Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux caused by EGD?

So, I have never had reflux. I've had heartburn twice in my entire life. However, I have had what I guess is reflux almost constantly since my EGD on Friday. The back of my throat is burning, and it's causing a cough. It's worse when I lie down.

Has anyone else experienced reflux that seems to be caused by your egd? I had no idea this could happen.

For those who have reflux or Gerd, I am sooo very sorry for you. This is miserable.

Also, what is the best oct med for it???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

If it is acid reflux or GERD, one of the best over the counter medicine for this condition is Prilosec. But it seems very strange that you experienced these conditions because of a test. When I looked up EGD - esophagogastroduodenoscopy on the internet, I found this link https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003888.htm which describes the Test, Why the test is performed, Abnormal Results and Risk.

According to this article, one of the risk of performing this test is Spasm of the larynx (laryngospasm). Laryngospasm may be associated with different triggers, such as asthma, allergies, exercise, irritants (smoke, dust, fumes), stress, anxiety or commonly gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD. GERD is a condition that occurs when the ring-like muscle that normally closes to keep the stomach's contents from backing up doesn't work right. With reflux, harsh acids from the stomach rise up into the esophagus and cause irritation.

So Yes this test can apparently cause laryngospasm which has a relationship to GERD. So contact your doctor and let him/her know that is what you are experiencing.

Thank you. I tried to sew what I could find about it, but I didn't find this. I go for my barium swallow in the morning and I will call his office or stop by right after. (The swallow is just behind his office.)

Thank you again.

*see what I could find

Yes. It took 2 to 3 weeks for it to go away. I just got some otc alka seltzer chewables and took them before I went to bed or when needed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Yes. It took 2 to 3 weeks for it to go away. I just got some otc alka seltzer chewables and took them before I went to bed or when needed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Gah! I hope this lessens if it has to take that long to go away. I am very hoarse right now, and I'd say by tomorrow afternoon I won't have a voice. That's not very good for a teacher. Lol

Also, this tells me how much more of a fighter my daughter is. She suffered from severe GERD (actually diagnosed during a 3 day hospitalization due to problems from it) when she was an infant and younger toddler. She seems ok now and is off her meds for it. I knew it was bad because of all the problems it caused her, but it hits home more now that I'm feeling the pain. Hers even caused her heart to stop on occassion, so I can't even fathom that degree of pain. Bless her!

I hear ya. I never had it (but one night when my lap band was waaay to tight but I got it fixed the next morning asap), and when I got it after my EGD, it really surprised me. I called after a week and the surgeon said that it's cause my throat kept fighting the endoscope (although I was asleep), go figure lol. At the time, I thought it was going to be forever :( but it did go away, I was so glad.

Sorry to hear your daughter had severe GERD, good to hear she is off the meds now. You're right that unless we go through something ourselves, we just don't know how bad things are until we experience it. It was horrible...

I have had GERD for 20 years but it was totally under control before EGD! I had to double my nexium for 2 weeks. AlkaSelzer heartburn chews are awesome and delicious! Also addicting!

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using the BariatricPal App

I have had GERD for 20 years but it was totally under control before EGD! I had to double my nexium for 2 weeks. AlkaSelzer heartburn chews are awesome and delicious! Also addicting!

I will definitely be getting some of those in the morning. Thanks...

I tried one other (Tums Chewy Delights Very Cherry) and I didn't like them at all bleeeeh, so I bought the AlkaSelzer heartburn chews & I love them, and they work. They are my goto OTC for any time I have a sour tummy.

I had one of the most severe cases of gerd that my endo had ever seen prior to RNY. I literally coughed every day all day long. It was extremely disruptive and embarrassing because many times i could not even catch my breath it got so bad.

They changed me from meds i had been on to what they called the gold standard in gerd medications. I was on a double dose of Nexium. It did absolutely nothing for me. For my I ended up drinking alot of mylanta, chewing on tums, drinking Alka selzer and walking the floors.

In the end the only thing that solved it for me was RNY. I have never had a single episode of even basic heartburn since my surgery.

By the way....they did determine that this severe gerd was brought on by my bi-pap machine. They had increased my pressure slightly and that weakened the sphincter in my esophagus. We had to keep reducing the pressures and although it helped slightly the damage was done.

But RNY resolved it for me thank goodness.

I would definately call your doctor immediately tomorrow given you never had it before this test.

I had one of the most severe cases of gerd that my endo had ever seen prior to RNY. I literally coughed every day all day long. It was extremely disruptive and embarrassing because many times i could not even catch my breath it got so bad.

They changed me from meds i had been on to what they called the gold standard in gerd medications. I was on a double dose of Nexium. It did absolutely nothing for me. For my I ended up drinking alot of mylanta, chewing on tums, drinking Alka selzer and walking the floors.

In the end the only thing that solved it for me was RNY. I have never had a single episode of even basic heartburn since my surgery.

By the way....they did determine that this severe gerd was brought on by my bi-pap machine. They had increased my pressure slightly and that weakened the sphincter in my esophagus. We had to keep reducing the pressures and although it helped slightly the damage was done.

But RNY resolved it for me thank goodness.

I would definately call your doctor immediately tomorrow given you never had it before this test.

That sounds horrible! I'm glad it's better. Yes, I'm calling as soon as I'm out of my barium swallow this morning.

Well, I took some nexium, and it completely took care of it. I didn't even call the surgeon because 1) it was gone by Monday morning and 2) I was too busy puking after my barium swallow. Yuck!