Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know of Dr De Bruyne Chris

Thanks TC27 and Gillian, I shall make more of an effort. Although my response is 3 days late! 9 days till my surgery!:cool:

Sorry Wishful I am so dozey, only just read your reply re Ryanair from Manchester.

Thank you for that info, I think I'm going to struggle for the dates because of Valentines day ( my fella's birthday too)

I will check the times of Ryanair flights, cos you have to see Dr Chris the day before dont you, so was thinking of travelling on 13th.....

Oh no, I was just going through my old emails with frederick.. When I realized you are meant to send 500 euros by bank transfer, 2 weeks before hand. I ddint see that and I havent heard from him. I've just emailed and him and dont expect to hear back from him before Monday (if then, he seems to be a bit slow to check his eamils). Did everyone send their deposits? Would he cancel my appointment? or has it never been made at all?!! :cool:

Oh no, I was just going through my old emails with frederick.. When I realized you are meant to send 500 euros by bank transfer, 2 weeks before hand. I ddint see that and I havent heard from him. I've just emailed and him and dont expect to hear back from him before Monday (if then, he seems to be a bit slow to check his eamils). Did everyone send their deposits? Would he cancel my appointment? or has it never been made at all?!! :cool:

Hi Sanflan. When I was having trouble sending the deposit through my bank, Frederick said I could just pay the whole amount when I arrived if it was easier. I did however manage to send the deposit in the end and although I asked him to confirm receipt, I didn't get one! I am going to email him again for confirmation that all is ok, although i'm sure it is (sometimes you have to send him a subtle reminder that you are still awaiting a reply :regular_smile: I'm sure everything will be fine, but don't hesitiate to ask him to confirm it asap. T x

Hi TC!..Ihave been pre op dieting all week now, lost nearly two pounds then put one back on again...my stomach knows its going to be punished after all these years of accepting too much so is getting worried!. it must be size of a football at the mo!..it will be size of an egg or summat next week. yes, wish you were going on the same day as us too, the rooms take 3 but i would like to be in another room to wishfull and bigsister, cos theyll tease me...have you seen em picking on me already!, i am so upset!..LOL..its a good job i have broad shoulders isnt it!...(they will hopefully be slim shoulders next year!).. no but seriously it would be nice for you to be going with someone who you know from the forum wouldnt it, I know it makes me feel better even though i was prepared to go completely alone if i had to. If there is 4 to 5 ops a day then there has got to be someone in with you, some poor person who hasnt found this forum yet, but we will all be thinking of you on your day and hoping your doing well, and looking forward to you reporting on here as soon as you can when your back!..ill be on my way in a week..cant believe it! getting nervous like you too! sure your euros will come in time..i have still gotta get some more too. Gillian x

Hi Gillian - how is the diet going? I have to start mine on Tuesday and am dreading it. I have now gained 21 pounds since I booked my op and I have never been this weight in my life (I feel like a big heffa). I dont think I am eating/drinking that much more but I do know nothing fits any more, so the pre-op diet may be a blessing:(

I do hope I share a room with people that are like the members of this forum, you are right they have missed out big time. Thank you for your support and making me laugh - Dr Chris wont know whats hit him when you three arrive. Good luck - I will be thinking of you next week. T x

Hi TC im not nervous at all but i think i might be come next fri morn.. ill probly b on the loo all morn lol. i havnt put any weight on since booking.. i tried 2 be good cos i didnt want dr chris 2 think what a fat c.. now i wish i had so i cud get done early on.. iv lost 2lb so far on preop so not 2 bad. i havnt changed any money yet and im glad i havnt cos the £ is going up against the euro, it was a bit ov a risk but im glad i did. u shud email em 2 c if ther is any room.. u neva no sum1 may ov cancelled x :cool:

Hi Wishfull - How's your diet going? Don't you worry I'm sure Dr Chris has seen his fair share of well nourished people (to put it politely!!) and I'm probably well up there with the best of them:) I would loved to have been there with you three but I'm afraid my husband works away and the earliest he could come with me was for me to have the op on 27th. Good luck and I will be thinking of you next week. T x

Hi TC, thanks for your good wishes, same goes here for you as you are not far behind us. Glad you got a good deal on your euros, my son advised me to get mine just over a week ago as he reckoned it was not going to improve for some time so I ended up getting the worst rate possible I think! Will tell him to hand his Xmas money back to make up for his bad advice! I haven't had much time to feel nervous (unlike sister gillian who spends all day looking at n posting on this forum!), I am too busy having to put extra hours in at work so that I can take enough time off to recover. Its a bit unfortunate it has come at the end of a leave year for me but wasn't going to wait until it was more convenient! Take care, bigsister x

Hi bigsister - hows your diet going? - I was originally borderline with my BMI like you, but I have no worries now after gaining 21 pounds - what an idiot I am, I now have over 6 stones to lose:( I thought the same as your son about the exchange rate going down and only ended up getting quite a good rate as I was too lazy to get my money changed before I did. I have also been working extra hours at work to build up my flexi so that I dont have to take too much annual leave after my op. I can have four days flexi a month and as I dont work a Monday I wont have to use too much leave to have a couple of weeks off. Good luck and take care, I will be thinking of you next week. T x

Thank you Gillian and BTS..for the info...I have checked Brussels airline and for us to go on 13th Feb will cost about £111/£114 each, so that may be the best option for us.

Thats flying from Manchester...I would have preferred Liverpool John Lennon as its nearer for us, but nobody does Brussels from there anymore.

I dont fancy the hike down to get the Eurostar much so thats not an option for us.

My 93year old Mum lives with us so I am going to have to put her into Respite for a couple of weeks because I wont be able to look after her, and they'll prolly charge me for that :thumbup:

So many options to weigh up isnt there:angry_smile::thumbup:

Hi Freckles, I'm flying from Newcastle direct to Brussels National Airport with BMI. It has cost me £282 for me and my husband and I have booked the package with Dr Chris for 4070 euros, which includes the op, taxis and hotel. With the poor exchange rate at the minute it has worked out quite a bit more than I originally thought it would, but hopefully it will all be worth it. I hope you can get free respite care for your mam for a couple of weeks, it would be so unfair if you have to pay, especially when you are saving the government so much already by looking after her yourself - bless you and her. Good luck with your arrangements. T x

Sorry forgot to mention my flight doesn't arrive until after 11pm and Frederick said I could have the meeting with Dr Chris on the morning of my op rather than the day before, but I have decided to have an extra day in Brussels before having my op and it costs an extra 100 euros. Hope that helps. T x

Edited by TC27

Hi Freckles, I'm flying from Newcastle direct to Brussels National Airport with BMI. It has cost me £282 for me and my husband and I have booked the package with Dr Chris for 4070 euros, which includes the op, taxis and hotel. With the poor exchange rate at the minute it has worked out quite a bit more than I originally thought it would, but hopefully it will all be worth it. I hope you can get free respite care for your mam for a couple of weeks, it would be so unfair if you have to pay, especially when you are saving the government so much already by looking after her yourself - bless you and her. Good luck with your arrangements. T x

Sorry forgot to mention my flight doesn't arrive until after 11pm and Frederick said I could have the meeting with Dr Chris on the morning of my op rather than the day before, but I have decided to have an extra day in Brussels before having my op and it costs an extra 100 euros. Hope that helps. T x

Thank you hunny for the info.

I am thinking of changing the date because of valentines day, the flights and hotel seem to be more expensive, you know how they milk everything for Valentines.

Actually I dont even know yet cos it dosnt seem like my x-rays have arrived.

Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow. Then I can make definite plans.

May I wish you a good surgery experience and an early recovery and that soon you will be home in familiar and comfortable surroundings.

This is my wish for all of you having your op.:thumbup:

Thank you hunny for the info.

I am thinking of changing the date because of valentines day, the flights and hotel seem to be more expensive, you know how they milk everything for Valentines.

Actually I dont even know yet cos it dosnt seem like my x-rays have arrived.

Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow. Then I can make definite plans.

May I wish you a good surgery experience and an early recovery and that soon you will be home in familiar and comfortable surroundings.

This is my wish for all of you having your op.:thumbup:

Aah, thanks freckles!..only 4 days to go!!! im busy trying to arrange money, kids, dogs still so i think ill be shaking like a leaf come thurs when we fly...dunno about fri..if i could, id have a stiff drink!!..think ill be bricking it!.well be home next sunday morning, so hopefully i can get on here and let you know how its gone this time next week!..depends how i feel! .hope everything falls nicely into place for your op,even if you have to change the date. dr chris will see you the morning of your op instead of the night before, thats what hes doing with us 3. so dont worry about the time of your flight so much...Gillian x

Hi Gillian - how is the diet going? I have to start mine on Tuesday and am dreading it. I have now gained 21 pounds since I booked my op and I have never been this weight in my life (I feel like a big heffa). I dont think I am eating/drinking that much more but I do know nothing fits any more, so the pre-op diet may be a blessing:(

I do hope I share a room with people that are like the members of this forum, you are right they have missed out big time. Thank you for your support and making me laugh - Dr Chris wont know whats hit him when you three arrive. Good luck - I will be thinking of you next week. T x

Hi TC...same as me, I have never been as big as this in my life, i ate for england when i made the date for my op, and put loadsa weight on on top!..i now have at least 6, maybe 7 stone to lose..my pre op diet has gone rubbish!..i have 4 more days to at least put a bit of effort into it!..dunno if its worth it now!? you are 11 days after us, so not long for you too, lets hope you get some nice friendly english people in your room, so you can give eachother some support. hope your pre op diet goes better than mine...think bigsister and wishfull are struggling too..me and bigsister had curry last night and then chocolate and then i made baileys,double cream and ice cream smoothies!..oops..slimfast for 4 days?! Gillian x

Ohh Mmm it will be all over for you, and you'll be on your way home, many good wishes sweetie.

Do you know which airport we have to fly into?:thumbup:

The closest airport is Brussels International at Zaventem flight from London Heathrow, (mine) Southampton or manchester by easy jet or flybe I booked with flybi heathrow to brussels for two pleople it cost £145(£70 each) return the taxi run from the airport to the campanile hotel is a 10 min ride. Hope this helps

Edited by mmm

Hi TC...same as me, I have never been as big as this in my life, i ate for england when i made the date for my op, and put loadsa weight on on top!..i now have at least 6, maybe 7 stone to lose..my pre op diet has gone rubbish!..i have 4 more days to at least put a bit of effort into it!..dunno if its worth it now!? you are 11 days after us, so not long for you too, lets hope you get some nice friendly english people in your room, so you can give eachother some support. hope your pre op diet goes better than mine...think bigsister and wishfull are struggling too..me and bigsister had curry last night and then chocolate and then i made baileys,double cream and ice cream smoothies!..oops..slimfast for 4 days?! Gillian x

Hey Gillian,

Sorry I've not been on here for a while. Just want to wish you all the very best for your operation. You are in very capable hands with Dr Chris and his team. I really can't sing their praises highly enough.

As for me, I'm on the mushy stage now. Eating lots of mash, tuna, custard, jelly and carrot and turnip etc. Have even started to eat doritos/tortilla chips and a bit of rice, although not everyone can manage this and a lot of people can't have this after they start getting their fills.

Whilst I can still eat quite a bit, I am definitely eating less than I could previously. I also definitely have to eat slower, because I can feel the food travelling through my insides and if I put too much in my mouth and swallow it too quickly, it hurts.

Also, I've noticed I always try to fill my mouth too quickly when I eat finger foods, so now I understand why finger foods are not recommended.

I felt quite restricted for the first few days after surgery and I think this might have been because I had pre-menstrual bloating. I thought I would have been due on around the day of my surgery, but luckily my body held out until a few days after the op.

I lost a stone, but I've put a few pounds back on. I've heard that this can happen as you can start to introduce more foods and in the run up to getting your first fill, so I'm not too concerned, although I have eaten quite a bit of chocolate which won't help!!

I've got my first fill booked for 12 Feb and I can't wait. It's in Manchester and it's costing me £90.00.

Just a quick question for everyone, how many of you use Facebook?

I have just started a group called 'Gastric Band Patients of Dr Christiaan de Bruyne' if anyone is interested in joining it. If you search for that group, it should come up and anyone can join.

It would mean that we can start loads of different discussion topics in one area, rather than having one really long discussion about everything on here.

Anyhow, hope everyone's well and will pop back on here again soon.

Miss Flump x

Hi bigsister - hows your diet going? - I was originally borderline with my BMI like you, but I have no worries now after gaining 21 pounds - what an idiot I am, I now have over 6 stones to lose:( I thought the same as your son about the exchange rate going down and only ended up getting quite a good rate as I was too lazy to get my money changed before I did. I have also been working extra hours at work to build up my flexi so that I dont have to take too much annual leave after my op. I can have four days flexi a month and as I dont work a Monday I wont have to use too much leave to have a couple of weeks off. Good luck and take care, I will be thinking of you next week. T x

Hi TC. Think you will see from my sisters reply that the pre op diet was thrown to the wind last night with a curry, choc and to follow, a baileys/ice cream/cream smoothie (low cal of course) - well, if you're gonna blow it, do it in style I suppose! Hoping the bit of effort I have put in over the last week or so will still count though, have not had any butter or cream which I would normally and been making low fat choices in some areas. I booked surgery towards the end of Nov and I weigh exactly the same as I did then. Being borderline BMI, I wanted to put a little on if anything (mad, isn't it?!) so there was no chance of being turned down but Christmas hasn't been the blow out I anticipated, I was quite restrained (apparently).

Working flexi comes in so handy for things like this doesn't it? I will only need to take one day flexi as the others will be covered with what I have left in leave.

All being well we will be back home next week, hopefully in not too much discomfort but if I am unable to post again before you travel, the very best of wishes for a smooth procedure and will be thinking of you on your date. Take care, bigsister x.