Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery 10/12/16 and I'm 59 years old. Most people think this is the easy way to lose weight but if they do any research will find this is very difficult. It is a tool for weight loss, nothing more. I had no problem getting 64 oz. of liquid, but getting the needed Protein and the liquid has been a challenge every day, most days I fail miserably. Most food doesn't taste good or it leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. The first couple weeks had me in a panic, thinking what have I done, I'll never be able to eat again. That passed and now after four weeks, I wonder why eat at all, I'm not hungry and I'm sick of everything I've eaten. I have always liked Water, but now it doesn't taste good, so I've used no calorie flavors to try to improve the taste. I know I'm not getting enough Protein, what are some suggestions? Help in Oklahoma

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I think a lot if the artificial sweeteners make some of us, like me for sure...sick and splenda definitely leaved a bad taste in my mouth I can't get rid of

I use natural stevia , experimented to find one I like lol and that helped if I really wanted something sweetened.

I use g6 sports vanilla Protein powder sweetened with stevia. It's super clean, dissolved easily and, to me, tastes great. I put it in skim milk and sometimes add some fage Greek yogurt for more Protein. The powder has 25grams if protein but it's a bit more expensive then most protein powders however if you have a GNC near, they give you a free membership and significant discount.

Getting out . most artificial sweeteners brought my mouth, gut and stomach back to peace and I like my food...

I drink at least one high Protein shake a day, because I can't get the Protein in either. I do eat protein Snacks, meals, but I am eating so little of it, it is so hard to get it all in. Also, there are many people that think this is the easy way out, but we know that is not true and most people do not know enough about WLS and what you need to do. There are many things you have to give up, pre op and post op. If you can't do that, it is not going to work. My mother in law wants my brother in law to do this, but he is a drinker. You can't drink heavily with this surgery and you have to give it up for a while. There are so many things you must do in order to be successful. Definitely not easy. My surgery was in August and I am still learning what kinds of food work for me and what ones do not. I am 52. Overweight since I was 11, there was a short time during my teens to about age 20 that I maintained a normal weight. After that, the weight issue got worse each year. I already see how this was definitely the right decision to make for me.

Edited by littlelamb3

Hello everyone! I'm 1 year post-op next week and just hit my goal. I'm so happy with the results and didn't have any complications but I will tell you at our ages you need your Protein. I love premiere Protein and still have at least one a day because i love the chocolate ones! If you don't get all of your protein in, you will start to loose your hair... seriously!!!! i know 2 other ladies that did not get enough protein in and didn't continue their Vitamins after 4 months and they both lost ALOT of hair. Now it's been a year for them as well and it's just starting to come back...like baby hair!!! Our hair gets thin enough as we age so please be careful. Good luck to everyone!!!

Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight! smile

My sleeve is scheduled for January 17, 2017. I was a little concerned about the hair loss. My hair is thin enough on it's own without any help! It seemed from other posts it was inevitable that you will lose hair, but seems you are saying you got your Protein in and didn't lose any. That gives me hope!

Hello everyone! I'm 1 year post-op next week and just hit my goal. I'm so happy with the results and didn't have any complications but I will tell you at our ages you need your Protein. I love premiere protein and still have at least one a day because i love the chocolate ones! If you don't get all of your protein in, you will start to loose your hair... seriously!!!! i know 2 other ladies that did not get enough protein in and didn't continue their Vitamins after 4 months and they both lost ALOT of hair. Now it's been a year for them as well and it's just starting to come back...like baby hair!!! Our hair gets thin enough as we age so please be careful. Good luck to everyone!!!

Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight! smile

I just filled out my intial paperwork for surgery in Mexico! I've requested a date for Feb 3, 2017!

I really appreciate that there is a forum for those of us over 50! I know this will be a very different journey for us than it is for 20-30 somethings...

I would love to be bariatric buddies with y'all!

My weight now is about 315, HW was 325, my goal is 150, that way I should have some room for movement of about 5 +/- at the end ;-)

Looking forward to this journey!

I just filled out my intial paperwork for surgery in Mexico! I've requested a date for Feb 3, 2017!

I really appreciate that there is a forum for those of us over 50! I know this will be a very different journey for us than it is for 20-30 somethings...

My weight now is about 315, HW was 325, my goal is 150, that way I should have some room for movement of about 5 +/- at the end ;-)

Hi. It is definitely different for those of us who are over 50. I like to hear from people my age because we sometimes lose differently than younger people and I clearly see how my skin is not going to snap back like it did when I was young. Our metabolism is definitely slower. I am still relatively new in this journey. I was sleeved in August.

I just turned 55 and was sleeved on 12/15/16.

HW 324

SW 300

CW 285

5'8"

No complications Get to start soft food Thursday. Live in Dallas had surgery here. I have hypothyroidism so I am happy so far with the weight loss. Praying it keeps coming off. Don't feel hungry anymore. I have hit Protein and Water goals daily. No change in taste and am back at work after 1 week. Glad to find the 50's group. As my other forums everyone is so young!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi, I am new to the forums. I am 57 and just decided to take the first steps toward getting this surgery. I thought I was to old..

So glad to hear your stories of success!! I saw my surgeon yesterday and I said my biguest fear was I was too old...he laughed and said, don't you know 57 is the new 27! Lol a stretch..but fun to think. I am anxious and excited at the same time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Hello Everyone,
I'm Kim, will be turning 54 in April and am having my sleeve surgery tomorrow! This app is very new to me and I'm not exactly sure how to navigate it but like the idea of finding and offering positive support to one another. I have had several health issues in the past six years that have brought me to a place where I'm heavier than I've ever been and actually more concerned with several co-morbidities rather than just wanting to look good and wear smaller sizes. With that said, I have been overweight all my life and used food to soothe myself, Celebrate, numb, etc. I'm excited to have the surgery but scared without a head transplant (lol) I will fail after the honeymoon phase. Finding a group to discuss our successes and struggles while keeping a positive focus is what I'm looking for. I'm also seeking a buddy with a similar outlook who would like accountability and encouragement and a listening ear. Anyone who could teach me a few tips and tricks about this app would be welcomed as well![emoji6]

Make it a great day, friends!
[emoji4]Kim

Day two of recovery and clear liquids.I was pretty sore yesterday but today is much better. I ended up needing a drain because I bled quite a bit. Managed to get 48 oz. of fluids in so that was good. Isopure has 40 grams of Protein in 20 oz. I've started another bottle today and have 28 oz of Water ready to go. Will also drink Bone Broth to increase the fluids and protein. Just have to remember to take small sips rather than my normal swallow otherwise it hurts too much! Keep sharing your progress so we can help each other along[emoji4]