Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Irrational Fears (phobias and the like)

DerickM

Bees. And I'm freaked about every other flying insect because of it, too.

Me too. I once left my daughter in the car and jumped out when a wasp flew in. I had to have someone else shoo it out. I get goose bumps and my heart just starts pounding. SOmetimes I even avoid being outside because of it. And of course my first biking accident was because a bee flew in my face and sent me off balance.

Creatures in the Water. Mostly in the oceans, but lakes, rivers, streams, ponds, mud puddles....... I like to look at bodies of water and go to the beach, might even venture out to about calf high, but that's it. I've had those instances where you've been in the water and something rubs against your leg.....next thing you know you're running ON TOP of the water to get back to land. If I see a program on the Discovery Channel that show all of those THINGS down there - it terrifies me! Whale watching?!? Forget it! I'd be the only person on the boat with my eyes closed.

SPIDERS.

Big ones, little ones, hairy ones, shiny ones, leggy ones, black ones, brown ones, green ones, yellow ones.....OH, the list goes on. There aren't too many things that make me scream, but going outside in the dark and walking into a web sends me right off the deep end. I CAN kill them, in the right circumstances, but I have not always been able to say that. Also, if I'm not the one that kills it, I HAVE TO SEE the carcass, or I can't convince myself that the little F**ker isn't going to stalk me in my sleep..... Oh, and if one happens to sneak up on me and is ON ME, let's just say that even when I was at my highest weight, you never saw a fat girl move that fast.

And, just because I've been thinking about it, I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight, I'll be searching my ceiling for moving spots...CRAP.

There are many, many things which creep me out but the only thing of which I am truly phobic is snakes. I cannot even look at a photo of one.

Hi!

I have also started with Panic Attacks and fears since February. I always had a fear of driving. I don't do highways. I also have bad dreams and I suffer from Panic attacks and feel like I'm going to faint. I have the feeling you might need some meds.

I don't have a surgery date yet, but I know that the night before and the same day I'll need to be medicated.

Jelbel.

Fear of dropping dead from obesity. Main reason for me to be banded. Always said that I didn't want a doctor monkeying around me unless it was an emergency. Being 46, 5'6", 300 lbs, with a blood pressure topping at 230 over 110, the emergency slowly became obvious. Good luck banders! I'm gonna loose 100 lbs...

Claustrophobia---not in its worst form, but it is still there!!!

We went to some Indian Ruins not long ago, and in order to get out of the area we were we were expected to crawl through a tunnel....uh-uh, noway, not in this life time! They had to get another guide to lead me back the way we come....

There is a place in Denver (you may have seen the Southpark episode) called Casa Bonita, they have a tunnel, big enough to stand in, but it curves around and is filled with fun things for the kids.....which was all fine and dandy but those damn kids were breathing all of MY air!!!! Y'all mention walking on Water, I walked right over the tops of those munchkins getting my butt out of there!!!

Kat

Snakes

Swimming in inland lakes (but for some reason the Great Lakes are okay..) or ponds or the ocean. Rivers tend to be okay, too.

Anything that stings

Large dogs that are not chained (was attacked by a Doberman at age 6)

Being homeless

This one I'm getting better at: Riding an escalator DOWN. I have to chant "Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo" I fell down one at J.C. Penney's when I was about four and my love beads got twisted in the teeth of the steps and I was nearly strangled.

Geez, how did I make it this far in life?

I have a fear of group work. Not public speaking. I might get a little nervous with that, but once I start I'm fine (as long as I am confident about what I'm speaking about). I think that's because public speaking (at least, lecturing and giving presentations) isn't really "spontaneous," KWIM? I've had time to figure out what I'm going to talk about, think about possible questions, etc. Group work, on the other hand, freaks me out. I've had to drop classes before because they were centered around group work and group interaction. I tried to take one class and nearly burst into tears during the first meeting, just because I got so stressed out by the expected group interaction. I dropped it that night.

Did you hear about the boy who had his crock shoe get stuck and hurt his big toe on the escalator?

No crocks for my kids.

I am terrified of heights. I went to a conference in Houston and they had those elevators on the outside of the building. My room was on the 26th floor. I went up the elevator several times by studiously looking at the floor but you could see light in the crack between the elevator and the floor. I would also make people stand behind me. So I got on the elevator with one man standing behind me. He got off on the 3rd floor! I had to ride 23 floors by myself. That's when I called the hotel folks and found I could ride in an enclosed elevator that the service people used. It was a lot better, but I will not go to a conference with that organization again.

Zombies. They creep me out. If I accidentally see a zombie flick it is most certain that I will wake up screaming for at least a week. Im creeped out typing about them. *shiver*

Spider WEBS, yikes, everytime I walk through one, I can just feel a spider crawling on me for hours, and this time of year, we have those huge ones with the bright yellow stripes, I'm shivering thinking about it.

What's in the Water and what's in the dark. My grandmother use to say, if you knew what was lurking in the Water or in the darkness, you'd never go into either one!