Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Resisting cravings/chewing/looking for distractions.

Not totally sure if this is the proper subforum, but it's about food so here goes.

I'm on day 4 of my pre-op diet and it's going very well so far. I've resisted all cravings and have zero intention of giving in. It's usually not terribly difficult as I really cut out all sweets, most carbs, all alcohol and other icky things months ago.

But today, I woke up craving a chocolate caramel turtle. The ones with the pecans.

I've always clenched my jaw and carried tension there, so chewing things that are really chewy (caramel, those bit o' honey candies, etc.) always really satisfied this bizarre need to work my jaw. This lead to me binge eating foods like that to the point that I was no longer eating just a bit o' honey anymore when I'd consumed 60 pieces of said candy. I'm not interested in returning to those behaviors or stepping a toe out of line on my pre-op diet because thankfully, I'm the paranoid type.

Soooo...I'm at a loss. Eventually the craving will subside -- I know, but right now my jaw is really craving that hard chewing session. Being on primarily liquids (except for one meal a day -- again, thankfully) means I'm able to release that tension less often than I'm used to. My understanding is that chewing gum is frowned upon, though, my nutritionist never said anything specifically about it. I also have trouble not swallowing gum, so I don't know if that's a good idea anyhow.

When you are really, really craving something, how do you handle it? What do you do to distract yourself until it passes? Has anyone else had this withdrawal from chewing frustration?

My mind tends to ruminate on things, and hearing some suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you!!

Sent From BariatricPal App

The first 5 weeks were pretty tough not chewing. My mouth and teeth never felt clean. I needed up brushing my teeth about 4 times a day and still would have a bad taste in my mouth. It stopped as soon as I started chewing and eating foods again. I'm about 8 weeks out now and I don't have any food restrictions from a healing aspect. But as far as cravings I've had, which is mexican food and pickles, are my two biggest ones. I modified my craving into something healthier or able for me to eat. Added some taco seasoning to ground turkey. I have eaten pickles since I got the okay for raw veggies and It was great. haha.

Some people say gum helps, but it just made me feel sick when I tired it.

Drink lots of Water

Clean your teeth

Go clothes shopping and look at smaller sizes knowing you will be there soon!

Call a friend whos supporting you.

Come here and vent.

Read the forums.

Clean the house from top to bottom.

Treat yourself to massage/facial/nails or something similar

Write a letter to yourself saying why you NEED the surgery

Watch lots of WLS topics on youtube.

I watched lots of cookery shows but im weird like that ;)

I'm on day four also I don't have the urge to eat bc my shakes make me so sick and nauseous!!! Have you tried chipped ice?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Oooh, ice is a great idea! Thank you!

Drink lots of Water

Clean your teeth

Come here and vent.

Read the forums.

I'm definitely feeling the coming here to vent suggestion! I watch videos from a woman named Clusie on YouTube who had WLS. She's very funny and up front.

Thank you for the suggestions! I will be putting some of these to use today!

Chewing gun causes gastric juices to be released. My surgeon, and most others. recommend no gum after surgery.

sugar free popsicles are great to help with the need to chew.

Unfortunately, I can't have popsicles right now.

I can have one lean and green meal a day, which helps a little. Other than that, I'm on 3 shakes, Jello, and broth a day.

Chewing gun causes gastric juices to be released. My surgeon, and most others. recommend no gum after surgery.

I'm still pre-op right now, but I'm trying to unlearn the habit.

I agree with @@laceemouse that gum is restricted post-op but that is not the case pre-op.

I miss gulping lots of Water at a time. This is the one thing I miss the most. I used to drink over a balloon of Water a day, and now it's a challenge to get 10oz in me!

sent from my rotary phone

surgery date: 11/2/2016

Relax the tension in the jaw by opening wide and make funny faces to stretch the muscles in the lower face and neck.

Put those ready jaw muscles to use in conversation. Get someone for a walk in the park and gab away.

Get out of the house.

Drink lots of Water

Clean your teeth

Come here and vent.

Read the forums.

I'm definitely feeling the coming here to vent suggestion! I watch videos from a woman named Clusie on YouTube who had WLS. She's very funny and up front.

Thank you for the suggestions! I will be putting some of these to use today!

Love her. She makes me chuckle. I follow her on SnapChat.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Well, now here comes the rebel!! ME!! Not really because my Surgeon never said I couldn't chew my gum. I have chewed gum my whole darn life and I never have swallowed it ever. Just after reading of someone needing surgery to remove gum from their opening (pouch opening in case someone is wondering. LO<) I swallowed my gum!! Was I scared WHY YES I WAS!! Did it stop me from chewing my gum? NOT!! I have chronic dry mouth and my gum helps me deal with it. Now I don't want to be a DEBBIE DOWNER but...our dentist told us that these things keep him in business: chewing ICE, popcorn, hard candy chewy candy!! Just a side note if you crave ice and chew on it may be a health reason. I have heard that it can mean low Iron or being anemic.