Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11 Year Success - But Now Need Revision/Support...

So I was banded in 2006 at 293 lb, at the age of 24. My lowest weight was 145 about 18mo post op.

I've maintained 175-185 through seriously "getting it" - good eating habits and regular exercise.

December 2014 I learned that my band tubing was no longer connected - likely due to complications with the low profile port I had installed behind my belly button, in my opinion.

Anyway- in December 2014 time they did a scope to see if I was a candidate for repair - I am not, there is damage to my esophagus. I was having some restriction just from the device and didn't really want to "face the facts". I did nothing.

Now...I think I need to do something. I am mentally making myself eat little of nothing, despite having no REAL physical restriction. I'm not a candidate to keep the lap band. Does anyone have any similar stories? I'm terrified of gaining the weight. I already saw 190 on the scale and went on liquids for a week. I'd ideally like to be back to 150.

I have an appointment with a surgeon Friday - I have a feeling he's going to push for removal and revision to gastric sleeve.

Thanks for your thoughts, experiences, advice...

Edited by legal_zebra
spelling

First thing.... omg you are stunning.

This is the very thing that worries me all the time. I'm terrified to lose my band and gain the weight back. keep me updated on how things go

Following this topic. I have kept an empty band for a couple of years now and now have to either get it out or revised. (My band was emptied due to its interference with the vagus nerve which was provoking atrial fibrillation.) I just saw my surgeon yesterday who has given me three choices: accept my weight where it is, diet the rest of the weigh off, or mini gastric bypass. She is not pro-sleeve for my situation, as she views the sleeve as the next "lapband" in that she has more and more sleeve patients gaining back their weight and doesn't think the longterm weight maintenance is proving to be the case with restrictive methods such as lapbands and sleeves.

She has floated the idea of a mini-gastric bypass as her best recommendation for my situation.

I'm researching this but I doubt I will do it. The potential complications from the malabsorptive WLS are rather scary to me. Enough that I will probably just go back to Weight Watchers and grit my teeth to get the rest of my weight off. :(

what is a mini GB

what is a mini GB

Also called an Omega loop, it is made by attaching the small intestine to the stomach pouch without the second attachment (intestine to intestine) further down.

There are good youtube videos that show the process. It is called a mini bypass since there is one attachment instead of two.

ill go look that up

You've had great success! Kudos! I had a lap band revision 7 years after my first band. Totally wish I'd gone with a bypass at the time because I was maintaining an 80 pound loss. But, I went with a new band and gained back about 50 pounds. I gave up for a long while and hesitantly went for a consultation last year. I am now 10 weeks out from sleeve sugery and am totally loving it. This is such a different experience- I cannot recommend a sleeve enough if you decide to go with a surgery. Best of luck to you! It seems like the skills have become habit for you now. Don't underestimate yourself!