Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve scheduled for 10/19- would you do it again?

The pre surgical testing and doing due diligence in research should have you to the point that when you make this decision you absolutely know what your doing. You spend as many years as I did in a struggle and then remove your thyroid. 50 lbs means I can run and play with my grand kids, walk around the zoo with them without huffing and puffing, off my BP meds, no longer boarder line diabetic. 50 lbs means longer life and. Enter quality of life. My cup is more than half full it may be 50/100 but I got there in 5 months.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

No I wouldn't do it again. Wish I never did it at all. I am 6.5 weeks out. Worse decision of my life. I read you want to lose 50 lbs. For 50 lbs? No way. Never.

I said I lost 50lbs a few years back. Gained it all back. I was lower BMI than most but have more than 50 to lose. Hope you feel better tho.

The pre surgical testing and doing due diligence in research should have you to the point that when you make this decision you absolutely know what your doing. You spend as many years as I did in a struggle and then remove your thyroid. 50 lbs means I can run and play with my grand kids, walk around the zoo with them without huffing and puffing, off my BP meds, no longer boarder line diabetic. 50 lbs means longer life and. Enter quality of life. My cup is more than half full it may be 50/100 but I got there in 5 months.

You can never know everything before surgery. You can never know exactly how you will feel about your new normal until you experience it.

You can never predict every post op complication that you might encounter either.

Most people do great but some of us stay ill and incredibly debilitated for months on end.

No amount of research can predict exactly what the outcome will be post op. I am nearly six months out and still can't eat normally. I am exhausted, hungry and weak. I did my research thoroughly for over two years pre op. My bariatric team just say "this happens sometimes".

Well they never told me that any of this could happen! By six months out, I was supposed to be well and up on my feet.

Yes, I am at normal weight now but what good is that if you are too weak and sick to move?

For some people, this surgery was just not the right decision.

You can never know everything before surgery. You can never know exactly how you will feel about your new normal until you experience it.

You can never predict every post op complication that you might encounter either.

Most people do great but some of us stay ill and incredibly debilitated for months on end.

No amount of research can predict exactly what the outcome will be post op. I am nearly six months out and still can't eat normally. I am exhausted, hungry and weak. I did my research thoroughly for over two years pre op. My bariatric team just say "this happens sometimes".

Well they never told me that any of this could happen! By six months out, I was supposed to be well and up on my feet.

Yes, I am at normal weight now but what good is that if you are too weak and sick to move?

To suggest that your experience was something that is going to happen to all is irresponsible if it can drastically improve the health of others. Too many people have had positive improvements. We shouldn't push our negative opinion on others as the rule. When it is not. I have multiple auto immune illnesses and have struggled with weight which compounds the discomfort of arthritis, fibro, CFS, hormonal imbalances causing leptin resistance. Metabolic syndrome, High Blood pressure. Diabetes, I am a nurse and have bad knees, hip etc. celiac, and diverticulosis. Graves Disease and Graves Eye Disease.

So after all my research in a way to improve quality of life, this was the answer. So that's all I'm saying!

To suggest that your experience was something that is going to happen to all is irresponsible if it can drastically improve the health of others. Too many people have had positive improvements. We shouldn't push our negative opinion on others as the rule. When it is not. I have multiple auto immune illnesses and have struggled with weight which compounds the discomfort of arthritis, fibro, CFS, hormonal imbalances causing leptin resistance. Metabolic syndrome, High Blood pressure. Diabetes, I am a nurse and have bad knees, hip etc. celiac, and diverticulosis. Graves Disease and Graves Eye Disease.

So after all my research in a way to improve quality of life, this was the answer. So that's all I'm saying!

I am not pushing my opinion on anyone.

My having a different experience than others does not make it invalid.

I have never said that this surgery isn't good for some people.

I have clearly said it was simply not right for ME.

And people like me should not be expected to keep quiet simply because we aren't "happy sleevers".

There are people struggling out there who need to know that it is okay to feel the way they feel regardless of whether they like what they chose to do.

I certainly never suggested that our experience is "going to happen" to anyone else. We are in the minority for sure.

You can't have it both ways though. Either people need to do their research and be educated pre op ( which means they should be aware of people like me ) or they should just skip merrily into surgery hearing only the success stories.

Being healthy should be our goal and sometimes just getting thinner can have a higher physical cost than high blood pressure.

I understand that you are happy with your decision and some if us are not.

That's all I am saying.

I am just over a year post sleeve and just hit the 100 lbs lost mark. Now I would honestly say I would do it all over again but six months ago I would have said no. It is a tough, long recovery and takes a lot if strength but stick it out and the end results are so worth it.

I am 11 weeks out today and still not feeling great. So you think it all

Got better at the 6 month mark?? Looking for hope!

I definitely felt better 6 months out. The big thing for me is rmembering to eat Protein first then veggies then fruits. Protein for energy is key. After a year I still have a hard time with energy if I don't eat correctly but really, with the weight I have lost and how much better I feel overall it is a small price to pay. My entire life is different now, including how I eat. I always try and remember that the surgery just decreased the amount I can eat at a time. I still had to deal with my food issues. I hope things improve for you and that you are happy with where you are at.

Yes, I would do it again!

At 6 months I got off Nexium PPI and remained reflux free.

At 6 months my gurgling stomach noises went away, and if they occasionally come back, they are lot quieter.

At 6 months I was down 70Ib.

At 6 months most of the foods (healthy ones) that did not agree with me, I am now able to eat.

At 6 months, the stomach is completely healed.

I am now 8 months post op, and doing well.

Wishing all the earlier post op members great improvement in health and great results!