watched many videos on Mexico and was totally ready to go. Before persuing that, I figured why not give it a go with insurance? That way at least I can say I tried, and obviously it will be no money out of pocket

I really thought Mexico was where I'd end up. I've heard a lot of good things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mrsa said:

Yes! Thank you! That's exactly it. I'm grasping at everything I can. Thank you for the advice. I'm so shocked to hear you got it all done in 2 months! When I talked to the receptionist at the bariatric center, she told me IF I gained the 20 lbs, the earliest appointment right now is in June. After that, I would have to see a nutritionist for 4 months before final approval. She said expect it to take a year. I felt so defeated! Y'all are giving me hope to not give up. I am going to try to schedule a sleep study as I know my snoring has gotten worse. Again, thank you for your advice and words of encouragement.

Where are you located? Maybe there is a different bariatric group you could try?

2 months is not normal. I think they were a little shocked when in just over 2 weeks I had done the endoscope, cardiologist, Pulmonologist, psych, nutritionist and sleep study. I had just had a full work up by my primary doctor and they accepted those blood tests. I literally left my first appointment and made most of the appointments right in the parking lot. I got lucky because I was able to get into those docs so quickly.

The hardest one for me was psych bc there is a long list from my insurance company, but NOBODY seemed to do bariatric clearances. I literally called 20+. I finally called a local bariatric group (mine is an hour + away) and they were able to give me a name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tricare south prime and was one month from consultation to surgery. I did not have to do a psych consult or a nutritionist (the docs office had one and so did the hospital). My BMI was 40 and it fluctuated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • SabrinaGoddess

      I am OFFICIALLY SLEEVED! (surgery was Dec 9th, 2019)
      It was an easy procedure for me and I am not having complications. If you want to see part one of my journey go here: https://sabrinagoddess.com/life-on-the-other-side-post-op-wls
      I will be making new posts during this whole process!

      · 1 reply
      1. GreenTealael

        💚CONGRATULATIONS💚

    • SabrinaGoddess

      TOMORROW IS MY DAY! (note this did not post properly so I am still  posting it after the fact)
      I am so very excited! My sister is here with me and my son. I am so excited. My anesthesiologist called me tonight to discuss our plans for tomorrow. I am not feeling nervous at all. Just excited for the future!
      I did buy a few bottles of CFpreop which is really suppose to help you stay hydrated. It's pricey but I feel it's worth it. I tried the Watermelon tonight. I have to stop all liquids after midnight and I go into the hospital at 5:30am for check in. My surgery is at 8am.
      SO HAPPY for this journey!
      You can get the CFpreop on Amazon if anyone is interested. It comes in Watermelon and White Grape.
      Read my night before thoughts on: www.SabrinaGoddess.com

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Arabesque

      Today I said I’m an XS or size 8 (Aust) at a clothing store. I never thought I’d say those words and say them with confidence. And when I commented a dress was too big on me I was told it was the smallest size. As was the belt I wanted. 
       
      I tried on a slim fitting singlet dress yesterday & was shocked to realise the lumpy bits on the dress were my hip bones. I have an hour glass shape so I always had hips but never ones that stuck out on the front of my body! 

      I’ve been a size 10 before - for about 5 minutes. While I am now confident about saying I’m an 8, clothes shopping is all still a bit freaky for me. It’s not that I’m focussed on the size on the label. I’m well aware the cut/line of the clothes and the designer’s style will dictate what size I need or if it will suit my body shape. The size is the starting point & it’s starting at an 8/XS/38 which is a big mind set change. It’s thinking a pair of pants will be too small & discovering they are almost too big. 

      While I’m still coming to terms with my actual new body shape and size, I’m very happy to be in this new reality. 
       
      · 2 replies
      1. ms.sss

        Yay!!

      2. ms.sss

        ...ah! I see you are from Brisbane! We lived there for a year when Mr. got a work contract there.

        I have fond (and not-so-fond, lol) memories of the weather there this time of year. It it crazy hot yet?

    • Krestel

      Meal replacement shakes are soooooo good when you have a sore throat and don't feel good enough to cook. Plus, I always have lots of them at home. So I'm not tempted to grab crap from McDonalds (which has the best cold "medication"). 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Arabesque

      This morning I had an abdominal ultra sound because apparently my cholesterol keeps rising.
      I don’t get it. My cholesterol was always fine & now when I eat less of everything & have lost weight it starts to go up.

      My intake of fats & oils has decreased (not that I was a big fried food person before anyway) & not just because I eat way less. Always cut the fat of meats, still don’t eat bacon, use spray olive oil instead of regular oil. Even the tub of butter in my fridge has been there since before May. Lol.
      I just don’t get it? Is it because I don’t eat anywhere near the amount of vegetables I ate before? It surely can’t be because I eat a piece of cheese every day which I didn’t before? Are all my hormones screwed up? 
      Sigh! 
      · 3 replies
      1. Krestel

        Cholesterol seems to be odd that way. I've got a suuuuper skinny brother-in-law who has sky high cholesterol. So don't let the whole "overweight" thing fool you. They seem to find it in people who have the genetic predispositions for it nowadays it seems. Our bodies are really still a mystery of how they react to certain changes. Just keep at it and keep talking to your doctor. Who knows, you could be a medical mystery?!? Embrace the challenge.

        https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/cholesterol/about-cholesterol/common-misconceptions-about-cholesterol

        Think of it this way, you now have an excuse to try ostrich meat! http://safariostrich.co.za/2016/06/ostrich-meat-benefits/

        PS. Gah hormones!

      2. Arabesque

        My dietician thinks it may be the regulatory hormones too & that my liver & gall could be having a freak out from the weight loss. It may be causing my low BP too. Hopefully the abdominal ultra sound will show something when I get the results.
        My maternal grandmother had issues which developed in her 70s but she’s the only one. No heart probs, no cholesterol worries in any one else (incl 13 aunts & uncles & my parents) - cancer seems to be our worry - sad face. And they still live into the 80s & 90s.
        Just strange that for 53 yrs my levels have been normal & 6months of weight loss & it’s now high.
        Don’t know about eating ostrich though that could just be burying my head in the sand - tee hee hee.

      3. Arabesque

        PS - My menopausal symptoms are still MRI. Even with a 42.5 degree day (108F) last Friday not a twinge of a hot flush. Best non scale victory ever. Guess you win some hormonal battles but lose others.

        PPS - Wrapping Christmas presents with air con cranked up today even though it’s only 33C. Ho ho ho

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×