Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone on here 3+ years post op that can discuss their thoughts and feelings of the wls?

Are you still happy with your decision?

Have you come across things that were not covered in your pre-op stage?

Why 3 years? Just interested :)

Probably because the 1st 2 years are still trying to figure everything out.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using the BariatricPal App

I'm three years and a half years out and thrilled. I've been maintaining for a little over two and a half and my restriction is very good. I still have issues with drinking enough Water and my stomach occasionally lets me know it didn't like my food choice by rejecting it violently (eeeek!).

I have never had one second of regret. It was a lot of work to lose the weight and it's even more work to maintain the loss, but for the first time in my life, I have a tool in place that allows me to be successful.

Here was my story at a year out and I still feel exactly the same way:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/308645-i-was-a-super-healthy-fat-person-until-surgery-changed-my-life-was-it-worth-it/page-17?hl=%2Bwas+%2Bsuper+%2Bhealthy#entry4318441

Because there isn't much information from people past three years. Also, by that point you are further removed from the surgery and the novelty of the weight loss. I am assuming that by that time, it is more just everyday life than something new and exciting.

Edited by rico31286

Because there isn't much information from people past three years. Also, by that point you are further removed from the surgery and the novelty of the weight loss. I am assuming that by that time, it is more just everyday life than something new and exciting.

I agree with this. I still feel I'm in the 'easy' phase of the surgery at 2 years. I notice a lot of regain happens after the third year on, and I have so much respect for people who are over 3 years and have kept the bulk of their weight off. I have a tendency to want to listen to their advice more. They've 'been there done that'!

I'm 3 years and two months post-op. I'm very happy with my decision. I still have decent restriction, although part of the reason I am able to stay at goal is because my stomach doesn't have much of a tolerance for cheese, dairy, oil, butter, sugar, or most junk food, which is helpful. I must weigh everyday because if I don't pay attention it's easy to start gaining. I've been within 5 pounds of goal now for 2 years, and I've been at or beneath goal for about 19 months. I had lost weight plenty of times before, but prior to the sleeve I would never be able to keep it off. Now, I can't eat as much, I don't really have any great urge to eat a lot, and I don't have an emotional relationship with food.

As I've moved to the third year, I notice that I have to be very careful with sugar. I can, for the most part, eat what I want to because I eat such small servings, but almost any form of good sugar (cake, Cookies, frappucinos) makes me gain weight almost instantly. I've been consistently around 129-131, except for last year around this time I woke up at 137 on November 1 and it took me until January to get back to 130. This past August I dropped to 126 for awhile, but I am now back up to floating between 130-134. The last 2-3 weeks I've been extra cautious of how I've been eating because I've been drinking more sugary energy drinks and this is quickly reflected on the scale. Generally though when I get to the top of my allowed weight (133-134ish) I start logging all of my food again and within a few days I drop right back down to 130-132. The key in the long run is to understand that you don't get to be normal. You don't get to be blissfully unaware of the scale, to eat whatever you want, and to stay think without remembering every single day that you need to watch what you are eating. There are still days where I wake up, weigh myself, get mad, and kick the scale...which then results in a hurt foot and makes me more mad. The trick is though that I do the same thing the next morning- I get up and I weigh myself and I write it down in my calendar. I can then go back and see that my weight does fluctuate and I'm always able to get it back down to normal. You have to stay vigilant or it is VERY easy to gain it all back.

Getting the sleeve was the best decision I have made as it relates to my health, dieting, and my happiness. It does not though make me healthy or make me happy- it just gives me a little bit of help and how I choose to use it is really what determines success.

I was 3 years post op in September. It's weird....I kind of feel like I'm holding my breath waiting for the "dreaded regain" and then I think "wait a minute.....I've kept it off for 3 years. This is the new normal!"

I've worked hard physically & emotionally to maintain the 125 pound loss. I used to think I was a fat girl who goat skinny & eventually will go back to the real me. Slowly, my perspective has changed & I realized the "real me" is me right now & I couldn't discover me until the weight came off.

Success doesn't come without a lot of effort & there will for sure be lots of ups and downs.....

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm six years out.

It took me a year and a half to lose 107 pounds, now I'm down 124 pounds from my surgery weight. I was a slow loser, and it was a frustrating process at times.

I had a child post op, and lost that weight, too.

I do not fear regain. I'm so small now that I work to keep weight on. I'm still not hungry. Emotionally, it was a difficult adjustment. It took a few years to realize I was normal. I've been in therapy for a long time. I had a lot of issues to work on, and depression set in when I had to acknowledge that it wasn't my weight that had been making me unhappy - my weight was a sign of my unhappiness. But I'm in a much, much better place now than I've ever been, mentally and physically. I was finally diagnosed with mental problems I'd been suffering from my whole life. I never would have gotten help, because I'd been medicating with food and alcohol. When my sleeve took the ability to do that away, I had no choice but to reach out.

As for what I wish I'd known? I'm on B12 and a PPI. No biggie, but I had no idea they'd be forever. My diabetes is gone, so I consider it a win!

I just turned 36, and I feel like I got a chance to live a life due to my surgery. I'd never, ever take it back.

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

Hi! I will be 4 years post op in January. First thing I will tell you is that this has been the best decision I have made in my life. Has it been easy? No, not one bit! At almost 4 years post op I am struggling to lose 10 lbs I have regained. Obviously the surgery was on our stomach and not on our brain. Unfortunately for me I am an emotional eater and the past year has been filled with many ups and downs that have pushed me to make horrible food choices and to drown my sorrows in cheetos and ice cream! I have not posted in years but decided I needed to log back on to get back on track. Hope my answer helps you

Edited by BeatrizS1974<3 sleeve

Anyone on here 3+ years post op that can discuss their thoughts and feelings of the wls?

Are you still happy with your decision?

Have you come across things that were not covered in your pre-op stage?

It will be four years in February. Still the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Following.

Great question, great answers.

I am in the in-between stage (close to 9 months post op), so I am also very interested in the over 3 years post op experiences.

Great read. Thanks for sharing I am 5 weeks post op so its early days for me.

Following. :)

This is just what I needed to hear. Today is my 2 year post op. I've put on 4 lbs since my 18month post op visit and I honestly hate myself for it. I ate to many calories and didn't burn enough. I am afraid my surgeon will not be happy. I've stated the same weight for about 1.5 years now.

I'd like to loose the last 20lbs, but, I feel I can't get there with my negativity lately