Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The need to eat until stuffed

Shelterdog64 has offered very sound advice.

I haven't posted much on this site because honest sound advice is not appreciated. People jump all over those who try to help others with this sound advice. It seems to have become accepted to bully those advisors. This has intimidated me from seeking out the assistance that I need or providing advice.

Being a medical professional is not an indicator of superior communication skills. There are many people offering questionable advice while claiming to be medical professionals.

My program is run by someone who is a hardcore straight shooter. Many people don't like her...her job isn't to be liked. Her job is to ensure people are knowledgeable and prepared for their surgery. After surgery, her job is to provide support and ensure success. She doesn't pull punches but it is because people did something drastic and need to be successful and stay safe.

You may not like the advice but it doesn't mean the person was inappropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@ShelterDog it doesn't matter there is no reason to be rude or critical period. To continue to make excuses for the people that attack others is plain wrong.

I have only been coming on here for about a month. I am a medical professional and I do a lot of patient teaching and at times have to be very direct. There is a clear difference when you make people afraid to ask a question I have seen it to many times. That I looked at many threads to see if someone else already asked what I wanted to know. Instead of asking and I have more knowledge than most.

There needs to be protocols.

I don't know what you're quibbling about...I'm a medical professional as well, and I find internet forums to be impersonal. If you'd prefer to be upset by them vs reframing the interaction in a way that's less harmful, that's your choice.

@ShelterDog it doesn't matter there is no reason to be rude or critical period. To continue to make excuses for the people that attack others is plain wrong.

I have only been coming on here for about a month. I am a medical professional and I do a lot of patient teaching and at times have to be very direct. There is a clear difference when you make people afraid to ask a question I have seen it to many times. That I looked at many threads to see if someone else already asked what I wanted to know. Instead of asking and I have more knowledge than most.

There needs to be protocols.

I don't know what you're quibbling about...I'm a medical professional as well, and I find internet forums to be impersonal. If you'd prefer to be upset by them vs reframing the interaction in a way that's less harmful, that's your choice.

@@Torriluv87 and others who could benefit from talking with a dietitian - Check with your insurance provider to see if they offer health coaching; if so, you may be able to access a dietitian that way who can help answer any questions via a phone call. I utilize the health coaching through my insurance provider which has been a great help over the years, and I've been able to talk with the same coach over a long period of time (ie 3 coaches over an 8 year period). The coaches have always been RNs, some more specialized than the others; however, if they didn't know the answer, they were always able to direct me to appropriate resources. It's worth a shot. Another option I've used before is one of the dietitians at powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury (Unjury.com). I use their Protein powder to supplement my Protein intake and whenever I have a question, I've called their 800 number. They've been a great support over the 2.5 years I've been using @Unjury.

I wish you the best!

Are you tracking all your food and calories in an app as well as tracking your steps/exercise? As we lose more we have to exercise more and keep your calories down in order to keep losing.

Something that is super important to understand, and isn't told to many I don't think:

When we go on a "starvation" diet (which is what this is, we starve our bodies of most of the calories we usually ate) our metabolism is affected for 4 to 5 YEARS. That's right, years. It slows down into conservation mode. It takes years for it to ramp back up again. That means that we have to be SUPER vigilant for those first years post surgery. Our body will save every bit of energy it can. You will gain quickly. After a few years and it's our metabolism gets back to normal we will be able to consume more calories with less worry of immediate gain but it's not the case right now. Any extra we put in our bodies will do it's best to save.

@nnagle323

I haven't finished ready all the posts/comments on this thread yet (there are soooo many!), but I saw where you were having a problem with My Fitness Pal. You may have figured it out by now, but, if not, another tracking option is SparkPeople. I've been using it for years and find it much easier (for me) to use than My Fitness Pal was. I track my food and physical activity there and use the recipe calculator to figure the nutritional profile of any recipes I use. It's worth a shot. :)

@ShelterDog64 -- You mentioned earlier using unflavored GENEPRO in your morning coffee -- do you have to keep the temperature of the coffee at a certain temp to keep the GENEPRO from clumping? My morning coffee alone fills me up, but has no Protein so I'm wanting to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, and I've seen that several folks use Genepro in their coffee. I just want to be sure before I order a tub of it. I use @@unjury Protein Powder to supplement my daily Protein intake and love it, but it will clump if the Water temp is above 140 deg. (chicken Soup flavor). I make my own latte in the afternoon and have switched from hot to iced so I can use the unflavored @@UNJURY in the latte. This is working well so far, however, sometimes I want a hot latte in the afternoon. Thanks for any suggestions!

@@MrsSugarbabe

@ShelterDog64 -- You mentioned earlier using unflavored GENEPRO in your morning coffee -- do you have to keep the temperature of the coffee at a certain temp to keep the GENEPRO from clumping? My morning coffee alone fills me up, but has no Protein so I'm wanting to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, and I've seen that several folks use Genepro in their coffee. I just want to be sure before I order a tub of it. I use @@unjury Protein Powder to supplement my daily Protein intake and love it, but it will clump if the Water temp is above 140 deg. (chicken Soup flavor). I make my own latte in the afternoon and have switched from hot to iced so I can use the unflavored @@UNJURY in the latte. This is working well so far, however, sometimes I want a hot latte in the afternoon. Thanks for any suggestions!

I mix it with the cold cream I'm going to add, it will occasionally get a few small clumps but I stir it briskly into the hot coffee (straight out of my espresso maker) and they usually disappear. For lattes, I mix it with a bit of cold Water, then add that to the latte after I mix the steamed milk and espresso. Once it's been mixed with a cool/cold liquid, it's never clumped when added to the hot liquid. Good luck, and I hear you about the coffee filling you up...I usually just have my protein coffee, then eat a bit of yogurt mid-morning since the coffee is all I need first thing.

@@ShelterDog64 -- Thank you for that helpful information! I think I'll order some GENEPRO tonight. Even at 2+ years post-op, it doesn't take much to fill me up so I want to make the most of everything I take in. Unflavored Protein powder is my newest best friend; before that it was vanilla ;)

@@MrsSugarbabe I couldn't stand the smell of flavored Protein powders within a few weeks of my surgery, so I've been using the GENEPRO since July. My labs have been great!

hi Mrs SugarBabe and ShelterDog64

I don't generally comment on competitive products but we believe that the GENEPRO marketing is potentially misleading. This is what was said on the message board used by bariatric dietitians back in the fall (things might have changed since then):

one RD said:

-----------------

"....I never heard of this product, but I am highly skeptical. When I first looked at their website I couldn't wrap my head around a 15g serving having 30g of Protein without defying the laws of physics. ..."

and this is what one of the RDs here at UNJURY® Protein posted back then:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"...Using information available on the Musclegen Research website (shopmusclegen.com/protein?product_id=172), reviewed today, September 1, 2016, my calculations reveal that the nutrition label of this product may be misleading. One container of GENEPRO is 11.8 ounces, or 334 grams. There are 30 servings per container, and the label indicates that one serving provides 30 grams of protein. Therefore, 1 container should provide 900 grams of protein. You may check my calculations to ensure they are correct using the link provided. If your calculations are equivalent to mine, do you believe it’s possible for 334 grams of powder to contain 900 grams of protein?..."

If you have more questions about this, you can call the UNJURY® Protein toll free number and ask for Jerome. I hope this is helpful.

Jerome at UNJURY® Protein

Don't snack! If you're just recently post op (within 3mos) you should try eating 1/2cup of food 3x a day (I'm stuffed after) I couldn't even imagine snacking.

If you're further along try 1 cup with 75% of it being Protein

hi Mrs SugarBabe and ShelterDog64

I don't generally comment on competitive products but we believe that the GENEPRO marketing is potentially misleading. This is what was said on the message board used by bariatric dietitians back in the fall (things might have changed since then):

one RD said:

-----------------

"....I never heard of this product, but I am highly skeptical. When I first looked at their website I couldn't wrap my head around a 15g serving having 30g of Protein without defying the laws of physics. ..."

and this is what one of the RDs here at UNJURY® Protein posted back then:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"...Using information available on the Musclegen Research website (shopmusclegen.com/protein?product_id=172), reviewed today, September 1, 2016, my calculations reveal that the nutrition label of this product may be misleading. One container of GENEPRO is 11.8 ounces, or 334 grams. There are 30 servings per container, and the label indicates that one serving provides 30 grams of protein. Therefore, 1 container should provide 900 grams of protein. You may check my calculations to ensure they are correct using the link provided. If your calculations are equivalent to mine, do you believe it’s possible for 334 grams of powder to contain 900 grams of protein?..."

If you have more questions about this, you can call the UNJURY® Protein toll free number and ask for Jerome. I hope this is helpful.

Jerome at UNJURY® Protein

Thanks for the info, Jerome at powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury...I'm well aware of the 'concerns' about Genepro. Your product unfortunately makes me vomit, so I've found something else that works. I'm losing weight and my labs have been stellar.

On 17/01/2017 at 10:34 PM, kc13 said:

Don't snack! If you're just recently post op (within 3mos) you should try eating 1/2cup of food 3x a day (I'm stuffed after) I couldn't even imagine snacking.

If you're further along try 1 cup with 75% of it being Protein

What are your 3 meals and quantities please? I am 2 months post and told to eat 3 meals a day, but I am hungry lol