Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

B.C. Bandsters..

Hello All!

Well I have been doing my research and homework and have a doctors appointment with my doctor on the 25th to get the referral (hopefully!).

What my question is - any of you British Columbia Bandsters that have gone to someone in the lower mainland (do not want to have to go to the Island, makes fills etc a bit difficult)...

1)Who did you go to and what is your opinion of that surgeon?

2)How long was your wait to get a consult appointment and then to the actual surgery?

3)Did you managed to get it covered by BC Medical? (My girl friend had gastric bypass covered by BC Med).

Thanks in advance. I'm excited, I'm scared, and I'm worried my doc wont give me the referral.

~Angela~

Hi: Contact Dr. Robin Woodhead in Delta. He does the band privately. I was banded by the TLBC in Toronto and they referred me to him for my fills. If he does your band, you will get the fill from him, if you go to another clinic he charges a consult fee and $75.00 per fill thereafter. There is also another doctor that does bands privately but can't remember his name.

We are having a Bandsters meeting at the Lions Gate Hospital on Wednesday at 6:30 to 8:00 pm in Conference Room C. Joine us and ask away with all your questions.

To tell the truth having the band was the best decision I have ever made in my life. BC Med does not pay for the band but does the gastric bypass which to me is too dangerous. If you wish to contact me by e mail privately feel free. Doddie

Thanks for the info Doddie. Unfortunately I do not think I will be able to make it in for tomorrows meeting as I have to work a bit later and I live out in Chilliwack, so it is a bit of a drive however possibly a future meeting.

I do have to stay that finding out that BC med doesn't cover it but the gastric is .. very saddening to me as I could never afford to have the band done otherwise. And gastric is not really an option as I could not afford the time off work for recovery period.

Hi Ang. Things are rapidly changing. The band is becoming more and more known and the doctors are pressing for coverage. Contact Dr. Woodhead and find out from him whether or not the band is covered. Who knows, I could be outdated in my information. Go to your family doctor and ask for a referral to Dr. Woodhead that way the medical will pay for your visit at least. Who knows, you may be a candidate for gastric by pass. Gastric by pass is still the preferred way of WLS so please don't give up, contact Dr. Woodhead or Dr. Amson. Doddie

Thanks for all the support Doddie. I am trying not to give up hope. My doc appointment is for next Tuesday and I am going to be asking for a referral the two doctors in the lower mainland that I have found is Dr.Woodhead and Dr.Leung. I phoned Dr. Leung's office just out of curiousity and his receptionist (or whoever answered the phone) informed me it was not covered by medical. But I am going to try my darndest (new word?) to see if I can get it covered.

I actually also phoned BC Medical and they told me it was not covered as well so you are not out of date at all.

May I ask why you chose to go to TLBC instead of to someone like Dr.Woodhead in the first place? And how long from your decision to get it done to the actual process was your wait?

Thanks again.

Angela

Thanks for all the support Doddie. I am trying not to give up hope. My doc appointment is for next Tuesday and I am going to be asking for a referral the two doctors in the lower mainland that I have found is Dr.Woodhead and Dr.Leung. I phoned Dr. Leung's office just out of curiousity and his receptionist (or whoever answered the phone) informed me it was not covered by medical. But I am going to try my darndest (new word?) to see if I can get it covered.

I actually also phoned BC Medical and they told me it was not covered as well so you are not out of date at all.

May I ask why you chose to go to TLBC instead of to someone like Dr.Woodhead in the first place? And how long from your decision to get it done to the actual process was your wait?

Thanks again.

Angela

Hi there, I am reading and just butting in here.

I was not a candidate for Bypass as my BMI was not high enough to qualify me for surgery.

That's when I started considering LapBand surg. I had to borrow the money over 10 years, but it is so worth it (I feel) I took a part time job to pay my loan and I HAVE NOT REGRETED MY DECISION. My health is worth every penny.. and my knees are thanking me too.

Hi there, I am reading and just butting in here.

I was not a candidate for Bypass as my BMI was not high enough to qualify me for surgery.

That's when I started considering LapBand surg. I had to borrow the money over 10 years, but it is so worth it (I feel) I took a part time job to pay my loan and I HAVE NOT REGRETED MY DECISION. My health is worth every penny.. and my knees are thanking me too.

Hi Peaches, by all means please jump in. I appreciate all the input and support I can get.

Just to clarify you got a loan for a 10 year period? If you dont mind me asking - how much was the total amount of your loan for (assuming it wasn't a personal loan from family/friends)? And what kind of monthly payments do you have/ which financial company? If you would rather PM me the info, that is if I'm not being too nosey, I would greatly appreciate what kind of numbers I would be looking at.

I'm starting to think this will be my only option but I'm currently in the middle of a car loan so there's not a whole lot of spare cash flow at the moment around here haha.

Hi Ang. I started out by going thru a referral service that sent me to Montreal. I then came across the TLBC and read the write up about Dr. Yau being the pioneer doctor that introduced the band to Canada along with Dr. Joffe. I researched them also by checking out news paper articles on the net. At the time, Dr. Woodhead was not known to me except I read he was thinking of leaving the province because he couldn't get OR time. TLBC has a fabulous support system and does not charge for any followup such as fill or replacement of the bands,etc. I MADE ONE MISTAKE by not calculating in the costs of going to TO for fills. I asked my family GP if he would do the fills and I was told I would be supported but when it turned out I had a slightly turned port, he backed off. I had to go to TO for my first fill (which they recommended anyway) As Dr. Yau trained Dr. W. he referred me to Dr. W. who has taken over my care. I really like Dr. W. I know that if you go to the TLBC website, they have a medical financial company that finances bands but I think it would be less costly if you went to your bank and made a loan. Some go to Mexico which is less money but excellent reputations, some go to Alberta for their surgery. Do your research on the web and make you choice. I just know that I would do this all over again. I at last have control of my eating and I would highly recommend TLBC. The money, heck, I would spend that on WL programs, medications, surgery recovery, whatever. My health is worth a lot more than $16000. Is a car more important than your health? Doddie

Doddie, thanks so much for the input, I will do my research etc as to what my plan will be. My next step is meeting with my own doctor next week. Unfortunately when it comes down to it is a car more important then my health? No of course not; however, the car loan I was referring to is already 3 years into a 6 year loan so it's not like I am deciding on getting one I'm already half way into it and there's no backing out of that now.

Thanks again for the info

Hello All!

2)How long was your wait to get a consult appointment and then to the actual surgery?

3)Did you managed to get it covered by BC Medical? (My girl friend had gastric bypass covered by BC Med).

Hi there,

piping in here a bit late...thought I would reply anyways

1) I am going with Dr. Leung, date is Dec 27th. I have heard and read that he is an excellent surgeon. Met him in person, he'll tell you the way it is, does not sugar-coat anything. Can seem harsh to others I think but he didn't bother me, as I did it to myself getting this fat.

2.) I had to wait less than a month to see him (had to get tests done beforehand to bring with me to the c onsult). My surgery date was four months after that, but they just bumped it up a month!! :(

3.) It's not covered, the cost is $12,812.50. I am going to try to get MSP and my extended health to cover it after the fact. I will probably win considering it took me over two years to get approved for CPP disability, and over a year fighting for my long-term disability benefits (I did not give up when they said no at least three times!!).

Hope this helps :(

Thanks! I've actually already had my consult and am lining things up with Dr.Woodhead for surgery in January (due to work schedules). However, this info could come in handy to anyone else who is wondering what I did :(

Hi there,

piping in here a bit late...thought I would reply anyways

1) I am going with Dr. Leung, date is Dec 27th. I have heard and read that he is an excellent surgeon. Met him in person, he'll tell you the way it is, does not sugar-coat anything. Can seem harsh to others I think but he didn't bother me, as I did it to myself getting this fat.

2.) I had to wait less than a month to see him (had to get tests done beforehand to bring with me to the c onsult). My surgery date was four months after that, but they just bumped it up a month!! :(

3.) It's not covered, the cost is $12,812.50. I am going to try to get MSP and my extended health to cover it after the fact. I will probably win considering it took me over two years to get approved for CPP disability, and over a year fighting for my long-term disability benefits (I did not give up when they said no at least three times!!).

Hope this helps :(

Hello All!

Well I have been doing my research and homework and have a doctors appointment with my doctor on the 25th to get the referral (hopefully!).

I went to Leung, I love the guy. He is an excellent surgeon, the OR nurse whispered that in my ear, before I went under. I have to agree. I followed his post op diet, all his advice and knock on wood, have not had one problem.

I think it was about 6 months

No, I don't know of anyone yet, who has got this covered by BC Med. I heard that Quebec was starting to think about including this in their Med, but have yet to hear of any province covering this surgery. I was happy to pay my money. I have probably spent more that 12,000 on diets in my 25 years of dieting anyway. So that is how I looked at it.

Thanks in advance. I'm excited, I'm scared, and I'm worried my doc wont give me the referral.

I too was worried that my primary doc wouldn't give me a referral. But, she did. If she didn't, I was prepared to go to another doctor. I don't even really know why this is necessary since we are self pay.

Dr Leung's secretary's name is Evelyn, she is very knowledgable and will answer almost any question you have. Good luck in your search and let us know how things go.

Cheers

Paula 98 pounds lighter in 16 months.

bcbandits : BC Bandits

Ang, above is a yahoo group I joined before my surgery. You have to be a patient or future patient of Leung to join, but it was good for me to have contact with other Leung patients.

It is a very quiet group of late, which is why I joined lapband.com, but still it was nice to compare notes, so to speak.

Thanks Paula :)

Unfortunately, I do not think I will be able to join as I will be having my surgery with Dr.Woodhead. Funny now when I look back at my original post and questions and worry about referrals. I didn't even get a referral, I just phoned up Dr.Woodheads office and said, "hey I want a band, how do I get a consult" lol, they sent me a questionnaire and Bob's your uncle I got an appointment. Who'da thunk it. Lol.

Hello All!

What my question is - any of you British Columbia Bandsters that have gone to someone in the lower mainland (do not want to have to go to the Island, makes fills etc a bit difficult)...

~Angela~

Answers:

1. Dr. Leung in Surrey BC - excellent surgeon, nurses and staff at SMH said the same thing.

2. My first consult was Sept 11/07 and I just had my surgery yesterday (Dec 28)...it was bumped up from January.

3. It is not covered by MSP, however I will fight that once I feel better. Also going to try to get it covered by extended health (Maritime Life).

Good luck:)