Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One month post op problems

Protein supplements are a personal preference and what works for one might not work for the other.

The best advice anyone can give you is try different ways to get that Protein in. Leverage greek yogurt, cottage cheese and fairlife milk instead of the protein shakes. You may have to eat more often in the beginning because your restriction might hold you up but that is what you have to do.

Getting protein is not easy by any means but it is required to keep you healthy. You may have to deal with some yuck factor. I ended up getting used to Premier Protein chocolate. It is the only one i can tolerate and even now, i have one almost every morning to kick start my protein goal for the day.

Best of luck to you!

i've not liked any of the premade Protein shakes -- so I've started making my own. i use Vega chocolate Protein powder (20g of protein) plus Orgain Almond Milk (10g of protein). If I add in 2tbsp of PB2, that brings the total Protein content up to 37g. Blend with some ice and the occasional shot of espresso and/or a half banana or bunch of spinach.

Edited by kristenmh

I'm going through the same thing, I can't keep anything down, I'm weak and my Protein Shakes make me even more nauseous... My surgeons office suggested I go to their ER today to get fluids through IV.

I'm going thru the same issues. I have been doing the carnation instant Breakfast but I can't drink the whole thing. Plus my Vitamins are hurting going down so I have been switching between gummy vitamins and regular Vitamins. I have tried ensure, premier and the clear Protein and nothing works. Try the carnation. It taste pretty good to me. I also do almond milk instead or regular milk.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I went and picked up GENEPRO from my local GNC. Added it to my Water content and it doesn't taste that bad. Of course I can still taste it, but not as bad as those shakes. Hopefully I can go with this for a while.

Anyone got any advice on feeling nauseous all the time? It's like whenever I smell something or move around, I get that feeling. The only thing that works is just sitting down. I tried calling my Dr but I guess the office is closed today because no answer. I can't understand why all of a sudden I'm feeling like this. I've never felt so nauseated in my life!!!

Are you just adding your GENEPRO to plain Water? That could be why ou can taste it. If you drink coffee, tea or something hot it works great!! But...add it to a little hot Water and whisk it a little before you add it to something. My hubby adds it to his chocolate Almond Milk, do the same thing with a whisk. I have done that also. But I have to shoot it like a shot of alcohol. LOL

I use GENEPRO as well, it's the only Protein powder I can't smell or taste in food or drinks. I tried about 8 others and ended up staying with GENEPRO.

If you're not on a PPI or an acid reducer, that could be the cause of your nausea.

Bottom line for all of you who are having nausea is that you HAVE to get in some Protein and fluids, some way. Unless you're actively vomiting up everything, you have to suck it up and drink a shake/eat a yogurt/whatever. Nausea, weakness and a sensitive stomach are an awful, downward spiral...you can't stop feeling weak and nauseated unless you get something into your sensitive, nauseated stomach. Don't slam 8 oz at once, but get a covered cup, stick a straw in it and sip that nasty shake or thinned out yogurt or warm broth or whatever you choose, but put something into your body.

I'm in my 6th post-op month and I still have bouts of nausea and am having issues with meat, but I'm putting food/drink into my stomach and keeping my energy up so that I can get past this phase. You can do it, too, I promise!

My dr does have me on Nexium.

That GENEPRO seems to be working for me although I still feel nauseaous. But like I said, if I sit still, I don't feel like that. Only when mobile.

You sound like my dr saying I need to suck it up. It's very easy to say that!!! Trust me, I'm trying my very best to do what I'm supposed to. One thing I haven't been doing is eating because I hate the feeling I get. Like it's just sitting there.

I did pick up some yogurt and apple sauce yesterday so I'll be trying to get down what I can.

@@r8rs4lf I know, it's hard. I've been there! But if you're taking a PPI and don't have a physical complication, you have to force yourself to drink and eat. Or you can get readmitted to the hospital. I truly feel for you, the kind of nausea you get after this surgery is awful, but not eating will not make it better. Hopefully the applesauce and/or yogurt will sit better and you'll start feeling less horrible. Good luck :)

@@r8rs4lf This was the thing for me.... I couldn't afford all the "trial and error" This stuff is too expensive..... So i did some research and wrote emails to the companies... telling them i just had WLS and would love to try there product.... I got ton's of samples in the mail.... for FREE.... i then picked the one i like the best.

Try and see what you get and let us know.

@@r8rs4lf This was the thing for me.... I couldn't afford all the "trial and error" This stuff is too expensive..... So i did some research and wrote emails to the companies... telling them i just had WLS and would love to try there product.... I got ton's of samples in the mail.... for FREE.... i then picked the one i like the best.

Hmm. I should've thought of that. Spent a small fortune on Protein

Do you happen to have a list of those companies? Thats a really good idea and my pre-op diet starts Dec 2. I know I can Google everything but if you still know what companies you had success with that would be awesome!

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

I was getting down the protien good until about a week ago...now Im weak...im tired...the Vitamins are even coming up now.. I had been drinking green smoothies to keep full but I need waaay more protien. Im a month post sleeve op. My weight plateau-ed this week...lost less than a pound. WTH yo?! Why is stuff that WAS staying down now NOT? Calling somebody about this tomorrow most deff..getting a lil nervous about this thing.

Sent from my LGMS330 using the BariatricPal App