Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying NOT to fear fat??

Maintenance is tough, it's a super fine line for me.

Typically, I avoid ALL fat in food. Recently, however, I have noticed that some fat helps with maintenance/loss.

On days where I stick to Protein and small to moderate amounts of fat, I either lose a pond or two or maintain.

On days where I allow a small amount of carbs, even if healthy carbs, I can gain 1-2 lbs by the next day.

Is this unusual?

I understand that some fat is needed to absorb certain nutrients & Vitamins so maybe that is a contributing factor??

Well this is weird to me, since I lost most of my weight eating Keto, high fat, and basically no carbs.

Your body needs good fats, you have no biological need for carbs. If you are a female and you want young healthy looking skin, you need fat in your diet. There is a reason I look 10 to 12 years younger than I am. FAT.

So you basically eat just pure Protein each day? What are your macros like, on a normal day?

She talks a lot about diet here, don't be mislead by the title.

Kudos for being so strict. My NUT believes in more balance. I'm allowed 2 multigrain servings a day and 2 fruit servings a day plus 3 healthy fats (olive oil, nuts, nut butters, avocado).

Maintaining iS tough and recently I started a HFLC eating plan. I have three meals a day compared to the three and two Snacks I did have and I feel satisfied for longer. It's only been a ten days but my skin has really improved from being very dry to what I would consider normal and healthy. I haven't weighed myself as I am not trying it for weight loss rather a new way to maintain.

Kate

4 hours ago, TheRealMeIsHere! said:

On days where I allow a small amount of carbs, even if healthy carbs, I can gain 1-2 lbs by the next day.

Is this unusual?

This is quite normal. When doing a low carb diet, one's glycogen (short term carbohydrate energy stores) levels are being kept at their minimal level in the hope that the body will burn fat instead. On average, the body will keep around 2 lb of glycogen on board, which is kept in solution by about 8 lb of Water. The body wants to get those glycogen levels back where they should be if tehy are low, so any additional carbohydrate consumption beyond ones normal minimal "low carb diet" level will result in some quick short term water weight gain. The amount is limited, and doesn't happen if one is on a normally balanced human diet. I never ran into this particular issue as i kept the carbohydrates and fats in relative balance throughout the whole process, so my glycogen levels, and associated water weight, never yo-yo'd all that much (that, and I couldn't afford the side effects of the overly low-carb/keto type diets.)

The flip side of this is when marathoners carbo-load before an event by loading up on Pasta, etc. - they are trying to maximize their glycogen levels to improve their endurance.

@RickM thank you for all the info!! I will definitely be reading more about that.

@_Kate_, me to, I think. I've been doing low carb, low fat, high Protein but it seems I may need to add more fat to my diet. I'm hoping that will make maintenance less of a tightrope, lol

@OutsideMatchInside, yes primarily fat free Protein sources and low carb veggies, such as lettuce, cukes, radishes, spinach, kale, etc.....

On 3/6/2017 at 1:08 PM, Airstream88 said:

Kudos for being so strict. My NUT believes in more balance. I'm allowed 2 multigrain servings a day and 2 fruit servings a day plus 3 healthy fats (olive oil, nuts, nut butters, avocado).

I actually CRAVE meat, Protein & non-starchy veggies. Rarely, bread, Pasta, rice potatoes, sugar, etc..... so it's not so much being strict. That is why I knew I wouldn't have a problem following my NUT's/surgeon's program.

I know it seems crazy to some people but there are lots of us that have never liked carbs to begin with so not eating them is not a sacrifice. I have never liked Pasta, or rice. I only ate bread with sandwiches so that is easy to give up if I can have the meat inside. Not eating carbs for me isn't a sacrifice, it is a pleasure.

20 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

I know it seems crazy to some people but there are lots of us that have never liked carbs to begin with so not eating them is not a sacrifice. I have never liked Pasta, or rice. I only ate bread with sandwiches so that is easy to give up if I can have the meat inside. Not eating carbs for me isn't a sacrifice, it is a pleasure.

Same here! I noticed, even in childhood that carbs were not satisfying. My mom would take us to IHOP, first, I noticed that pancakes or juice on an empty stomach caused (what I know now) symptoms of low blood sugar. I was the kid with steak & eggs at IHOP, lol!!!

Then, into adulthood, I would see that if I had eggs & meat for Breakfast, I felt great & satisfied. If I had the same breakfast but added toast and/or potatoes, I was hungry very quickly.

Now, when I eat dense Protein, a little fills me up and keeps me satisfied, therefore consuming fewer calories in the long run. If I eat protein with veggies such as a salad, it is less satisfying.

I did used to enjoy a good Italian sub or ham & cheese sandwich, which I now re-create with salads, all of the flavor and none of the bread (which really adds nothing for me anymore)

I feel almost 'dirty' if I eat bread, Pasta, rice, etc.... though I will, rarely, take a bite, never a full or even half a serving

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches