Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PMS Cravings - will they go away?

Hello! I am new to this site. I just weaned my second and last child and really need to lose weight. I want to have energy for my kids and be healthy and around for a long time for them (two boys, ages 3 and 1). I am contemplating my options and am strongly considering gastric sleeve. My BMI is 35, but I have chronic hypertension and had gestational diabetes during both pregnancies so my risk for Type 2 is very high. My husband had the gastric sleeve procedure done nearly 2 years ago and he looks great and feels even better. He has tons of energy and said his only regret is that he didn’t do it sooner. He said he went through a mourning period knowing that he could no longer eat whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted and give in to indulgences, but that has passed for the most part. He just gets a little bummed out when going to corporate/vendor dinners and can only eat a few bites before getting full.

I am posting this in the women’s forum because I know women and men have different viewpoints, respond to weight loss differently, and I suffer from a “PMS tapeworm” (I sometimes feel insatiable just prior to my period and eat eat eat) so I am curious to hear different experiences on how you ladies deal with hormonal cravings after WLS.

I am not completely settled on the sleeve, but leaning heavily towards it. I am still considering a ketogenic diet (I did Lindora in the past and lost nearly 40 pounds in 8 weeks, but then put the weight back on plus some) or medication to help curb hunger (my friend with Type 2 is on some medication but I can’t remember the name). I have read through the forum to see what people ultimately decide on and why, so I would love any additional insight any of you ladies have on how you finally settled on WLS and what you may have done differently if you could do it again. Thanks so much!

I did it because I was always able to lose weight but always put it back on and then some. I was tired of the yoyo and it is devastating to your metabolism. I would probably been better off never dieting.

I had the band 11 years and it worked well for 4 years and then it didn't and I would never recommend it to anyone. I revised to rny 2 months ago and I love it!!!i only wish I had done it to begin with.

I have always had pms cravings too. I have not noticed it as much now post bypass. Though I am feeling like I need more calories to keep my energy up. I'm 10 weeks post op and following a ketogenic diet during my loss phase.

Im a twelve week post sleeve and I tell you this in pure honesty - each month I craved anything sweet, you name it I had to have it.

The cravings totally stopped after surgery. I have not had one ounce of chocolate! I was addicted to chocolate! Do not miss it at all!

I have heard that some people that were sweet eaters do go the opposite. I'd much prefer savoury now but I dont go silly with that either.

You do whatever you feel is right for you. Im nearly 41 and had a baby at 40. So glad I did it. I have more energy and Im healthier than I ever have been. Having a bub at 40 made me wake up to myself - I need to be around to watch him grow. We all have our reasons but go with your instincts.

Its a journey and a lifestyle change in many ways. Its hard to explain. I dont regret it.

I wish you all the very best and acknowledge that you are seeking information. Smart girl!

Sent from my SM-G925I using the BariatricPal App

I forgot something and hope I dont get blasted on here!

Darl, I did every diet and really tried. I'll let you in on my secret- will power does not last when dieting. There is an article on this, I will try and find it. Will power is short term and thats why so many of us fail. Dont like the word fail so sorry about that. We are led to believe that will power will see a diet through and get the pounds off - its temporary and it was a dietician that told me this, then handed me the article to read. It was a light bulb moment for me.

Sent from my SM-G925I using the BariatricPal App

Thank you @@Travelher and @@happyaslarry for your input, and congrats on your progress so far!!

I have heard that the sleeve removes the part of your stomach that secretes the hormone that makes you feel hungry and crave, which is why I am drawn to that opton. I have little willpower and almost always give in to my cravings. I've lost weight on diet plans, but my cravings and lack of willpower get the best of me. Removing my crazy cravings from the equation would go a long way for my long term success. That, combined with my husband having had the sleeve done, would be great encouragement and motivation. I think it could be cool to be on this health journey together and be a good influence on our boys.

@@happyaslarry I had my first son 3 weeks before turning 39 and my second son a month before turning 41! I love being an older mom. I feel that my age has helped increase my confidence as a parent and I had so much "me" time in my adult life that I don't feel like I am missing out on much by sitting at home on a Friday or Saturday night. I have learned that being a parent means being selfless, especially in regard to time and personal space. Maybe I need to apply that thinking to my health. I indulged in any and all cravings for 42 years, maybe it's time to think that way about food (I always seem to have food on the brain). I want to be healthy for my boys (and myself), so time to stop obsessing over food or thinking I *need* pizza and burgers and cake or whatever else I am craving.

Thanks for letting me process my througts and decision process aloud. :)

Thank you @@Travelher and @@happyaslarry for your input, and congrats on your progress so far!!

I have heard that the sleeve removes the part of your stomach that secretes the hormone that makes you feel hungry and crave, which is why I am drawn to that opton. I have little willpower and almost always give in to my cravings. I've lost weight on diet plans, but my cravings and lack of willpower get the best of me. Removing my crazy cravings from the equation would go a long way for my long term success. That, combined with my husband having had the sleeve done, would be great encouragement and motivation. I think it could be cool to be on this health journey together and be a good influence on our boys.

@@happyaslarry I had my first son 3 weeks before turning 39 and my second son a month before turning 41! I love being an older mom. I feel that my age has helped increase my confidence as a parent and I had so much "me" time in my adult life that I don't feel like I am missing out on much by sitting at home on a Friday or Saturday night. I have learned that being a parent means being selfless, especially in regard to time and personal space. Maybe I need to apply that thinking to my health. I indulged in any and all cravings for 42 years, maybe it's time to think that way about food (I always seem to have food on the brain). I want to be healthy for my boys (and myself), so time to stop obsessing over food or thinking I *need* pizza and burgers and cake or whatever else I am craving.

Thanks for letting me process my througts and decision process aloud. :)

Both sleeve and rny remove that grehlin secretions...however and vets will tell you many, maybe most get it back down the road. It is why developing good habits are important during the honeymoon phase when it is gone. Our bodies are smart and figure out how to renew those connections, my advice to anyone contemplating bariatric surgery is to go on YouTube and watch every video dr. Matthew weiner has produced. Very informative and research based.

One more thing..the hormone reduces hunger...NOT cravings those are all in your head so surgery won't fix that. I still want to murder my husband when he eats popcorn in front of me. (My kryptonite). I have a very good friend who has been eating fudge and Cookies and all that stuff at this point post op...because it is in the house...(her husband bakes). What will be very helpful is that both you and your hubby will be sleeved and can support each other in better food choices.

Oh and I had my son at 41...they wrote "geriatric mom" on my hospital admission form...:(

Edited by Travelher

There is an article right on the side here from WL Magazine article called WILLPOWER GOOD FOR NOTHING. You might want to read it. Great job checking out everything. I am 3 years out and I still have no physical hunger at all. I had my RNY July 2, 2013 and went below my goal weight in 6 months by 8#'s. I now weigh 125#'s and have maintained this weight for 2 and 1/2 years. Now I know I said I have no physical hunger but...I deal with mind hunger all the time!! Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Edited by shedo82773

I know I'm just reading this months later but I was sleeved October 2015. Reached goal weight by April 2016 and maintaining so far. I get hungry when I'm not working? Lol I'm a chef, and work around food all day long. So it's a weird situation but I'm burning calories by being on my feet all day long.

Sent from my Z988 using BariatricPal mobile app

Both sleeve and rny remove that grehlin secretions...however and vets will tell you many, maybe most get it back down the road. It is why developing good habits are important during the honeymoon phase when it is gone. Our bodies are smart and figure out how to renew those connections, my advice to anyone contemplating bariatric surgery is to go on YouTube and watch every video dr. Matthew weiner has produced. Very informative and research based.

Can't recommend Dr Weiner highly enough,I have learned so much from his videos.
I'm pre surgery but feel confident about the gastric bypass,I know the weight will come back unless I learn to eat differently. There really is no magic pill.
I've also got his book "A Pound of Cure"