Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you handle people asking questions

Yes!!!! I don't have an issue telling people what I'm doing to lose weight because I'm eating less and moving WAAAAY more. I have an issue with questions like "you did t like your food?" Or "you didn't eat very much." I have anxiety about eating around new people.....and I'm attempting to date so anxiety is an issue!

Banded 2010 weight:327

Sleeved 12/28/16 weight:253

CW: 230 GW: 155

Heather in Texas

Can you tell me what CW and GW mean?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Heather in Texas

Can you tell me what CW and GW mean?

Sure!

CW is current weight

GW is goal weight

Heather in Texas

Yes!!!! I don't have an issue telling people what I'm doing to lose weight because I'm eating less and moving WAAAAY more. I have an issue with questions like "you did t like your food?" Or "you didn't eat very much." I have anxiety about eating around new people.....and I'm attempting to date so anxiety is an issue!

Heather in Texas

I haven't really thought too much about going to restaurants with friends/ co workers. What do u usually say when people ask or comments from wait staff?

Yes!!!! I don't have an issue telling people what I'm doing to lose weight because I'm eating less and moving WAAAAY more. I have an issue with questions like "you did t like your food? " Or "you didn't eat very much." I have anxiety about eating around new people.....and I'm attempting to date so anxiety is an issue!

Heather in Texas

I haven't really thought too much about going to restaurants with friends/ co workers. What do u usually say when people ask or comments from wait staff?

I have gotten good about pushing food around on my plate where it looks like I ate more than I actually did! I also use the "I'm not feeling too great" excuse, but that doesn't really work 2 meals in a row. I really need suggestions from others who have faced this!!!

Heather in Texas

I told friends and family, and no one has said a thing to me about what I am or am not eating at a meal. It's just ignored. Only the waitress brings it up when she reminds me that the side dish I turned down comes with the meal and asks me if I want a box.

As for people at the office asking what your surgery is, you have no obligation to tell them what is being operated on. I had a medical issue which needed attention, it's a private matter. If they ask again, ask if they had sex the night before. If they looked shocked, explain they have as much right to ask you personal medical questions as you have asking when the last time was they had sex.

Excellent! I'm going to give my nosey boss my doctor's note tonight & some co-workers are covering my shift for the week I'm gone. No one knows I'm doing this but I have to think of what to say if they ask. I love your suggestions!

Height 5'0"

Weight for consultation: 216 lbs.

Pre-op Weight: Unknown until January 20th.

My profile picture is not me. It's my "FitSpiration" body.

I told friends and family, and no one has said a thing to me about what I am or am not eating at a meal. It's just ignored. Only the waitress brings it up when she reminds me that the side dish I turned down comes with the meal and asks me if I want a box.

Really? Never? I have been only sleeved for 1 month and I get questions or comments all the time. I just don't know how to get around going to dinner with people. I try to suggest active dates and outings where we aren't just sitting and eating or where I have more time to eat. I didn't have that problem with the band, but I also wasn't dating or hanging with people that I didn't know. My family knows and some of them are also sleeved, so no big deal, but wait staff is always asking if I liked my meal because I didn't eat it!

Heather in Texas

I have said this before, and it may apply here too. Tell people about your surgery to Inform them, NOT to Affirm you. If and when you are comfortable, you can share with others. I have been amazed at how many people are either thinking about WLS, or know someone who is considering it. I see it as a chance to counter the negative junk out there about WLS failures and complications.

If you tell no one, it is your choice and NO ONE should condemn you for your silence. Just be comfortable with who you are and who you will become once the surgery succeeds for you!

I haven't told any family or friends. I've been on this journey for quite some time on my own so I've already been bombarded with, "you look smaller what are you doing, etc." I've already lost a significant amount of weight on my own. I've been able to dodge all the other inquiries and probing quests with the truth. Working out like crazy, high Protein and watching what I put in my mouth.

I'm hoping after my sleeve I won't have to say much. I hope there's an even more significant loss in my weight that people notice even more. But I don't know if I'll actually be forthcoming about my surgery?

You said it BigDog Bryan. I told my immediate team a week before surgery. They asked a few questions and then it was a non issue, which is what I wanted. I have run into both support and ignorance, but I was and still am very comfortable with my decision. If my experience can help someone else, then it is worth it. As far as being judged, I think we are judged no matter what we do. I know I was judged when I was 290 and I know I am still judged. It's what people do. Not worth worrying about. Be true to yourself and kind to others and enjoy the ride.