Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on 9/24, Uhgg is it worth it?

Hello, I am fairly new, I think I have only posted one other time. I had my surgery on Mon. and am getting over the sorness. I am loosing weight everyday since I started my liquid diet on 9/14 and post op I am down 19lbs. Which is AWESOME I know, but here is my problem

Of course I am loosing weight, I AM STARVING! :faint:I cant' get that "full" feeling. When I was on the Clear liquids all I could think about was things that I could eat to make me feel full. I was totally craving my Homemade Cream of Brocolli Soup (YUMMY) so the first day I could have other liquids I made it (yesterday) well today it is still delicious to me but now I need variety. (I am so sorry I know I am totally complaing here, but I'm sure there is someone out there who understands)

My nurse said I go back on the 9th to see the surgeon then I can be on mushies, that I am excited about. But what to do until then? The liquid thing isn't feeling me up, I thought alot of this would go away after the surgery but nope, only for a day or two. I keep on having these thoughts enter my mind like, "is it really worth it, starving for so long on only liquids, I could have done this diet without having the surgery" "I should have just stuck with WW", "I am starving, can I get away with taking a bite out of my sons sandwich and not do any harm to the band":hungry:

Please someone help, I am motivated to loose weight, and I am really excited, It is just so hard to not be having second thoughts with a growling tummy.

Thanks to any advise, I'm back to my pureed Cream of Broc. Soup, did I say YUMMY?

YES it is worth it. Tomorrow I will be one month out. The 2 weeks of liquids were not bad at all. Lots of meals of chicken broth or beef broth. Mushies for the last 2 weeks so blended clam chowder ( healthy choice) was a nice addition. Keep a positive attitude, drink a whole lot more Water than required and dont forget your Protein Shakes. You can do it....Dave

My surgery is the 11th. I once read a magazine article about a woman who had weight loss surgery, how she cried and cried whenshe found she had to be on liquids the first several weeks after surgery. You are not abnormal. We all LOVE food, that is why we are chunky! This time will pass, it may suck, but it will pass. Have you tried any Protein Shakes? Like Atkins, or something like that? That may help you feel full, or at least a little satisfied.

I know that I am going to have a cow after surgery, I am trying to wrap my mind around that.

Please dont feel so defeated, you will get through this and it will make you a stronger person.

Every day gets better and pretty soon the liquids and mushy days will be just a memory. I felt the same way and I have been on solids for about 3 weeks.

Thanks for the encouragement, I really do need it, I keep on telling my self, okay after today only one more Saturday on liquids and so on. So when I get a little more down I will just read the posts.

thanks again

I COMPLETELY understand!!!!! LOL! I was starving on the liquids but through the support of my new weight loss family I made it through.YEAHHHHH! I drunk chicken broth from the 98% fat free chicken noodle soup...this counts as a liquid so you can drink as much as you like...I would eat sugar free popsicles, drink your Protein Shakes to make sure that you get in your Protein. Please do not try to cheat...it is sooo not worth it. You can get through this.

Oh wow. I know exactly what you are going through!! I was also banded on the 24th. For the first time lately I've been feeling hungry. However, when I start to eat Soup or something. I don't want it. I've noticed that when you drink a lot of Water and Protein shakes, it tends to get better. You aren't as hungry. Although trust me, like you I've never been more excited to eat mashed potatoes soon. LOL

Keep up the good work though! As much as you want food now, with the weight loss and how we will all be in the future it will be all worth the starving for two weeks =)

i promise things will get better and you are probably dealing with head hunger... Just stay strong and thins will turn up better sooner than you know it:)

I can totally sympathize. I was banded also on 9/24. The first 3 days I didn't have any appetite whatsoever. I had to force myself to drink fluids. Now, my stomach is constantly growling. I'm sick of the Protein shakes, pudding, and can't even look at a box of Jello. The only thing I'm halfway enjoying is the cream Soups. I just try to keep myself focused on the prize. It will only been a few more weeks before we can eat real food again. You don't want to do anything to ruin the lap band before it has time to work. Hang in there!!

Kat

Hello, I am fairly new, I think I have only posted one other time. I had my surgery on Mon. and am getting over the sorness. I am loosing weight everyday since I started my liquid diet on 9/14 and post op I am down 19lbs. Which is AWESOME I know, but here is my problem

Of course I am loosing weight, I AM STARVING! :faint:I cant' get that "full" feeling. When I was on the Clear Liquids all I could think about was things that I could eat to make me feel full. I was totally craving my Homemade Cream of Brocolli Soup (YUMMY) so the first day I could have other liquids I made it (yesterday) well today it is still delicious to me but now I need variety. (I am so sorry I know I am totally complaing here, but I'm sure there is someone out there who understands)

My nurse said I go back on the 9th to see the surgeon then I can be on mushies, that I am excited about. But what to do until then? The liquid thing isn't feeling me up, I thought alot of this would go away after the surgery but nope, only for a day or two. I keep on having these thoughts enter my mind like, "is it really worth it, starving for so long on only liquids, I could have done this diet without having the surgery" "I should have just stuck with WW", "I am starving, can I get away with taking a bite out of my sons sandwich and not do any harm to the band":hungry:

Please someone help, I am motivated to loose weight, and I am really excited, It is just so hard to not be having second thoughts with a growling tummy.

Thanks to any advise, I'm back to my pureed Cream of Broc. soup, did I say YUMMY?

sugar free posickles help me if i begin to feel hungry

I was also banded on 9/24 and I understand what you are going through. I am glad I had the surgery and I am looking forward to my smaller self. It is hard (don't let anybody tell you that you took the easy way out!) but worth it. I am glad to hear that you have lost 19lbs already I have lost around 20. When my family eats food that I love it is hard and I almost want to cry but then I tell myself that the chinese food will be there in a few weeks when I can eat it (even if it is just a little bit of it). Right now I am looking forward to mashed potatoes. Hang in there. Don't do anything to disturb the band. Last night I tried sleepy time peppermint tea with splenda and it was very filling. It was good to taste something sweet. Stay strong it won't last forever!

I was also banded on the 24th. Physically i'm healing fine and not very sore anymore but man o' man and i'm craving food with some substance. I'm so sick of the liquids. My appt isn't until th 5th so I have five more days. I know that in the scheme of things thats nothing. But I've spent half the day crying. I'm not hungry, so I KNOW its all in my head. I have no advice because i'm talking myself out of the kitchen every 20 mins it seems. I just wanted you to know that you weren't alone.

it is great to read these posts. i am really wanting something more filling. i was doing great and then my arm started to get swollen and i am now on keflex for an infection in my arm from the iv site. it figures.

i am trying to get in enough Water but i am finding it tough to get in enough at this point. i am drinking high Protein slimfast and that does seem to take the edge off.

i cannot wait for cottage cheese and tuna!

but i will hang in there with the rest of you because i know this is the only answer and i will be damned if i screw this up!

so...here is a toast to all of us on liquids....congrats for making it another day!:clap2:

I too was banded on the 24th, I dream of meat any kind, fish, chicken, ground beef. I have started on mashed potatoes, they help but are not as satisfying as they were the first day. Cant wait til soft foods are allowed. I just keep telling myself that since I lived on yogurt and Water for a week pre-op I can do anything!! :)

Thanks everyone for all of your input, it has been fun to read about everyone who got banded on the same day, it really makes me feel like someone understands. Thanks and keep it up everyone!