Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone that has stopped taking medication

I have been told that the blood pressure medication that I take now, that I will no longer need to take any after the sleeve, So is there anyone who has stopped taking any kind of medication after your sleeve.

About 4 weeks after my sleeve, I had to lower the dosage on my main blood pressure med because my blood pressure had dropped too low. a month after that, I had to stop that main medication altogether because my blood pressure was dropping again and i was having really scary bad dizzy spells. I still take my other bp med but we are planning to stop that in december (6 months post sleeve).

Some surgeons stay stop taking it immediately post op but I would check with your PCP first. Just know that if you are taking it post op - be very watchful - get a bp cuff and start taking your own measurements daily if you don't already. And if you start having dizzy spells - contact your PCP immediately in case you need to lower dosage. I was very surprised at how fast I was able to come off it.

I was taking two lisinoprils each day prior to surgery. My surgeon said not to take them when I got home. If my BP was up after a few weeks, to get in touch with my primary care doc. My BP never went back up, and I haven't had a pill since August 3.

I don't know your history or the meds you take, so check with your surgeon and/or PCP.

It is an individual thing. At 2.5 months out, I was able to cut my BP med in half. Hope to be off it permanently at some point.

I stopped taking my BP meds 1 week after my surgery. I was monitoring at home in the morning before I took my meds. It dropped too low with the medicine so I stopped it and then kept monitoring twice a day. This way if it came up then I could take a dose or half dose. I never needed to take any more.

coming off BP meds was scary stuff for me! my bariatric team had my PCP in charge of managing that, and I had an in home cuff. we kept cutting the dose and I have been off of it for a couple of months now.

anyone who stopped taking any kind of medication after your sleeve.

@@mstrice

oh dear, another long post from me :blink:

interesting timing of this post - saw my doc yesterday

blood pressure and diabetes are both usually helped by WLS (lower the dosage, or have

med removed totally)

i was taken off my blood pressure and diabetes meds shortly after sleeve (5 years ago)

my epilepsy dosage was cut in 1/2 after a year!!! (biggest unexpected NSV)

i told dr yesterday i thought we needed to talk about my BP and diabetes

both #'s have been going up :(

i did go back on BP meds a few months ago - doc agreed i now need to take more

my diabetes meds should also be restarted

doc "thinks" epilepsy meds should remain the same, no prob

doing blood work once a month for the next year - gotta make sure no problems with seizures

the above is about ME only

many OP won't have to ever take meds again or will have a lower dosage

sleeve has been around for a llllllong time

initially did it to help OP with stomach cancer

docs were realizing people were losing lots of weight PO

docs then decided to make sleeve a WLS

as time passes, more stats will be available from the sleeve

(since they want more time for averages/stats)

docs might realize that meds might have to be restarted for some

don't mean to be a doubting dora

just saying stuff i heard

(if i'm mistaken please don't throw Protein shakes or bars at me )

good luck with surgery

kathy

@@proudgrammy interesting post, and valuble.

I do think it is going to depend on each person's medical profile. example: I had only recently become diabetic and the team fully expects me to not need medication again. ever. (they THINK) we will see. A1c will be tested at my yearly bariatric blood panel, as they do for everyone along with the thousand other things they check.

however, they did NOT think I would come off BP meds due to a big time family history of blood pressure, heart attacks and stroke on BOTH sides of my family, the obese and thin ones. but, for now, I don't need them. we'll see as time goes on. feels good to be off them right now. I had been on them for several years.

for me any reprieve is good - be it a year, 5 years or the rest of my life, and at my age I've learned I can't really predict this crazy body but just do the best I can. the sleeve helps my best be better.

I stopped my diabetes meds 2 weeks before surgery but obviously monitor the bs. I average 130 since then. Prior to surgery my A1C dropped to 5.8. If my A1C is higher after 3 months post surgery, I will go back on it for awhile.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Medications...YES!!!...

I have been a chronic pain patient most all of my adult life. I am now in my 50's. As a child I had Scoliosis, deformed spine and a spinal degeneration that our family's Dr. just told my mother to not worry about it, I would most likely outgrow it before I get out of High School. Well, that was not the case. It only got worse.

However, I married my soulmate at 23 and had my first of 30+ surgeries to fix what should have been done as a child. 30 years later I finally found a Trauma Surgeon willing to tackle my case. I spent so much of my life in pain, bedridden, in a wheelchair and going to Pain Clinics for the past 2 decades. This is no quality of life for anyone.

Because of my health, I can honestly say I have been on more meds than I could have ever imagined a single person in their lifetime to ever take. My problem was that my body had been on so many meds for years that I was unsure if I was even benefitting from them anymore. (Turns out, I can't tell a difference so I know it was the right decision.)

It started when my husband found the magnificent Trauma surgeon who eventually gave back to me something I was never born with. He built me a spine with an "S" Curve. The spine I was born with was not only twisted but was flat and crushing nearly every nerves along its length. That was step one. Step two was physical therapy, and finally step three... Med Reduction.

I had the Gastric Sleeve because I needed to reduce the amount of meds my body was taking in each day. Because if something didn't change soon, my kidneys would be failing and then that would be it. I figured if Diabetics would be able to possibly stop taking their insulin...well then maybe I could stop taking some of the meds I've been on for years.

I've talked to many DR's about it for over 3 years. I did a lot of research, found people with the right answers and was lucky enough to get the team of Dr's. that were 100% behind me in helping me achieve my goal.

This last Dr informed me he has had several patients, who were on meds, who eventually reduce substantially or even stop them pills completely. That's all I needed to hear. I started my journey to have The Sleeve and now being 3 months post, I have stopped taking my Gabapentin (2700mg day) Cymbalta and a few other numerous meds. I am clearer in my thoughts, brighter in my eyes and more aware that my Kidneys are no longer in danger. I was Stage 3 Kidney Disease for over a year....no more. My numbers are almost back to normal. So YES it can help reduce your Meds...I am proof it happens.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using the BariatricPal App

Medications...YES!!!...

I have been a chronic pain patient most all of my adult life. I am now in my 50's. As a child I had Scoliosis, deformed spine and a spinal degeneration that our family's Dr. just told my mother to not worry about it, I would most likely outgrow it before I get out of High School. Well, that was not the case. It only got worse.

However, I married my soulmate at 23 and had my first of 30+ surgeries to fix what should have been done as a child. 30 years later I finally found a Trauma Surgeon willing to tackle my case. I spent so much of my life in pain, bedridden, in a wheelchair and going to Pain Clinics for the past 2 decades. This is no quality of life for anyone.

Because of my health, I can honestly say I have been on more meds than I could have ever imagined a single person in their lifetime to ever take. My problem was that my body had been on so many meds for years that I was unsure if I was even benefitting from them anymore. (Turns out, I can't tell a difference so I know it was the right decision.)

It started when my husband found the magnificent Trauma surgeon who eventually gave back to me something I was never born with. He built me a spine with an "S" Curve. The spine I was born with was not only twisted but was flat and crushing nearly every nerves along its length. That was step one. Step two was physical therapy, and finally step three... Med Reduction.

I had the Gastric Sleeve because I needed to reduce the amount of meds my body was taking in each day. Because if something didn't change soon, my kidneys would be failing and then that would be it. I figured if Diabetics would be able to possibly stop taking their insulin...well then maybe I could stop taking some of the meds I've been on for years.

I've talked to many DR's about it for over 3 years. I did a lot of research, found people with the right answers and was lucky enough to get the team of Dr's. that were 100% behind me in helping me achieve my goal.

This last Dr informed me he has had several patients, who were on meds, who eventually reduce substantially or even stop them pills completely. That's all I needed to hear. I started my journey to have The Sleeve and now being 3 months post, I have stopped taking my Gabapentin (2700mg day) Cymbalta and a few other numerous meds. I am clearer in my thoughts, brighter in my eyes and more aware that my Kidneys are no longer in danger. I was Stage 3 Kidney Disease for over a year....no more. My numbers are almost back to normal. So YES it can help reduce your Meds...I am proof it happens.

I had RNY, but I was taking two different BP pills (3 meds total, one pill was a combo of two meds). About 2 weeks after surgery my BP crashed. It was actually kind of a scary feeling. I called my surgeon and he had me stop one of my pills (the combo pill).

I followed up with my PCP a couple weeks later and she cut the other pill in half.

A few weeks after that I was approved to cut them out all together.

I was kept on the PPI while I healed, but after a few months I came off those as well.

I now only take 2 Centrum multi Vitamins a day. Blood work is great, BP is well controlled and no GERD. Awesome stuff.

I went in for my surgery taking a lisinopril/hydrochlorothiazide combo...haven't needed one since day of surgery. I also quit taking Celebrex and am having no joint pain, and my fibromyalgia symptoms have all subsided. I'm still taking a low dose of amitriptyline but my PCM plans to wean me off it by Christmas to see if the fibro stays at bay. I'm very hopeful :)

anyone who has stopped taking any medication after sleeve.

@@mstrice

After WLS, many peoples meds situation changes/improves

this is one of the many benefits to WLS

i mentioned in my earlier post (#7)

that i will be going back on diabetes meds

and increase my blood pressure meds

my sugars and BP have gotten higher :(

that is very disappointing

BUTTTTT......i'm kind of paranoid

i would rather take a few pills to make sure i remain healthy

too many bad things could happen to ME, if i don't go back to meds

i would rather be safe than sorry