Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attack of the Killer PB

A PB is something that happens when you eat too fast, or when you try to swallow a bite that's too big. The particle gets trapped and can't pass through the band, and the sensation is horrible and hard to explain. PB is short for Productive Burp. You'll be eating, then suddenly feel like a golf ball is trapped somewhere in your throat or esophagus or chest. Hard to describe, and everyone has a different version, but my eyes start to Water, it's hard for me to talk, the pain & pressure makes me keep trying to swallow but that doesn't help press the offending particle down. I march around the house pounding my chest, but that doesn't help either. Then, either the stuck particle will suddenly pass through, which will bring you immediately relief, or you will have a famous PB, where you'll kind of upchuck wads of gross slime a couple times, then the stuck particle will come out your throat and you'll spit it up. As soon as the thing gets unstuck from either going down or back up, you'll feel normal again. It's almost like a heart-attack feeling of pain & pressure, only in the throat/neck/chest kinda area.

To avoid them, don't eat fast - ever. Chew your food till it's mush - always. Don't ever drink during a PB because it makes it worse, not better. liquid will not push the thing through.

Good luck!

last sunday, i had the worst PB of my life! I had finished work really late, and i was doing some paper work before i left. I ate a 1/2 a piece of Naan bread ( like indian pita bread)...well, it got stuck, man did it get stuck. i had eaten it at 11:30 sunday evening. I did not pass it until 6am the next morning. Worst pain of my life. So watch out for Naan bread, if could hurt you..lol..

iamcanadian25

We can be a pretty gross bunch, that's for sure. If you think this is TMI, try checking out my other post under, "Warning, Gross Pictures."

I've never heard anyone having such a long PB stuck episode. Mine usually pass within 5-10 minutes. I can eat bread, just not as much as I used to, as long as I take small bites and chew really well.

Yeah, naan can be a problem! I had a piece of wonderful garlic naan at one of our neighborhood Indian restaurants last week, and -- yikes! I should mention that it usually goes down OK when soaked in yummy sauces.

Since we're talking gross PBs, I have to mention my worst one two weeks ago: salad. I barely made it into the office bathroom when I slimed down the front of my shirt (white, of course), and didn't quite make it to the toilet . . . so this icky green stuff pooled on the floor. Someone was in the stall next to me. Either she didn't notice or she was so grossed out that she got the hell out before I saw her. Luckily I had a blazer, which I kept buttoned all afternoon!

This is a request that one of our moderators PLEASE make this thread a sticky.

Guest roej1

Paula,

Was this message meant for me? If it was,I dont know what a sticky is. Can you help me? I am very new here.

Rosemary

Im scheduled for surgery next thursday and i dont know if i want to do it...I am scared i could have complications....can someone please give me some advice...

Hi Lenay! Welcome to LBT!

You posted in the middle of another thread, so if it seems that folks are ignoring you, really they're not, they just didn't see your post in here. To get a better response, click here: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17 and then click on the "New Thread" button. That way you'll get your own thread & all the responses will be just for you!

I'm sorry you're scared. I certainly understand your feelings! Surgery is just plain scary!! Hang out on LBT a bit & read the posts... I think you'll find that a lot of other folks are in the same boat.

The best advice I can give you is ask questions up the wazoo! Ask 'em until you're blue in the face! Ask them until you feel better!!

((( Hugs!! ))) Hang in there! It's a really exciting journey once it gets started!

well how long does it usually take you to go back to work, my doctor tells me you should feel like going back in 3 to 5 days but that is hard to believe...

I AM new to this forum and have not been banded yet,i just finished all the pre-op appointments. All i have to do now is get my date hopefully sometime this month what does pb mean?

im new to this site too, but from what i read on here a pb is like a puky burp..im getting my surgery in 5 days,...good luck

well i am doing it because im scared not too...but i have heard many people do not.....im just eating sugar free Jello all day and drinking plenty of protien...not to bad.....