Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I begin my 10 day pre-op diet and it only lasted a couple of hours. I feel a little pathetic, then again I am living on LIQUIDS! You have got to be kidding me. I tell myself I am doing this for my health and sanity...but DAMN this liquid thing sucks. Now I am second guessing my decision to go through with this. I need guidance and a little motivation. Does anyone have suggestions to make the pre-op diet easier?

BANDSTERS UNITE..sista in trouble :help:

Thx,

Dee Dee

YOuU CAN DO THIS, you can do this! Think of yourself skinny, healthy and beyond happy!

Think of never having to wonder if those jeans will fit, if it comes big enough for you or if you embarassed yourself by eating too much. Think of all the times you cried because you are overweight, think about whatever the reason is that you want to be banded and live it, breathe it! YOU deserve more. And as all things, this too shall pass.

You can do it, we get through it. It sucks, but in the end it doesn't matter, it is well worth any price we pay!

The first three days are the hardest. I didn't believe it either but after the third day it just got easier. Sort of second nature type thing. Get some SF popsicles and SF Jello to fill in the empty holes.

You are so worth doing this for you. Your surgery will go better if you do this.

Like Boo Boo Kitty said You Can Do This!

shelli:ranger::)

Also Dee Dee something happens during this pre op liquid diet - my mind went from how am I ever going to be able do this to I CAN do this - I can't really explain it in words.

shelli

Don't look at it as 10 days....break it down into days or hours, whatever works for you, and soon as others have said, it will become easier, the body eases up on the cravings etc.

Get a good stock up of liquids, and popsicles (sugar free as said) and munch and sip all you have to to keep yourself sane!!!!

Your body and mind will get in sync in a few days, and while it will likely never be easy...soon you will almost feel challenged by it, and determined to win, especially when you suddenly see the scale going the right direction for a change.

When you just cannot stand it, fill a bottle with Water, and go for a walk, get away from where food is!!!!

And then come here, and we will commiserate with you!!!

Good Luck!!!

Kat

I've found that crunching on ice helps me. I know it's not great for my teeth but hey, whatever works. It's only temporary. Good luck!

My suggestions are these - think of your shakes as meals and drink lots of Fluid in between them. Try not to put yourself into situations where you are going to be tempted. And for me.. I made my husband cook for himself.

You can honestly do this. Look around this site and you will find a tremendous number of highly intelligent men and women who all felt the same way at one point or another. You are not alone - we have all been there.

Just take a deep breath, forgive yourself for a misstep and redouble your efforts. You can and will succeed. If I can do it anyone can!

OOOo i totally agree!!!

ive had to do the two week liquid diet thing FOUR times so far for other surgeries too besides these. the first time i was completely blown away that people could survive on liquids...but you CAN.

can i offer some tips that got me through?

1) totally agree with mdicurn about thinking of your Protein shakes as MEALS, they are Meal Replacements. drink those slowly, enjoy them. MAKE SURE YOU GET at least 60g of Protein a day. Check the back nutrition labels to see. My dr had me drinking four protein Meal Replacements a day, and as long as i did that, i was okay.

2) always be sipping. chicken broth, beef broth, sugarfree hot chocolate, for me if it was warm, it felt like food..but just keep SOMETHING going all day

3) start taking Vitamins now. and double the usual amount of Calcium. dont forget these. B12 complex under the tongue every day can help you keep some energy.

4) sleep. you wont have a lot of energy anyway, so take some time off, read alot, watch tv and sleep. if you can and feel like walking thirty min a day its great, but sleep as much as possible.

5) Make all others eat away from you. go to a different room, dont be around when its cooking. its temporary but it will save a lot of grief.

6) seriously they are so right. after your third day it goes easier. you lose the cravings.

7) GUM. sugar free GUM...pop in a piece afterone of your Protein Shakes and it gives you the sensation of chewing that surprisingly....works.

GOOD LUCK!

Ladies I wish I could give you all a real hug but this will have to do *HUGS* .

Boo Boo Kitty-girl you are in my head, I will do this for my health

Shelli-I hope you are right

Mandi-I love chewing ice...weird lol

Mdicurn-Imma try, but man those Protein shakes can be thick.wooo

lizrbit-Great GREAT ideas Imma try every one of them

Ladies I thank you all so much for your suggestions, I bough some SF Jello and Miso Soup to go along with the Protein Shakes and greens. I just hope that it works. Day 2 is a little better but my tummy is in rumble mode.

*chants* its will get easier... it will get easier...it will get easier...

A LOT of folks screw up their pre-op diets. My doctor doesn't even put people on one because he says why would you be able to follow that when you haven't been able to follow other diets? You'll just cheat. He works at moderation. Do the best you can. You're not trying to lose weight now for losing weight's sake...you are trying to get your liver healthy for the procedure, making it easier for thye doctor to move around and do his business.

Ladies I wish I could give you all a real hug but this will have to do *HUGS* .

Boo Boo Kitty-girl you are in my head, I will do this for my health

Shelli-I hope you are right

Mandi-I love chewing ice...weird lol

Mdicurn-Imma try, but man those Protein shakes can be thick.wooo

lizrbit-Great GREAT ideas Imma try every one of them

Ladies I thank you all so much for your suggestions, I bough some SF Jello and Miso Soup to go along with the Protein Shakes and greens. I just hope that it works. Day 2 is a little better but my tummy is in rumble mode.

*chants* its will get easier... it will get easier...it will get easier...

It will get easier...it will get easier...it WILL get easier! Good luck, we are all here if you need us! :D

I feel your pain, and commiserate. I have not yet started my pre-op, but dread the day. The support here is great, though, eh? :D

Aside: Boo Boo, you look SMOKIN' and at least 10-15 years younger, you sexy thang! You GO!!!!:clap2: Love the new pics.

~kat

I feel your pain, and commiserate. I have not yet started my pre-op, but dread the day. The support here is great, though, eh? :D

Aside: Boo Boo, you look SMOKIN' and at least 10-15 years younger, you sexy thang! You GO!!!!:clap2: Love the new pics.

~kat

Blushing---thanks so much... ;)

what kept me going is all of the above AND knowing that my dr. said i had to do the liquid preop for 10 days in order to shrink my liver. i didn't want to make it difficult to do and have issues because i didn't do what i was supposed to and it kept me going! day by day... each day i felt better and better too! and i lost 13.5# before surgery date. today i went back for my first postop visit and he told me again how well i did. i've lost 19# since surgery. i'm glad i stuck with it cuz it's made the transition easier after, too!!!!

YOU CAN DO THIS! It feels so good!!!! :clap2: