Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

day 4 post op! Please help! Hurting!

I was banded on Monday the 17th. Today is day 4 and I am so uncomfortable. I feel like I have this huge burp in my chest that wont come up no matter how hard I try. Its very painful. Tried the gas x and walked all day today and its not helping. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Michelle, did you take your pain meds? We were told if the pain does not go away after taking the pain meds then call the surgeon immediately. This did not happen to me but I just wanted to reach out and help you.

shelli:girl_hug:

I took my pain meds the first 2 days and then only took them before bed the following 2 nights. So Im not taking them anymore. I dont feel like I need them for general pain. Its just this awful bloating in my chest feeling! Ugh!

Michelle, Mine lasted a few days too. I think its still from the surgery. Is it mostly on the left side? Thats where mine was. Be sure you are getting enough liquids and the walking will help. My goal was a minimum of 64 oz of liquids, which is a lot since we are only supposed to sip them. A normal sized bottle of Water took about an hour to drink. If it doesnt get better soon, make a call to your dr just to be sure. He/she will probably tell you to take the pain meds a little longer, since this is supposed to be a time to heal. Good Luck, keep us posted....Dave

PS sleeping in a recliner did wonders for me

At 4 days out I had pain/trapped gas in my left shoulder. Helpful things were a heating pad, set on low for about 30 minutes and walking. Try to get as much gas out as possible. I was a burping machine on day 4. Day 4 was also when I switched from oxicontin to 500mg of extra strength acetaminifin three times a day. Honestly the trapped gas in my shoulder hurt more than my incisions and actual band site.

Hang in there. It does go away. I'm 13 days out and the pain in my shoulder is gone. I'm actually even going to use my treadmill today. So you'll get better.

-Leena

My doctor told me this would happen because of the gas/air used during the laporscopic procedure. Walking is the only way to work out the discomfort. It worked for me.

I am also 4 days Post-op and was having the same problem. It was in my back too. I took Gas X, walked, pain medicine, everything they said to do and I still had it. I made sure that when I was tired I rested.

I found that my biggest mistake was sipping Water too quickly and now that I am on full liquids and thin Soups, I have to make myself remember to take in in very very slowly. You will lose that tightness. Keep doing what your doctor recommends. I remember telling my husband, I just need to burp!!! My chest is still a little tight every now and then, but I know it is just gas from the surgery. The important thing is to listen to your body and contact your doctor if it gets worse.

Michelle

I had my surgury on the 18th and I am still feeling very uncomfortable. I have been just trying to burp alot and drinking my fluids slowly. I am taking 1 percicet and 1 tylenol every 4 house which seem to help. Everyone has been telling me it will get better and it has. I can now watch my small children here by myself. I find that if you keep moving around this will help loosen up the gas pain. I also have been sleeping with a hot pack on the port side as well as a few times a day.

jennifer

banded 09-18-07

dr bertha

new brunswick, NJ

I was banded on 9/19 and so far, haven't experienced the "gassy shoulder pain" so many have mentioned. One of the nurses even told me about it. She said to walk around slowly and stretch my arms out, then apply heat if I get the chest-gas. I guess I've been lucky, because my gas has taken a lower path, if you get my meaning.

Getting some decent rest has made a big difference with my pain/discomfort levels. The liquid pain killer (Lortab) gave me insomnia. Switching to Ibuprofen helped. The only place I'm having any pain now is in the port area.

I can "feel" where the band is, but I haven't had any problems with it. I'm getting down about 2 cups of Soup a day, at least 2 bottles of Water and 1 or 2 Medifast drinks. Of course, I'm awake most of the time. At three in the morning a little Water and a Medifast certainly helps me feel better. The Soups are all fiber-rich, highly blenderized chicken and beef soups made by a neighbor. She made me 10 cups, each individually portioned and frozen. My mother made me split pea and blended it up with chicken stock. This morning my husband made me extremely smooth and creamy oatmeal with benefiber and whey Protein added.

I've been walking around the house, but hope to get out and go around the block this weekend.

I haven't had to use my hotpack for about 24 hours--but man, that thing was a lifesaver.

Darr

Darr,

You're allowed to have Ibprofin? My doctor said NSAIDs are a big NO NO forever. I'm on acetaminafin. You may want to double check with your doctor.

-Leena

My doctor didn't ban me from anything on a "forever" term. I heard him mention more than once that a short-term combination of acetaminophen and ibuprofen would work well for pain. Don't think I dreamed it! But I'll check, just the same.

Darr

PS Leena: you lost 23 lbs in 8 days? Wow!

I was banded on 9/20 and the only pain I'm having now is the extreme gassiness. Like you, I wish I could let out a huge burp. I think this is normal...I'm just waiting for it to go away...hopefully soon.

Yup Darr,

23 in 8 days. I am scheduled to get on the scale at noon today, since I went in for surgery at noon 2 weeks ago. I'm thinking it's going to be less, since I started the purees on Thursday. 20 in a week was really nice. I'm hoping for atleast 10 this week. Now I have to kick my butt over to the treadmill and get in a workout today.

-Leena

Hi, I'm 6 Days Post-op And Yes Everday Gets Better! I Used The Gas X For Gas And That Really Helps And Only Drink Pain Meds For Sleep.sometimes.:)

Darr, please tell me the ibuprofen is NOT a pill, but the children's liquid ibuprofen or at least a chewable form...

In any case, just please make sure to drink at least 8oz of Water after taking the ibuprofen so that you are sure it is no longer in your pouch and has made it down into your stomach. The concern with ibuprofen or aspirin or Aleve is how hard on your stomach they are. You need to be certain they do not sit there in the pouch. I was also advised to eat a couple crackers when I took the ibuprofen just to be sure there was something in my lower stomach when I flushed the ibuprofen down into it.