Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 8-18 My Experience

well i had my surgery on monday 8-18 and today is friday 8-22 and i am back to work. this was my surgery experience... i went friday for pre-op testing they did a chest x ray, ekg, bloodwork, and i met with the anesthesiolist. it took about 2 hours. i did only Clear Liquids till sunday night. i went to bed at 9:00 pm and was up at 5:30 to get to the hospital by 6:30. wehn i got ther they put me in a recovery room until 10 i was given a shot for nausea and 2 pills. they took me down to surgery at 10 and started an IV then i went to sleep! i woke and everyone was telling me i made it and to breathe!! i was hot and sweaty but they took off my warming blanket i also felt like crying i was told its the aneshtesia. they wheeled my up to my room and i had to PEE so i got that out of the way! then i layed in the bed for about an hour eating ice chips. i had made friends with a girl who was being banded the same day so i walked to her room and we ate popsicles. then i got some more pain meds and had to go lay down! they came and got me for the barium swallow (tastes nasty) then i layed down until my doc could come visit! i left the hospital at 5:30. the drive home made me VERY nausous and when i got home i took 2 gas x's and went straight to sleep. i woke up at nine and think i had a PB. i was having pain in my chest so i leaned over the sink afraid i was going to vomit but i burped really loud and leaned over again and thought i was going to burp again but it was liquid and the shell of the gas x. it didnt hurt and wasnt like a vomit. i am still sore and eating only broth, Protein Drinks, Jello and Water. still taking the gas x. my incisions look good no drainage or bleeding. i have been sleeping on my back and a little on my side. i have been weening myself off the pain meds but i am sure i will finish the bottle i was given.

i am so grateful i have been banded and i am glad to say i havent been too hungry. this morning my tummy was growling but i drank a shake and it is satisfied!

so thats how it went!

325/318/175

i wont weigh until 9-9 so i dont know what i really weigh!

Hey Shelly, congratulations! Your experience sounds even more elaborate than mine--I have to stop complaining. :D

I'm two days out and starting full liquids, with the blessing of my doctor. I felt that same gagging/burping thing you did on my first day, but haven't since. Gas has been passing itself, thankfully, and I can tell each time more comes out that I feel just a little bit better.

I'm there with ya, girl! We can do this!!!

Welcome to bandster land shelly. don't forget to clean the incisions. Just in case...

Am I the only one who was told to be on CLEAR liquids ONLY for 2 full weeks???? It seems that everyone is having full liquids the same week of surgery. Is this just a surgeons preference?

Brandi

Banded 8/19/03

Dr. Boutt, Port Huron, MI

Thanks again to all who replied! i am getting better every day! my incisions are looking good a little puffy but not red swollen or warm! the scars will be nothing in a year! i am out of pain meds so i am more sore than i had felt of course before i wasnt *feeling* much! but i think i'll be alright without anymore.

i hope i didnt give to much info i just thought it might be helpful to some looking into being banded it is just my experience everyones are different! the worse thing is the gas and soreness but it is quickly replaced by- is that all I ate???? and i'm full??? yipeeeee I AM BANDED!!!!!

i cant believe i did something this wonderful for myself!!!

speedy recovery to all august lapbanders!!!

:D

michelle

cant wait to weigh!

325/318/170

brandi!!! so sorry i meant to say to you... i think it is a surgeons/dieticians prefference. the clear liquids didnt do much for me as far as appetite control they just passed through. now that i am healing i definatly need the full liquids!!! i use a blender and make sure its extra blended wich can add a little air so you may want to let it rest for 15 min after blending

maybe call your doc!?!? good luck!

michelle

I was very confused about what "clear liquids" meant. My surgeon explained very well it seems to me...

"Anything you can suck through a straw" :rolleyes:

I was thinking it had to be clear in that you could see through it, but what he meant was clear in that there were no pieces of anything like meat, or vegatables etc.

Happy Holiday!

353/320/<200

Banded 7-22-03