Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie with PCOS looking for a Mentor/Buddy

Hello everyone.

I'm a newbie on this portal. I've had PCOS for about 16 years with horrible menstrual cycles and every bad side effect. My menstrual cycle took the worst turn last year when I had bleeding for 9 months non-stop. Yes, 9 whole months. I visited and changed several gynecologist but every single one wanted me to go on birth control pills, which I was totally against, the reason being I gained close to 88 lbs in a year after I took birth control pills (for a year).

Finally, after long research, I found my current gynecologist (my guardian angel) who took care of my situation but still insisted that I loose as much weight as possible. I tried, I tried real hard but only lost 1-2 lbs a month and would gain that back again in the next month. My gynecologist suggested about undergoing a VSG about 2 years back, but I kept postponing the idea of a surgery due to financial issues. She has put me on a combination of Metformin tablets (I take 2X500mg tablets on a daily basis) and Meprate 10 tablet which I am suppose to take from the 16th day (after my periods have stopped). This combination worked like a charm and I started having regular periods (5 days flow), but after 6 months when I visited my gynecologist she said that she did not want me anymore on Meprate and I had to make a lifestyle change if I wanted to be healthy. My BP now reads 140 and I am close to becoming a diabetic.

So finally I decided to undergo the VSG. I am scheduled for the surgery on Dec 26 (or 27). I like the bariatric surgeon who will be performing the surgery, he is a reputed doctor from UK and I will be undergoing the surgery in Bangalore, India (as I reside here). I have heard a lot about people supporting each other via support groups, hence when I was searching for one I came across this portal.

I know I'm definitely going to need some support, someone to talk to who can relate to the day to day challenges of the post-op lifestyle.

If there is anyone who wants to be a mentor or buddy please let me know.

I'm currently 251 lbs and I know it's a long road to reach my goal weight, but with the assistance of the sleeve and the support of understanding people, I'm sure I can do it. :D

Height: 5 ft 4 inches

Current Weight: 251 lbs

Goal Weight: 165 lbs

I also need assistance with finding a good Protein Shake. I found many mixed review about ON whey Protein Isolate and Compound and many other brands and was not sure which would be good for me pre and post surgery. Can someone suggest me a good protein shake brand that will be good for me and will be easily available in India? I will have to get on the protein shake diet from next week onwards.

I am also new to this! I was diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago, I have tried several different things to lose weight and have barely moved. Now I'm continuously gaining . I am at the very beginning of the weight loss surgery journey. In a week I meet with a dietitian and the surgeon to discuss what's next for me!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@HealthierMe2017 All the very best :). Hope the discussion with your surgeon and dietitian goes well. Keep us posted on your progress!

My story is very similar. Starting weight at 213, 5"1' and BMI of 42. Year post op I am 127 and a BMI of 23. Feel great. I am off Metformin and Spironolactone for my PCOS. I still get some facial hair. But the weight and Acne are under control. I had novasure years ago because I couldn't deal with my cycles. So can't speak to how surgery impacts them. I am still on nuvaring to balance out my hormones. Without it I get unpredictable PMS. I would be on Prozac without it. My idea is hormones are the root cause treat the root cause. This surgery has had an amazing impact on my health, mind, confidence.

Hi All,

Wishing you and your family a very happy and prosperous New Year ahead with great success, new heights and good health :).

Hey everyone, I as well have been diagnosed with pcos for 8 years now. My husband and are wanting little ones and have done IVF and no luck due to me having pcos. So here starting my new journey and getting the sleeve procedure done hopefully sometime in April of this year.

Emma Lhotka

@Elhotka2: All the Best :).

Edited by up4challenge

Hey everyone! I had my gastric bypass on February 15th! I have had PCOS since I was 16. I was put on Metformin as well. My dad who has diabetes was also taking Metformin, so it was kind of awkward.

anyway, I would love love LOVE a friend to go through this with!

2 hours ago, lambypie said:

Hey everyone! I had my gastric bypass on February 15th! I have had PCOS since I was 16. I was put on Metformin as well. My dad who has diabetes was also taking Metformin, so it was kind of awkward.

anyway, I would love love LOVE a friend to go through this with!

@ lambypie How are you feeling after the surgery? I am two months post VSG. I've had 3 cycles until now after the surgery. 1st was 2 days after the surgery, then a break of 40 days I had my 2nd period cyle and then after 18 days my 3rd cycle.

My doctor has asked me not to take Metformin unless he advises. I am happy to have done the surgery because I have lost more that 25 pounds (pre and post surgery) which would have been impossible in a million years. I know I have not lost too many pounds like many, but I don't let that get to me.

I would be happy to add you to my friend's list :).

2 hours ago, up4challenge said:

@ lambypie How are you feeling after the surgery? I am two months post VSG. I've had 3 cycles until now after the surgery. 1st was 2 days after the surgery, then a break of 40 days I had my 2nd period cyle and then after 18 days my 3rd cycle.

My doctor has asked me not to take Metformin unless he advises. I am happy to have done the surgery because I have lost more that 25 pounds (pre and post surgery) which would have been impossible in a million years. I know I have not lost too many pounds like many, but I don't let that get to me.

I would be happy to add you to my friend's list :).

I'm two weeks out and i feel AMAZING. i went outside and did some gardening. i have so much energy, i don't feel like being lazy any more. This surgery has given me so much energy. Before, I was so sluggish and slow and never had any energy. I can even see my face slimming down. I was a bit freaked out though because two days before surgery I had ended my period. and then three days after my surgery, I started a super heavy and lasted like a week. but then i started reading on here and found out it was normal. That was last week, so no new update.

I stopped Metformin because I was only taking it to help with weight loss, and so I kind of stopped on my own. I'm so super happy for you though! :') that is so exciting to have so much progress! And I see on here that everyone loses at different paces.

I would love to be friends. it would be so awesome to go through this journey with you!