Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What tasty things do you guys blend in with your protein shakes?

I've been drinking the Premier Protein shakes and wondered what kind of low carb/high Protein smoothies some of you have created with your shakes? I've been reading about chia seeds and will buy some of those next time I go to the store, and maybe flax seeds too, but fruit wise, all I can think of is the berry family. Any suggestions?

Fruits can be tricky with low carb. Strawberries and peaches are on the lower end, but it's easy to get carried away. Even at 1/2 a cup peaches can have 17-22g of a carbs per serving depending on the brand. Kind of depends on what your carb goals are for the day. If there's something I really want that I know is a bit higher then I just try to adjust accordingly to get things down. I typically mix a few slices of pears or peaches in with my cottage cheese. I did mix some fruit into my vanilla Protein Shakes during my full liquid phase to add a bit of flavor to them.

1 minute ago, orionburn said:

Fruits can be tricky with low carb. Strawberries and peaches are on the lower end, but it's easy to get carried away. Even at 1/2 a cup peaches can have 17-22g of a carbs per serving depending on the brand. Kind of depends on what your carb goals are for the day. If there's something I really want that I know is a bit higher then I just try to adjust accordingly to get things down. I typically mix a few slices of pears or peaches in with my cottage cheese. I did mix some fruit into my vanilla Protein shakes during my full liquid phase to add a bit of flavor to them.

I think strawberries are pretty good. They're 0.7 net carbs per strawberry. I blend my shakes in a magic bullet so I could only fit three at most. I've done low carb a lot in the last ten years, keeping my net carbs below 20 a day. I've never realized until this week that peaches are on the lower end of the carb spectrum, being 11.7 grams per peach. Like you, if I ate a half or whole, I'd just cut back somewhere else in my day.

Oh, and I love pears so much. I've never eaten them low carbing though.

1 hour ago, Finding_Stacy said:

Oh, and I love pears so much. I've never eaten them low carbing though.

Cantaloupe and honeydew melons are supposed to be lower in carbs as well, but I hate both...lol.

9 minutes ago, orionburn said:

Cantaloupe and honeydew melons are supposed to be lower in carbs as well, but I hate both...lol.

Me too. I hate all melons, including watermelons.

I added in some Greek yogurt from time to time given its carb content is likely lower than most fruits. Depending on the amount of Protein in your shake and/or if you are using milk it might be overkill on the protein in a single serving.

Big fan of Red Fruits here (Cherries, Strawberries, Raspberries, etc.) with a strawberry flavored Protein Powder (Vitamin Shoppe) and enough Water to create the desired consistency.

Daily Morning move is Protein Shake made from a Cold-Brewed coffee and a scoop of Cookies & Cream Protein powder. This is a MUST.