Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strange- about soda, pop, cola, whatever you call it, LOL

Hi folks. Went to a seminar yesterday- one more to go, then I get to meet my surgeon. I have to wait until January for that meeting, but hey, its' coming along.

Anyhow, I asked about soda and weight loss surgery. Strange the dietician said you can have flat soda at four months time, and eventually, fizzy soda later on in the year, providing that it is diet, of course. I asked her if it would erode the band, and she said no, it's impossible, as the band is on the outside of the stomach. So, another conflict in what others are being told, ggggggggrrrrrrrr. Anyone else's dietician tell them this? I would miss my Fresca and diet ginger ale the most, although, I don't have them often. It would be nice to know if it's a permanent no-no, or temporary.

She also said many people can't eat meat for about four months after any weight loss surgery, lap band included. Glad I am having it done after the holidays, can't imagine Christmas without the beef, ham, lamb or turkey-which ever meat we'll be having this year (I haven't made up my mind yet which to serve :D )

I also recommended this site for some people at the seminar. Seems like a lot of them had no idea there were great support groups on the net available to them.

I never heard that the reason for no carbonation was that it might erode the band and I agree with your dietician that that would be impossible. I have heard that all of that fizzing can stretch the pouch, but I'm not even sure about that. What I do know for sure is that with the band, a lot of gas gets trapped in your stomach and can be painful. In my case this is followed by the most amazingly loud burps that seem to go on and on. See the ever popular "burping and farting" thread for more about this. I couldn't imagine drinking anything with fizz in it because I think this would just exacerbate the problem. I used to love diet coke and I drank at least one or two a day, but I haven't had any since banding. I don't miss it. I drink crystal light or tea and I'm satisfied.

Nancy

Hi Audrey,

Congratulations on your progress towards banding. That is interesting about their take on soda. I hadn't heard it broken down into a time contraint way before. Yes, I am sure there are many people out there without good support and I feel bad for them. I think most people would benefit tremendously from being a part of a group like this one. A friend of mine knows somebody who had the by-pass. I guess this girl had a lot of slim friends and as she has tried to lose weight she has become a social threat to her friends. Many of them try to sabotage her progress or have quit being friends all together. My friend was comparing my experience in regards to WLS and friendships. She knows about the forum and my having actually gained tons of friends during my weight loss progress. I remember losing the link to this forum once when we lost our list of "favorites" and I was in a panic searching the net for this place. I finally found Donali on one of the yahoo groups and she sent me the link again. Best wishes Audrey and enjoy you Christmas dinner. Teresa

Can't eat meat for four months after surgery???? NEVER heard of that!

I know ALL of us here were eating meat 1 month after surgery let alone 4 months after surgery. I have heard that soda can erode the band..Have you ever seen what Coca-Cola can do to an old car battery? I eats away all of the acid build up so I can only imagine what is does to the insides of our stomachs. My nutritionalist at my surgeons office handed me my post op instructions and the only thing written under the NO columm and in big bold letters was NO CARBONATION EVER AGAIN!! Since there are so many conflicting theories on this subject and my Dr. says NO I have just opted to stay away from soda 100% because to me my band is the most improtant thing and I do not want to do anything to jeopardize it. I want my band for as long as possible.

Best of Luck to you

Thanks, Teresa, I shall enjoy the last big meal, LOL. I am glad I told these people about this place and obesity.com. They looked like they really could use the support- not to mention, people at both places know how it feels. Not saying family members or friends aren't supportive, but if they're thin or slightly over weight and can lose it by conventional means, they don't understand the frustrations and fears some of us go through daily. So, the more help, the better. You've all been great here for me, in more ways than one.

La Madame, I think I worded the meat part wrong, LOL. I meant the dietician said many people can't eat meat for the first four months, as they find it difficult to chew and digest- she didn't say you couldn't have it, that just many people said they weren't able to eat it for awhile.

I've heard this about having a problem with meat post-op too. Personally, I've only had some issues with certain types of meat. I don't tackle steak often, because no matter how much you chew, it just don't break down to mush. I don't handle lobster, scallops and some types of 'rubbery' texture fishes. Other than that, I handle chicken breast just fine, but I hear others say they have a problem with it. tuna works great! As do flaky, white fish. I do alot of chili and crabcakes. There are lots of choices. I think the most important thing is to realize and admit that pre-band we really DID NOT chew and swallow as well as we thought. Now, you're forced to learn that or you suffer. :D Good luck!

Could your dietician be referring to RNY (bypass) in regards to meat? I know they have a very hard time digesting meats (especially beef). I've personally had no problems with any types - beef, chicken, pork, fish, etc. Just be sure they are very moist, and have a sauce handy if needed - so they go down easy. Chew very tiny pieces very, very well before swallowing. I had a really gross sliming episode with a too-dry chicken strip once. As far as carbonated drinks, I've tried a few sips of Diet Coke since banding. It gave me a reflux-type feeling inside- not pleasant at all. And who wants a flat coke? Yuke! So I definitely don't miss those now.

I use to have diet Coke running through my veins, about 2 years ago I got tired of it and started drinking bottled Water, now I have a bottle with me constantly and have it delivered to my house by the cases. Although, I use to be able to gulp down half a bottle at a time, now it's tiny sips and it takes so much longer to get through 1 bottle. When I go to a restaurant, I ask for a dish of lemons and sprinkle tiny bit of sweet n low, and it went down so easy, haven't tried since the band. I did have some light lemonade today, omg, over ice, it was the bomb!