Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

justwaitin2b banded in October and a bit scared

Wow, thats quite intresting, I never thought of it that way. I dislike the thought that an elastic will be holding your tummy tight. what if it breaks? does anyone know what will happen then.?

Wow, thats quite intresting, I never thought of it that way. I dislike the thought that an elastic will be holding your tummy tight. what if it breaks? does anyone know what will happen then.?

Really it is not an elastic holding your tummy. But if the band breaks (never heard of that happening) they just take it out. Replace it. That is the beauty of the band, it is reversible.

dear fat4lyfe, the band can be disconnected from the port, at about a 5 cm interval, therefore if there is a problem with either part, it can be replaced. The band itself is silicone, and as far as my reseach goes, I have never heard of one breaking like you are envisioning. If you are looking into this process, you do need to approach it with a positive attitude. Yes, you should fully research your decision, and check out all options - but for most of us, we are all ready committed to the process, and have enough natural emotions, both up and down to contend with, I hope that your post was not meant to be intentionally negative? please feel free to keep posting, and asking lots of questions - if your questions are genuine... cheers K

Hi,

I'm a 27 yr old 5'5" 220lb female who is getting banded at the end of October. I've tried soooo many diets in the last 20 years and no matter how much i lost the weight always came back. Though I am excited to get lapband, i am scared and nervous about the unknown long term effects. i am also concerned about having a child someday, even though i read child bearing is not a problem.

I hope to learn more about other people's experiences - pros and cons!

RS

Hi! It's me again.

I just went to my doctor yesterday. It was my first time seeing him since my gall bladder surgery a week and a half ago. I told him that I am gong to stick with the band. I spent this week week doing a lot of praying, soul searching and asking for a lot of advise. I just can't bring myself to the point where I'm alright with the bypass. I feel so good about my decision. He said that I would difinity lose 100 lbs., but the rest would take a lot of work on my part. I want to lose 200 lbs., but I would be happy with 150 -170. The doctor says I can have my lap band around the end of October. He wants to to lose 20 lbs. before then. Thanks for all the support, and advise.:)

Karen,

Please accept my simple perspective on obesity and the banding procedure in hopes that it will alleviate your fears. I have been fighting with my body for 35 years. I am tired of an unfair, one-sided fight. I didn't even know about the LapBand until 6 weeks ago. I am now scheduled for the surgery on October 8. To put the whole situation into the simplest terms, I don't mind a fair fight or challenge with a level playing field for both sides. However, I have been fighting a war with my body and it is equipped with state-of-the-art biological weapons (the human body--the most versatile, sophisticated entity known to humanity). I, on the other hand, have been fighting with a popgun and Water pistol (useless diets, magic pills, captivating exercise machines, etc.). Every time I tried to get an advantage in the battle, my body would come up with a superior defense. It basically said, "This is my fat and you can't have it."

Well, I am not going to be defeated. The LapBand procedure has become my ultimate weapon or tool to gain control over the battle. I am going to win, now because the LapBand is going to level the playing field and give me a fair chance to win.

Before scheduling my surgery, I immersed myself in obesity research, studied nutritional and dietary information, listened to forum comments, spoken to post-surgery patients, and attended seminars and support group meetings. I narrowed all the complicated research and information into the simple analogy, which I have just described.

Putting the LapBand procedure into these simple terms and doing all the research that led me to this analogy have neutralized all the fears and apprehensions that I had. To me, it is that simple. I am going to win the battle, gain control of my body, and live the longest, healthiest life I can to be the husband, father, grandfather, and friend that I want to be to my family and friends. We only have one life to live and I plan to live it in good health.

I hope this simple perspective will help you with your approach to the LapBand procedure. I wish you the best. Think positive.

Hi homegrl & welcome, I understand your concerns, but seriously you need to weigh the "long term" effects of being overweight, with the long term effects of living a full and healthy life......you are only young now, but trust me when you get to your late thirties, life gets better because you start to know yourself on a deeper level, but your health starts to say.........okay - that's it - I'm starting to run out of puff, here's some sore joints, and here's some aching feet, and here's some racing heartbeats, and take that - there's a enlarged fatty liver!! If you get the band done now - you have a chance of saving yourself from these health issues. Many people have had babies, and kept the band in - just no fill, that way they are still eating nutritious food, cause bub will take it's share first, and let your body have the left overs.... and you know what - it might even prevent you from adding an extra 20 kilo's of not-baby weight, so you can be a happy and healthy mummy!! Go For it - Your children will be happy that you live to see them grow up........ hugs K

Hi Janet - I am so pleased and proud that you stuck to your guns, and asserted yourself regarding having the band!!! woo-hoo!!! Yes - you will lose the first 100lbs relatively text book - because that is what the band is designed to do, but it is still just a tool, and you need to do the hard work!! but look at what you are acheiving now - just with will power...... imagine when your silicone friend is helping you, by saying "no thanks Janet, I've had enough", or saying "no please don't try that white, gluey bread"......... there is absolutely no reason why you cannot carry on the same principles, and get your fills, follow up care...right to goal weight. the doctor is just covering his arse, by saying what the averages are - but honey, you ain't average - you are amazing!!! and you will do this!!! Go Janet - Go Janet - Go Janet....okay I'll put my pom-pom's down now. Now remember my date is 29 October - so we will be closer bandsters now... how cool is that!! hugs K

Dear B.Brown you sound like a great person to keep one's thoughts so rational........ I like your comparison!! i did laugh reading it - because it is so true!! And man - I am turning my Water pistol in, for a huge big high power fire hose!! Good luck to you too...and keep posting, cheers K

that is wonderful - just think of how u are going to be in the future - you are going to get your body back - this band is the tool to be the best u can be - You Go Girl!!!!!!!

Hi Janet - I am so pleased and proud that you stuck to your guns, and asserted yourself regarding having the band!!! woo-hoo!!! Yes - you will lose the first 100lbs relatively text book - because that is what the band is designed to do, but it is still just a tool, and you need to do the hard work!! but look at what you are acheiving now - just with will power...... imagine when your silicone friend is helping you, by saying "no thanks Janet, I've had enough", or saying "no please don't try that white, gluey bread"......... there is absolutely no reason why you cannot carry on the same principles, and get your fills, follow up care...right to goal weight. the doctor is just covering his arse, by saying what the averages are - but honey, you ain't average - you are amazing!!! and you will do this!!! Go Janet - Go Janet - Go Janet....okay I'll put my pom-pom's down now. Now remember my date is 29 October - so we will be closer bandsters now... how cool is that!! hugs K

Hey Karen,

Don't put the pom poms down - think of all the calories your burning :rose:

Hi, I am new to this forum (although I have been lurking for a few months now). I am scheduled for my surgery on Oct. 11. I start my liver shrinking diet tomorrow (woo-hoo!), but I am sooooo ready to do this thing! I am scared, but excited - I would like to lose about 130-150 lbs. I am a physical therapist (believe it or not) and have always felt a little out of place in my career. I have been big all of my life - don't know what it feels like NOT to be overweight. I looked at alot of the before and after pics on here, and everyone looks fantastic!!! I took my first "before" pic tonight, look forward to posting my own "afters". Okay, well I just wanted to introduce myself, and wish you all good luck!

Jennifer:)

That's wonderful ANN, I am so excited for you, you have tried so hard, and I was nervous for you today, in case he made you wait.................. See it just takes one shovel at a time, to eventually move mountains!!! hugs K

Hi and big warm welcome Jennifer, You can do it!!! Keep posting, and keep us up to date. It helps to share the journey with such supportive, accepting, and non judgemental people! cheers K