Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein, carbs and calorie goals/limits

Hi all

I'm 15 days post op and although I have a plan from my nutritionist on what types of food to eat, she doesn't set me any goals. I've lost 13 pounds since surgery & I'm worried I'm not getting enough calories or hindering my weight loss. (I'm still super happy with 13 pounds though).

I was wondering if ya'll could share your Protein goals, your carb limit and your average calorie goal for the day? And does this remain the same once you're on full foods? (I'm currently on soft foods)

Many thanks for any advice you could offer :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

when you can eat all the Protein you can ,all the Water you can and keep carbs below 45 a day. keep moving and exercise all you can. had mine in march ,2016 have lost 100lb this way. good luck you can do it. robert

My goals were:

full liquids and purees (first 8 weeks total): max 60 carbs per day, max 650 calories per day, minimum 70 grams Protein

soft foods (months 2 - 6): max 60 carbs per day, max 800 calories per day, minimum 75 grams protein

continuing in weight loss mode past 6 months: max 75 carbs per day, max 900 - 1100 calories (depending on whether I had at least 30 minutes of vigorous exercise that day -- 900 calories if no exercise or moderate exercise, 1100 calories if 30+ minutes vigorous exercise), min 90 grams protein.

I lost over 200 lbs with this plan and hit my goal weight, so it worked well for me. IMO the idea that you need more calories to lose weight is a myth -- if it were true, anorexics would be fat and no human or other animal would have ever died of starvation.

My NUT only gave Protein and Water goals; 100 grams Protein and 64 oz (at least) Water. I asked about carbs/calories/macros, and she said they don't believe in counting that (?) and just focus on getting in protein and water first and there should be no issues staying in the appropriate range of calories for weight loss.

That didn't sit great with me, so I've come here and seen many people are in the 600-800 range of calories for the first 6-9 months, and then it seems to grow up to 1000 calories around the year mark.

I am tracking everything for myself in MFP (My Fitness Pal,) and find I lose best at 35 carbs or less. Even 45 carbs slows/stalls me -- but that is just me. I've seen people who feel ill/weak in sustained ketosis, so there's some give/take for everyone, I think.

I need structured rules to follow -- I had a lifetime of eating/drinking when and whatever I wanted -- and it got me needing surgery, so this is just what works for me (so far.)

I plugged in my info into a rough RMR calculator and was SHOCKED how few calories I'd need just to maintain my weight. When I subtracted what I'm actually eating, it came out accurate (almost to the tenth of a pound!) what my weekly weight loss was so far. Amazing. It really showed me how out of whack my eating has been all these years, that I can survive on so much fewer calories.

Unless you're REALLY active, it's a small number you need to survive and maintain, let alone lose. Just my two cents.