Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on Friday, 21st...Anyone else?

Hello all, I am scheduled to have surgery on Friday morning at 8:30. I am doing all my household chores today and tomorrow linen changes, laundry, sweeping, mopping etc...I wasn't given a diet, but I have opted to do my own with Protein Shakes and lots of Water. Ijust want everything to go smoothly. I know this is crazy but I feel like I should write a letter to my husband and son, just in case something goes awfully wrong. Did anyone else have the same weird feeling? I should be home on Saturday and will try to post on how I feel and pregress thereafter. Good luck to all going before me.

Oh yes, I wrote a letter to my family. Didn't need it, but it made me feel better. Something about being under anesthesia and not being able to make any decsions for yourself that is very scary. Don't worry though I am sure you will be fine, but I know how you feel. Keep in mind that if the surgeons/anesthesiologists thought anything bad was going to happen they wouldn't do the case.

I'm also being banded on 9/21 and I'm very excited!! My doctor has me on all liquids since 9/14. You're a lot more ambitious than I am with all the cleaning! The hospital had me fill out all the health care documents, but I am very confident that things will do well. I've been waiting for quite a while to have this done so I'm at the point where I just want to get it over with!! Good luck. I'll post on Saturday.:confused:

EL 1: Thanks for the support. I am in good hands.

Singingofkey: I'll be looking for your post and good luck. I'm cleaning so much b/c I have a 2 year old that will eat off of anything. I'm also doing it to stay busy, I cant stand the exitement!

Woot...congrats! You're going to be just fine! I'm 3 days post-op...and feel pretty damn good! I got all my cleaning done before surgery as well...helped me relax this whole weekend!! Good luck and be sure to come back and let us know how you're doing!!

Hello - I'm scheduled for this Friday with Dr. Spivak in Houston. I was very excited, but as it approaches, I'm getting more nervous. Best of luck to all and keep us updated.

Hi: I'm also having surgery done this Friday. I'm on a liquid Thursday but have been doing liquid and limited intake. He wanted me to try and loss 5 pounds before surgery doing somewhat ok. I also aM abit nervous but the doctor that is going mine has been doing nothing but lapbands. I will also go home on Saturday so we will all have to touch base Sunday or Monday. GOOD LUCK!

Its nice to know I am not doing it alone on Friday and thanks for wishing us luck. How soon will I be released on Saturday if I have surgery Friday at 8:30am? Just ball park I know it may vary. Will I be sleepy, tired, sluggish? I want to post as soon as I can. :ranger:

I was released the same day...I suppose every hospital is different. It depends when they are finished checking up on you ;)

Good luck!

Hey Darr, Singing Off Key and Maple-

How are the new bandsters of 9/21 doing? I feel pretty spectacular myself! I posted this in another area so if you've already read it, please excuse me. I wanted to share with the 9/21'rs as well......

I was the first on the schedule at PP Hosp for Dr Spivak. I spent more time in holding than anywhere else, I think. Saw him and asked for a picture of my new band in place and he said sure. So I have a cool photo of my banded pouch. Begged the anesthesiologist for extra nausea meds as I always have nausea and vomiting with anesthesia and for the trip home (30-40 min of Houston traffic!) Next thing I know - was was coughing (and cursing) in the recovery room and off to my room. Brenda from the office came to see me w/instructions and told me I could get up and go to the bathroom. I got dressed and did a couple of laps around the unit and they sent me home. I even walked into Walgreens to drop off my Rx!

I haven't had gas pain so far. The most pain is my port site where he went through the fascia - that's a booger when trying to sit back or lie down! Walked my block a couple of times when we got home, slept quite a bit. On Post Op Day 1, I showered and took off the bandaids - my incisions are so much smaller than I thought they'd be! We went to Wal Mart and Sams. Today is POD#2 and I feel even better. My calves are sore - I guess from not walking as much. My throat is definitely sore. I'm chewing on gum occasionally because my jaws are sore from not chewing food. I think I'm gonna go take a walk this morning and today is the start of mushy food - so I'm gonna cook some egg beaters. Woo-hoo!!!

I really can't complain so far - so much better than I expected!!! But I'm still taking this next week off work. I need to learn a little about what I can eat and how all this works before I go back.

Hope you're all doing well. Please keep this thread going so we can keep in touch and see how we're losing the chub together. I guess I need to get one of those ticker thingies for my signature, but that means I'd have to get a scale.......

Hi 9/21's. I went in for surgery at around 10:30 on Friday. I slept through recovery, the hour drive home and until 1:30 am Saturday morning. I am still very sleepy and having gas pains in my chest, but not really my shoulders.

Today was the first day I felt soreness on the insie instead of just the incisions.

I have been drinking Myoplex chocolate Protein shakes 3 times a day, a Jello or pudding for a snack and some broth for another snack. I have always been a huge Water drinker, but I am having difficulty because I am kind of scared to drink too much.

I also haven't been able to go big potty, which I am sure is causing some of my discomfort. Someone recommended a stool softener and I didn't buy it, so I guess it's my own fault.

Honestly, it hasn't hit home yet that this is my life now!

I have to be on full liquids for 2 weeks and mushies for 2 weeks, then I get a fill and am on my way!

I think I am going to go take a nap!

Congratulations everyone!

All Sept 21sts, Tychica70:

I was told if back of calfs are sore this could be a sign of a "BLOOD CLOT" you may want to have this checked out. I'm surprised that alot of you were discharged the day you had sugery I was kept overnight. They had us do a Upper GI to make sure we could keep liquids down the morning of surgery. We were up walking after that it did help with gas.

I also may only to do Clear Liquids for the next 2 weeks only. Weeks 3-4 is when we can start with a soft diet.

How do you make a tickler?

Hello new-bandsters, I was wondering if you are hungry before it is time to eat. My nutrition protocol is to eat proper Protein source every 5 hours period. I may snack in between on sugar popsicles or Jello, but I find that I get hungry in between. It isn't head hunger either, its the rumbling in the tummy kind. I have been following directions, but I'd like to know that I've got some buddies out there in my situation. Therefore, we shall struggle together.