Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Travel and weight loss after Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Hi all,

Im new to this forum. Was banded about 10 years ago - had good weight loss and have maintained my weight at 70kg for 5+ years.

My issues with my band started just before christmas. I went to have a fill and virtually could not swallow a thing. Had a barium swallow and could see band has slipped so surgeon suggested band removal and changing to gastric sleeve instead.

I am booked to have my band removed on Thursday and be sleeved on May 30.

Is there anybody out there who has a similar experience to me... I'm just a bit worried as i don't really have much weight to lose - im concerned about how my body will adjust to the sleeve. I guess it already lives very happily on a restricted diet - but i know there is also a pretty dramatic weight loss phase post op. Im worried about my energy levels as we are scheduled to have a family holiday 5.5 weeks after my operation and hope I wont be suffering really low energy levels? My surgeon assured me I would be fine to travel but just looking for some reassurance.q

I would love to hear from anybody who might be able to share their exoerience with me.

Thanks in advance

Good Morning,

I was sleeved Dec 21, 2016 and went on a cruise Jan 15, 2017. I did not have any trouble. I did bring Protein Shakes with me and ate mostly softer foods. No problems as long as you watch what you are eating :)

Good Luck to you!

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm very very nervous about all of this. When my surgeon removes my band, depending on the scarring in my stomach, will then decide if Sleeve or Gastric Bypass will be best suited to me moving forward.

By the time I am set to travel, I would be 5.5 weeks post op, so think I am on normal foods at that stage. What I am most concerned about is the effect that having too much food has on your new stomach. With my band - I get a funny feeling and just know I need to find a bathroom. NOt sure of what the experience is like if you have a little too much with a sleeve or GBP? We will be sitting on a beach in Thailand, so also hoping I am allowed to have an alcoholic beverage by that stage too?

I can tell you that when I eat too much it hurts. I have never had to run to a restroom or been sick, but you do get really full fast. I have still not had any alcohol and I am now at 9 weeks post sleeve. My nutritionist said wait 6 mos to a year, I am sure you will do great :)

Im so scared the sleeve is going to be so much more difficult than my band was. I just thought I would have it forever [emoji22]

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm very very nervous about all of this. When my surgeon removes my band, depending on the scarring in my stomach, will then decide if Sleeve or Gastric Bypass will be best suited to me moving forward.
By the time I am set to travel, I would be 5.5 weeks post op, so think I am on normal foods at that stage. What I am most concerned about is the effect that having too much food has on your new stomach. With my band - I get a funny feeling and just know I need to find a bathroom. NOt sure of what the experience is like if you have a little too much with a sleeve or GBP? We will be sitting on a beach in Thailand, so also hoping I am allowed to have an alcoholic beverage by that stage too?

I would definitely go with the sleeve vs. bypass. Just my personal opinion.
I traveled after 2 weeks of my surgery approved by my surgeon. If your flight is more than two hours just be sure to get up and walk around even if it's just to the restroom. It prevents blood clotting.
1st flight after 2 weeks, 2nd flight after 4 weeks, then had a 10 hr flight 6 weeks out. 5.5 weeks out you will be on soft foods, you can have chicken and fish as your meats. Normal foods that you generally eat now comes at almost 3 months. Your NUT should give u the different phases and when and what you can eat. ALCOHOL is a definite NO, my surgeon told me never, but my NUT told me 1 year after surgery. You will know when your full, some foods for me I'm full after a few bites, others I'm not, for me if I'm eating too much I will feel like I will vomit and can't take another bite. Ultimately you don't have any adverse effects such as having to find a bathroom.
I hope this information will help you! Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I will be traveling in a couple weeks at 11 weeks post op. I'm currently a little over 8 weeks and am now cleared for a normal diet. Protein is the most important part for me. I'm not really counting calories or anything so I'm making sure to bring my protein supplements and sticking to high protein meal choices when traveling

Thanks everybody for your responses. I'm actually worried about losing too much weight. I am a size 10 in Australia ... I think that's a 6 in the US. I'm hoping that I"m not going to put on 30kgs after I have my band removed this Thursday, but I am worried about not having weight to lose and trying to get that Protein in. I won't have access to my normal foods at home while I am travelling. I do love Tom Yum Goong Soup, but not sure if that will be too spicy for my new stomach. Maybe I should just postpone my holiday? What have I done???

I had a short vacation four/five weeks after sleeve surgery. It was a lot of walking and I was fine.

Immediately after surgery I was exhausted and barely got out of bed for four days. The next four days I was feeling a little better, just needed a nap. After that first week I was back to my normal schedule. I don't work so that wasn't an issue for me. I never had any gas pains, vomiting, or other side effects from my surgery.

I did bring Protein Shakes on my vacation and ate a lot of Soup as my meals. My surgeons plan has you on a regular food diet at one month, so eating a special diet was not an issue. Also, as far as bathroom issues, Constipation seems to be the general rule for sleeve patients.

Yes, my surgeons plan has me eating normal food at one month post surgery also. Im just so used to my band... when I reach my limits I either get pain or it comes back up - but I know exactly where that sweet spot is and I eat and drink everything people who havent had WLS eat - just less of it. I guess my fear is really the unknown... relearning to live a different way. Truth is if my bad hadnt slipped, I wouldnt be electing to have it removed at all, as its been very effective in helping me to lose and keep the weight off.