Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So many biased one sided opinions on here...

Totally agree with this post! The post that bothered me was the one regarding the halo ice cream. To many unnecessary opinions were given on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Bottom line is I just keep seeing advice on here that could do more damage than good especially not knowing their history.BariatricPal App

But who's fault is that? So many posters come on here, asking questions that they should be asking their surgeons. They are the ones seeking medical advice from strangers on an Internet forum. It's fine to ask about other people's experiences and opinions but they should not be asking what THEY should be doing. Unfortunately they do.

I completely agree that post WLS is not a one size fits all formula. Everyone needs to find what works for them, under their doctor's supervision. In my responses I try to stick with describing my own experience, but make it clear that it may not work for everyone. No one on here is qualified to tell any other patient how to proceed with their diet and excercise programs so it's the people asking for advice that need to realize the responses are indeed, opinions and individual anecdotes, not medical facts.

Exactly. I come here for opinions and other's experiences. That's it.

I agree with you I read one post I was like omg back off the person. Because that had chicken at 5 days. Each their own. Granted chicken sounds amazing I'm full off of a string cheese but I agree go with your team but you know your body as well too. I drank 40 oz of Protein walked 5 miles day after surgery other barely walking

Sent from my LG-H901 using the BariatricPal App

Yes!!! I seen that particular post I actually felt sorry for the person I was like dang we come here for motivation and advice not to be scolded like little children.

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using the BariatricPal App

Eating solid food at 5 days out is dangerous. There are far too many people here saying "don't worry about it, I did it and I'm fine" when it's flat out DANGEROUS.

Imo too many people coddled themselves into needing this surgery and I am not one that will pat them on the head and tell them, it's ok that you ate a 20oz steak at 3 weeks out. It's ok you ate solid food when you just got home. If you came on here asking people's thoughts or help, I will tell you what I think about the situation. Just dont complain and call it bullying for someone to call you out on potential harm you can and are doing to yourself.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I agree with you I read one post I was like omg back off the person. Because that had chicken at 5 days. Each their own. Granted chicken sounds amazing I'm full off of a string cheese but I agree go with your team but you know your body as well too. I drank 40 oz of Protein walked 5 miles day after surgery other barely walking

Yes!!! I seen that particular post I actually felt sorry for the person I was like dang we come here for motivation and advice not to be scolded like little children.

Eating solid food at 5 days out is dangerous. There are far too many people here saying "don't worry about it, I did it and I'm fine" when it's flat out DANGEROUS.

I never once said it wasn't DANGEROUS however we are all grown and no what we are suppose to be doing she as I said scolding someone as if they are your child is ridiculous

I never once said it wasn't DANGEROUS however, we are all grown and NO exactly what we are suppose to be doing and eating in the different stages... She knew she was wrong for eating that piece of chicken which is why she wrote that post in the first place.....Like I said scolding someone as if they're your child is ridiculous.....

I rather be a scolder than let that person go quickly down the road to having a leak, complication or even death. You would be surprised how many people think they cant eat something only because they think the doctor just wanted you to lose weight quicker.

I never once said it wasn't DANGEROUS however we are all grown and no what we are suppose to be doing she as I said scolding someone as if they are your child is ridiculous

>

I never once said it wasn't DANGEROUS however, we are all grown and NO exactly what we are suppose to be doing and eating in the different stages... She knew she was wrong for eating that piece of chicken which is why she wrote that post in the first place.....Like I said scolding someone as if they're your child is ridiculous.....

Honestly, I think a lot of people do NOT know what they are supposed to be eating and not eating. I didn't see that post, but lots of people ask questions here about things they should have been taught by their medical team. How can you go home from just having most of your stomach removed and have no idea what you are supposed to be eating and avoiding??

I rather be a scolder than let that person go quickly down the road to having a leak, complication or even death. You would be surprised how many people think they cant eat something only because they think the doctor just wanted you to lose weight quicker.

YES! A leak will land you back in the hospital and could be deadly. I interviewed 2 surgeons before deciding who would do my surgery. BOTH said the only time they had ever had a patient re-admitted to the hospital with a leak was when the patient went home and ATE SOMETHING THEY HAD BEEN TOLD NOT TO EAT.

One was bar-b-q. Can you even imagine having bar-b-q floating around loose in your abdominal cavity? Disgusting!

I think that number one, the tone of a lot of posts from some newcomers is one of, "I didn't get any education about any of this prior to surgery and have no idea what I'm doing." Other than that, I see some that are clearly seeking to go off-program and are hoping to have ANYONE enable their decision. All it'll take is one or two people saying, "Go for it!" Even if there are 50 saying, "That's ridiculous."

While it's true that different programs prescribe different plans, and there are variations (I was allowed to skip the pureed stage, for instance), the guidelines are more or less the same. Eliminate sugar as much as possible, cut down on the fat, prioritize Protein and eat complex carbs, avoiding simple ones like bread, Pasta and rice. That is pretty standard, across the board. So don't come and ask whether pizza or chicken wings are okay, one week post-surgery. You already know the answer.

If you want to know if something is okay to eat, call your surgeon's office and ask the dietician who should be helping you. If you don't have one, read the litany of advice available via Google search, or trust the MAJORITY opinion that you get on a board like this one. The gist of the feedback is almost always going to be, "Take it slow, don't rush, and make much better decisions than you did pre-op."

Edited by PorkChopExpress

I wish it wasnt called a leak. A leak sounds like - ehhhh you sprung a leak, we will get you fixed up in a jiffy. They should say what it really is - you ripped your stomach open and your abdomen is now filled with food, acid and whatever you drank. You can DIE.

Sounds more scary than a leak.

Do the math and you will figure out that half of the world is below average. WLS people are no different. There is a Bell Curve on intelligence and ability to learn as well as self control. It is not surprising to me that 5-10% of comments are insane. I am actually surprised that these comments are rare enough that it makes so many people on this board stop what they are doing and run to their keyboards.

But as far as support groups go, I have been very impressed with this one. I have enjoyed my two years here. I have lurked on others and was not impressed. They were obviously not monitored. I have to give @@Alex Brecher credit for keeping it as sane as it is here.

Yup. If one lurker learns that ice cream or chicken or wine is NOT ok at five days out because I throw out my OPINION, great. Clearly some people DON'T know how dangerous their behaviors are and I refuse to coddle anyone. If that makes me a "meanie pants", so be it.

Some people live to get on the internet and be really nasty. And then it can be a mob mentality. So sad but true. I just read a post of someone bashing a "newbie" for asking the same ole questions. Like why even respond if that is going to be your attitude. But like I said some people really feel powerful and controlling and probably drove away all the flesh and blood people lol.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

*disclaimer* this post is not defending those who have pizza, fried chicken, bread, alcohol days and weeks post op! Haha!

That made me chuckle !! lol :P

@@john925,

Some good points here!

In many cases, I think the blanket statements (“eat lots of Protein,” or “skip the carbs at breakfast”) from members come from their own post-op instructions, which are either general guidelines that work for most WLS patients, or are instructions designed specifically for them.

In general, I don’t think most BariatricPal members are kidney disease patients, and may not be thinking about those and analogous populations when giving advice. I definitely agree with you to seek medical advice rather than blindly follow anonymous posters’ advice on the boards, regardless of whether you have a specific additional medical condition that could affect your WLS or diet.

I think there are also some different kinds of advice. As @@PorkChopExpress said, some members come here because they need ANY kind of information, because their surgeon gave them none. Others who have some information but may have a medical condition such as diabetes really need to depend on their doctors for safe advice.

And no, kidney disease, diabetes, or not, you probably should not be asking if you can eat ice cream a day after surgery. :)