Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tracking troubles/accountability

Hello...just wondering if anyone improved in their ability to track food after surgery, especially with any long-term effects. I am aware of many tracking apps and whatnot, but I have struggled with consistency and accountability. If I eat something that I feel others would judge as unhealthy, then I wouldn't want to put it down. Ifeel like the only way to be completely honest would be if I knew no one could see my tracking. I know that having others see it is part of the idea behind being accountable, but for me,it doesn't work. Also, I struggle to stay committed to writing/recording stuff down. I guess I'm a bit lazy, in that respect.

I know the sleeve and other WLS as well, are just tools, but have any of you with my experience made a **real change** in your tracking after surgery, and what do you feel impacted that change? I'm curious and very worried that I'm going to be one of those "people who regain all the weight back". I have occasional binges, but I feel that my weight is a combination of my low thyroid (but on meds most of my life), slow meyabolism, over eating (often beyond full, but rarely to the point of being sick), bad choices and inconsistent behavior when choosing healthy foods. Thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing your responses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I have been writing down everything that I put in my body since I began my six-month insurance-required diet in March. I have continued that since my surgery last Wednesday. I write down the food (with amount), the calories, the carbs, and the Protein. Pre-op, when I cooked at home (which was most of the time), I weighed everything. When we ate out (mostly when I was traveling for work and dinner on the nights I arrived back home), we would choose places with their nutritional information posted online or I would estimate on the high end.

Right now, it doesn't matter as much. At Day 8 post-op, I am still on Clear liquids and Protein powder. I haven't even cracked 200 calories yet. But, as I progress through these stages, the calories and Protein will slowly climb and I am going to keep my carbs under 20. Journaling will be key in keeping everything straight.

I have shared my food journal with the nutritionist several times, but that's about it (though I am not opposed to anyone looking at it). I also record my weight on it on Monday's (and occasionally other days when I hit one of the milestones I set for myself).

Journaling has really kept me accountable and has been key to 111 pound weight loss (so far!).

Good luck!

I am religious about tracking my food in apps. Mainly because I have no appetite and without tracking I would never eat enough.

I have found that recording everything, even when I go off plan, helps a lot. First it stopped me from having cheat days or cheat weeks. I can see that having one thing, is one thing, and I can still recover the rest of the day. It lets me see that things aren't as bad as I think or they are worse than I think. Like Protein bars for example. I'm not blowing a day worth of carbs on a Protein Bar, when I can stretch those carbs out over the whole day. Recording everything makes it easier to understand your macros in the long term. Like for example I know I can have something out if I eat well the rest of the day. It makes it easier to live this as a lifestyle and not a diet.

Thank you for all your replies and the apps that you use. I will check them out. However, the thing I'M curious about is whether if you were bad at tracking before and you improved in your tracking post-op? Was there a mental shift for you? I mean, surgery is a huge endeavor and it would be pretty wasteful to abuse it. I really don't want to do that. I more curious about the attitude and approach to tracking vs the tracking itself. @OutsideMatchInside... interesting that you had to track so that you would eat ENOUGH! I can't imagine that.

@@ginabee38

I think it is all about mindset. For me, the surgery itself is one part of a much bigger journey. I changed my relationship with food before the surgery; I started tracking my intake on March 21 and my surgery was September 28. That being said, I had never been successful in tracking my intake before I started this journey last spring. For me, it was seeing 400 pounds on the scale and knowing that I HAD to make a change. I, too, wanted to make the most of this opportunity, but my goal was to lose as much pre-op as possible and then continue that momentum post-op. I have never depended solely on the surgery. The journaling has been key to that strategy.

Thank you for all your replies and the apps that you use. I will check them out. However, the thing I'M curious about is whether if you were bad at tracking before and you improved in your tracking post-op? Was there a mental shift for you? I mean, surgery is a huge endeavor and it would be pretty wasteful to abuse it. I really don't want to do that. I more curious about the attitude and approach to tracking vs the tracking itself. @OutsideMatchInside... interesting that you had to track so that you would eat ENOUGH! I can't imagine that.

I have to say that before surgery, I always liked the idea of tracking, but never stuck to it (a few days, a week tops). Post-op, however, I am very diligent about tracking on the Baritastic app. I don't really know why. I think I'm somewhat fearful about getting dehydrated or not getting enough Protein that it motivates me to keep better track.

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

@@ginabee38 It's ironic that you posted this because today I am 5weeks post gastric sleeve surgery and on my first week of solid food. I'm not great at tracking, calorie counting, journaling etc.

But I want to be successful, so tonite I downloaded an app called My Net Diary. All I did was type in my stats and goal weight. Then typed in what I ate.. Every food and brand name possibl

e is in there, just click! So easy and it breaks down calories, fat, carb and Protein for the day. I figured what the heck, I'm on the phone anyway! I also got these portioned little plastic containers

Can find at Walgreen's, Marshalls or As seen on TV. They are 1cup, half cup etc. Takes the guess work out of it! If I don't have a plan, one that I will follow, I will fail. It's easy to fall back on bad habits.. Even with a tool. My mirror is my motivation!! I'm not giving myself a time limit, just a weight loss goal. Good luck on your journey.. This app has been a great resource as well!

. I more curious about the attitude and approach to tracking vs the tracking itself.

There's no philosophical, psychological or sociological component, no mystery of life to it. No one likes to clean the bathroom. People do it anyway because it's good to have a clean bathroom. Tracking food is that simple. Having a complete record of one's eating not only makes for accountability to one's self, it's a good tool if rate of loss slows. By looking back over food choices, it's possible to spot areas that could use improvement.

As to your fear of others seeing your trackers, the truth is that no one really cares. Sure, the bariatric staff is happy when someone is doing well, but when people slide off the road, it doesn't change the lives of the staff. After high school, professors didn't give a damn if students didn't complete assignments. With regard to homework and eating, we're not all that important to others who aren't our intimates.

@@ginabee38

I was terrible at tracking before, and like you, if I ate bad I just wouldn't log it. Like that made it not happen.

Post op I HAD to track so I could make sure I was getting my nutrients, I didn't want to be sick or end up in the hosptial. Then after tracking for months, it really became a habit. Then I could see the benefits because you can definitely see patterns in your eating and weight loss that help you fine tune your eating.

I started tracking with Fitbit, then when I gave up using my fitbit because if #$^@%^# sucks I started using LoseIt! Premium. The app doesn't really matter though, just that you track.

If I get busy for a day and I don't track all day as I eat, I really freak out. It is easiest to track as you are eating so you don't forget things.

@@ginabee38

I use MFP, My Fitness Pal, and my food Diary is set to Private, so only I can see it.

My dietician set the goals and percentages for me, and I recorded them under goals.

Yes, when I occasionally over-indulge on ice-cream, I can really see the enormous amount of calories, sugar and fat that it has. It hurts, but I am honest and record my falling off the wagon episodes.

I track daily. Took a while to set it up, but once the regular foods are in the system, it is easy to add them.

It tracks Protein, carbs, calories, Water drank, and it is easy to see at the end of each day how I went.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who bailed on tracking crappy foods. Someone above said it's sple to track, but I have always found it quite challenging (it's a very simple concept, but not necessarily easy for me to maintain the practice of tracking). I guess, from a medically safe perspective, it's really crucial to track, especially in the beginning with liquids and Protein, so we don't wind up in the hospital dehydrated. I guess this is the perfect opportunity to establish good tracking habits, so that it becomes second nature. Thank you all for your input and responses!