Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to ask a question with out offending

I. I did lose a ton of hair - especially in my bangs - but the hair did come back.

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

Me too. My hair use to be very thick. Now my bangs are very thin as well as along my temples. That is where I notice it, although the way I wear my hair covers any bald spots. I had my daughter check the back of my head. Yes its thinned out quite a bit, but no bald spots are visible. Thankfully. Approaching six months and hoping it slows down soon. Every Shampoo it looks like I have a cat in the shower with me. I also feel like Linus (for those who remember Snoopy comics). I walk through a room and leave a trail of long hair in my wake.

@@krissyvsg Most WLS patients experience hair loss between 3 and 6 months post-op. How much you lose and for how long is pretty unpredictable. There are *some* things you can do to help, but it's mostly out of your control. Make sure you get your Protein, Water, and Vitamins in from the start. That's what you CAN control. I have heard over VERY few cases where people's hair didn't eventually grow back. The VAST majority of people start to see regrowth immediately once the loss stops. For me I lost some hair between 3.5 and 5.5 months post-op. It was enough for me to notice, but no one else did. It started growing back immediately. I personally think the little "baby hairs" sticking up all over when it started regrowing were more noticeable than the thinning. I cut my hair shorter so it wasn't as obvious.

Thanks for sharing I am starting to shed hair 3.5 months post -op . Wig shopping now but thinking of starting prenatal Vitamins for Hair growth

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You have a very valid concern, it's one I share as well. I have never been thin (seriously, even at 4 yrs old I was fat) so my skin is SHOT, I know it's not going to bounce back and that terrifies me. I'm 42 now and my husband is only 27. I don't want to start looking like I'm his mom! I have always looked younger than I am and I do NOT want that to change. If it wasn't for the fact that I need a surgery on my knee (and possibly ankles too) due to a previous injury I would not have had the surgery. And now that I look at it afterwat my health wasn't really bad and everything *wrong* is traced to my thyroid which no surgery and weight loss is going to fix. But no ortho would do surgery on someone weighing 368 lbs so I had no choice unless I wanted to become completely sedentary, which I did not want.

So now I'm weight training (been doing it since before surgery but I'm continuing), using lotion and collagen masks, and hoping that eventually I'll be able to afford plastic surgery. I am very vain and yes, I would rather be obese than look like a floppy mess. Just being obese is NOT a death sentence. Gods how I hate people spouting off incorrect info like that. Yes being obese and eating large amounts of crap all the time, and doing nothing but sitting on your ass will negatively affect your health, but omg NOT ALL FAT PEOPLE DO THAT! Ugh, stop the stupid generalizing and realize that everyone is DIFFERENT!

So when deciding if this is for you you need to figure out a few things... are you happy how you look? Is your health going downhill? Are you active and eating healthy now? And then decide from there if you'd be happier making the change or staying as you are.

***Why yes, I AM a HAES and Body Positivity advocate.***

Edited by WitchySar

@triple threat you feel it aged you?

Yes! All the fat in my face that kept it from looking wrinkly is gone, especially around the eyes. I have great cheekbones but they make me look a little severe. My hair thinned as well but is coming back. So yes, it's aged me. I definitely look my age now. When I was fat I was often mistaken for someone younger. I mean, it's ok, I own my age; I am fine with being a thin 43 year old, but no one is mistaking me for 35 anymore!

This is why I picked my goal weight rather than allowing anyone else to pick it for me. My goal weight was 150 I am 5'6".....I'm now at 144.8, just because I want about a 5lb cushion....any lower and I think I would start looking a little sickly.

So what I'm saying is you will know when you're at the weight where you feel comfortable.....nothing says you "have" to go lower than where you feel like you look your best. :-)

Good luck to you!!

Kathy

I look about 10 years younger since I lost weight. I have always had a high young sounding voice and that helps. I never had a fat neck, I could always wear normal necklaces and chokers. My face was round, but now that I have lost my face is square. I used to contour may face to the Gods, now I use much less product.

I don't look my age at all which I find mainly annoying. People make a lot of assumptions about you based on age, I don't enjoy people assuming I am a millennial.

You pretty much control your weight loss with the sleeve. I wear a size 8/10 right now, but when I was in the 230/240 range I wore an 16/18. I was at the top of regular and bottom of plus sizes. If I wanted to stay plus sized and insanely curvy, I could have stopped there. I wanted to be as low a weight as possible so I kept going and I am still going. i want to lose another 30. I'm still curvy, the smaller I get the more exaggerated my curves get. no reason to stop. I'll end up slim thick in the end.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

My starting weight was 294. I am now 116. I NEVER thought I would be a 39 year old mom that can wear a size 0. I didn't seek that out as a goal, it just happened. My doctor gave me the goal of 135-145. I hit the top end of the goal in 9 months. It took about 3 months to lose the other 10 pounds. I started training for my first half marathon in July of last year and got down to 121 then. Even though I stayed the same weight, during that time I went from a size 6 to a size 2. I lost more weight after stopping birth control.

With all that said....how you look after is based on so many different factors. I lost 178 pounds, but have minimal excess skin. I know others that have lost 80 pounds and have LOTS of excess skin. I give credit to my workout regime in part. You cannot just do cardio, you must do weight training.

The hair loss. I experienced that starting the 3rd month through about the 9th month. It was minimal though. I have PCOS and experienced much worse before the surgery. I have been committed to getting my Protein and taking my Vitamins.

I agree with the others. Looking a certain way is still healthier than being obese or morbidly obese in my case.

Thank you so much for an encouraging answer!
Can you please guide us on how training should be trough the post op and when its ok to train harder, what type of training and when to start weight lifting

Isa B from Ecuador

It is generally a quick weight loss so a gaunt looking face is normal for someone who generally loses in their face. I, personally lose weight in my face and upper body first, so I'm focusing on taking my Omega 3s and incorporating good fats. I use good night cream and eye cream and drink lots of water! Picture 1 is my heaviest at 327 lbs, picture 2 is currently at 226 lbs and I still have almost 100 left to lose (according to my doctor[emoji23]). I'm not sure if I can lose too much more from my face, neck, or upper body so I'm hoping it all comes from my legs! I had a ton of Hair loss from PCOS when I got my band in 2010, but it has since come back nicely. I just got my band removed and sleeved 6 weeks ago, so hair loss will likely happen again. I have embraced it and decided upon a cute bob if I lose hair again!!ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1486667193.981401.jpg ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1486667284.807362.jpg

Banded 2010 weight:327
Sleeved 12/28/16 weight:253
CW: 228 GW: 155
Heather in Texas

I cant read all the comments but OP I totally understand where you are coming from. Clearly we want to be a healthy weight but some of us don't want to be saggy skin and bones regardless if it's healthier. I think 185lbs is a reasonable goal. Just remember you may have some regain 1-2 years post op so you want to try and aim 5-10 lbs under goal so you will have some wiggle room to work with in case you do.

You will discover what you are comfortable with once you settle into your body. My goal initially was 135 lbs. But now that I'm in the 160's I feel good here. I just ask myself if I were to gain 10-15 lbs how would I feel at that weight? I felt and looked good 15 lbs ago, but that would be my max weight. I don't ever want to hit my max weight so I'm thinking if I can hit 150-155 if I gain 10-15 lbs that would put me at 160-165lbs kind of close to where I am right now and my goal is to be able to maintain my weight within in the post op years to come. Don't worry about that too much right now. Just focus on being a healthier you. Everything else will fall into place. Enjoy your golden moment!

I think you have valid concerns. I lost over 100 lbs in 10 months and have the skin issues, hair loss (it's growing back) and some sagging in the neck. I feel and look SO much better! I've added weight training to my workout routine to help build muscle. I will eventually look into plastic surgery but I want to maintain a goal weight for at least a year before. I'm not finished losing but here are some pics.

ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1486867021.274600.jpg ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1486867039.636830.jpg ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1486867050.152610.jpg ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1486867059.497751.jpg

Same heights and starting weight only 2 lbs off, i just hit 156 and approaching my first goal of 145, stretch goal of 135. How has maintenance been ? care to chat via pm ?@waitingtoexhale

@hmm33502 You are just gorgeous! As are you @anewmeja!

I am only 5.5. months out and 60 pounds down from my starting weight. I'm 42 and have always looked younger, but have phases during my loss where I feel I look downright ancient. I think it is most noticeable around the creases of my nose and mouth and the two creases on my forehead. Other days, it's fine. I am interested to see what happens at the year and 2-year mark. I had ridiculously thick hair prior to surgery, in spite of PCOS, and it has thinned to what would be considered a "normal" weight, so that's fine by me. I don't have to go get it thinned every few weeks.

I'm 5'7" and my doctor has my goal weight set at 150. I don't know how I feel about that sitting at 171 currently. I don't know if my mind hasn't quite caught up and it's still shocking to me or if I've let the reaction of others get in my head. I can't imagine what i'm going to look like at 160, let alone if I make it to 150. I can wear an 8 in Levi Denizen Jeans, but those are getting baggy.

Edited by vamping
grammar