Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know of Dr De Bruyne Chris

Freckles, mmm, bigsister, wishful and gillian thanks so much for your advice and support. I am so glad that I have found this forum. I have told my mum and brother that I am getting banded but have decided not to tell my friends until after 'the deed (!)'. My husband works away alot so it is so nice to have people to speak to and even better that you have gone or are going through the same experience.

Freckles, I am sorry to hear that you have had problems. I really hope you sort it out and it's great that you have remained positive!

I am working my way through the previous pages on this thread but had a few specific questions if someone wouldn't mind helping me out!

- Have you had any problems getting an appointment for a fill when Dr Chris is in UK? Specifically London?

- Does anyone know roughly how much they are?

- Once you get the right fill do you still need to keep getting them monthly? Do you need monthly fills forever (as long as you have the band)?

- Do you need extra travel insurance for the trip/procedure? If so is there any specific companies anyone can recommend?

Sorry for all the questions!!

It seems everywhere I look at the moment people are talking about gastric surgery! On TV, in magazines! I hasn't put me off, I am more certain than ever that this will be the best move I ever make! I am not a junk food freak, I just love food and unfortunately often don't know when to stop :thumbup:!!

Thanks guys x :laugh:

Hi Sammy, concerning your questions on fills, I've found it easier if you book a month in advance. The price seems to vary, I went to London for my first fill,( as the Manchester office didn't open until October), and Dr Chris charged me £80. When I went to Manchester in Nov & Jan, I was charged £90. Also, you don't have to go every month....I was banded in Aug 2008 and I've just had my 3rd fill in Jan, taking me up to 6.5mls. I'm feeling quite restricted at the moment, but as Frederick was explaining, as you lose the weight, you also lose it on the inside, so every now & again you will need a top-up to keep the band tight!BUT as some of the other girls have been saying, you do need a lot of will-power too as the band won't do all the work for you. Hope I've been of some help Kath x.:smile:

Hi cherry so far as i know if u have a bmi over 30 dr chris would do op but not 100% sure of that if u mail dr chris he will give u all the info

thankyou flirtylass my bmi is 39 ive been referel to the hospital to see if i could get the band on the nhs but the have refered me to a dietition im a little annoy but cant get anything for nothing these day.

Hi Kath just wondering about ur band do u have a 10ml band just wondering cos i had 4fills and only at 5.75mls i begged for more as i was getting no restriction but frederik said their only allowed put so much in at a time i was so mad and even worse now that i see u have so much after 3fills he was obviously telling lies

Ah Cherryhog if ur bmi is 39 chris would defo do the op if i were u id just mail him and go from there see how u feel and see about the waiting list on nhs its impossible to get the op in ireland for free unless ur prepared to wait 5yrs or more and attend clinics and dieticians in dublin im not even sure if their still providing the op at all now but the way i looked at it i was ready to lose weight il be 26in october and want to be celebrating as a slimmer young girl so i went for dr chris i just thought no point waiting and being unhappy i must say i had the op purely for vanity reasons i just want to look good and be a normal young girl wearing nice clothes i really was so unhappy and concious of my weight but i know by the time im 26 i should be happy and alot thinner im rambling again lol

I know what u mean flirtylass, im 31 and carry most of my weight around my tummy i suffer with (PCOS) which dont help....good luck to the new skinny u this year and i hope to read lots of your posts and the weight loss:thumbup:

Hi shoes

the band the put in is empty and not filled so restriction wont be for a while...some people notice a difference straight away but this is rare. They start to fill your band monthly after your op. I had 4mls first fill which i believe is average then a ml at a time but they will double fill in belguim. dr Chris said most people notice a difference between 3rd or 4th fill (4 months plus after op??) Ive had 5 and half ml in mine and still have no restriction and can eat what i dam well like....its hard work but sure will be well worth it in time

Sparky, I think I would be a little concerned that you dont have any restriction, is this normal procedure for Dr Chris?

I have read of people having restriction after their first fill, and I did myself, not as much as after a long haul flight, but I vertainly could never eat any bread.< /p>

I would mail him and ask if this is normal chick.:biggrin:

hi

thanks for the support i joined the forum months ago but aint been on ere in ages. I lost the weight very quickly prior to xmas aint lost nothing for ages and i lost it due to eating healthy and nothing else. the band has done nothing for weight loss (so Far). and i agree its a lot of money and I am continuing to work hard but sometimes its very hard to remain positve but i will get there!!

thanx again

Hi guys,

thank you all for your replies, i am delighted to have found this forum its a great support. iam still a bit worried about making arrangments not sure who to book with the price seems so cheap you cant help wondering if it is genuine if anyone has any more tips be delighted to here

shoes x

thankyou flirtylass my bmi is 39 ive been referral to the hospital to see if i could get the band on the nhs but the have referred me to a dietitian im a little annoy but cant get anything for nothing these day.

Hi cherryhog, my bmi was 40 and when i went to see my dr she said i wasnt big enough (i wish) to have the op on the nhs.. she said she would love to refer me but there wouldnt be any point cos id get turned away. I told her about dr chris who she had heard of and she gave me her blessing as she knows iv been yoyo dieting for 20 yrs. if you had a drug or alcohol problem you would get the help straight away but cos our problem is food the nhs arnt interested yet in the long run it would save them money x :biggrin:

Edited by wishfull

Sparky, I think I would be a little concerned that you dont have any restriction, is this normal procedure for Dr Chris?

I have read of people having restriction after their first fill, and I did myself, not as much as after a long haul flight, but I vertainly could never eat any bread.< /p>

I would mail him and ask if this is normal chick.:biggrin:

Does this mean that you won't get that full feeling until after your first fill? I take it that you are limited to what you can eat in terms of texture straight away though? I was hoping to start losing weight straight away so I can actually fit into my gym clothes and not have to buy yet more!! I think when you see yourself losing weight it becomes easier as you actually see the difference and it gives you encouragement.

Thanks flirtylass, bigsister and mooster for the info on band prices and insurance.

Sorry, I missed off one question! What kind of things can you eat on the pre-op diet? I ask as my husband, little boy and are are probably going to drive over to Brussels and make a little holiday of it beforehand as we've not been away for a while! I will have to plan food etc if it is very restricted and consider whether or not we can do it. Has anyone else driven over? My husband has no problems driving on the right and Brussels is not that far from Calais but I was wondering what the journey was like after the op? Probably no worse than flying I guess and at least I can just sit in the back of the car and moan (with no bra on and no make up by the sounds of things!!) and no one will see me!!. We'd probably stay 2 nights after the op too just to make sure.

Hey sparky just to let u know frederik told me and another girl if u dont have ANY restriction after ur 3rd fill ur 4th fill would be free so if i were u id mail him and say u have no restriction i got my 4th fill free as i had no restriction and when he checked the mls in my band i had .5ml less than supposed to so he obviously didnt get it all in on 3rd fill just thought id give ya that wee tip save ur self the price of a fill as u have no restriction so get mailing fred lol

Keep it up sparky.. you have done really, really well you shouldnt get down hearted x Hi shoes, the price is a lot cheaper than it is in the uk, i booked mine through bridget but i know a lot go with the package deal with frederik, no hidden extras x

thanks for reply freckles but yes this is very normal and as i have said previously everone reacts differently to the band and some people assume its going to work instantly (like me!) When i had my band filled this week I was very happy to be with 4 other women in the waiting room with 3 0r 4 fills each with no restriction as yet. Both fredrick and dr chris have both said when i have seen them previously that this is very normal and restriction is usually met 5-7mls, although some people are lucky like yourself:). I aint worried but a little dispondent. I was also happy to hear that all the other ladies could also eat bread....slowly but possible. Although now to choice im eating healthy without the bread!! fingers crossed

thanx again

Hi sammy its a good idea that you may stay over the extra night, i wish i had. on my pre op i had slim fast in the morning and lunch then a healthy low fat meal for dinner, usaully chicken and veg.. it has to be low fat to make your liver a little smaller which makes the op easier x

thanx flirtly lass

ill keep that in mind!! ive only had 2 fills so far got 5 1/2mls in but im realllly tring to remain positve!