Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

has anyone lost 50lbs or more and how long did it take?

I was banded the end of April of '06, and by August I had lost the first 50 pounds. I lost 8 of them pre op. The weight loss slowed down then, and I also began replacing some of the fat with muscle, as I finally felt like I wanted to work out a bit!!! It felt good! I had NEVER thought that before!!!

I wish I was as strong as losingjusme...I don't give my cravings a day!!!! If I want the chocolate, I have a hersheys kiss, and am able now to leave it at that.

Dr.s have to be very conservative in their assessments. If he told you you would lose 100 pounds in a year, and you only lost 30 you would be dissappointed and angry. If he tells you you will likely only lose 30 pounds in a year, and you lose 100---you are happy and thrilled with him and the band both!!!

He has to give you numbers with the possibility that YOU may not do anything to help the band along---healthy diet, and exercise wise.

The last 50+ pounds coming off have taken another year---but I have lost lots of inches, I am toning up, even if not losing massive pounds suddenly.

I was on 2 high blood pressure meds, Lotensin, and HCTZ, a blood sugar med, Metformin, and a high cholesterol med, Lovastatin. Within 6 weeks, I was taking lowered doses of HCTZ ONLY...all others had been discontinued, and now I no longer take any HCTZ. While some medications might have to be continued, the weight loss will make some others unnecessary. My savings in RX co pays alone is over $100.00 a month!

I probably spend about the same on food...I buy better food now though! I no longer buy by quantity...but by quality. A nice filet, as opposed to bigger amounts of a lesser cut. Fresh veggies, as opposed to canned. I buy butter as opposed to margarine now---I use so little of it, now that I don't inhale 4 pieces of toast a morning--I can afford to use butter! A pound of Almonds costs more than a bag of potato chips---but it last me much longer, and is a great snack for me...a healthy snack! I eat chips on occasion, but they leave a greasy feel in my mouth, and I gross out on that!!!

There are lots of differences, your mileage with the band might be different from mine or different from someone done the same day---but if you work with your band, I have full faith that you can lose far more than 50 pounds---especially over 2 years. Of course I can say that, I am not your Dr. You are not going to file a silly law suit on me if it doesn't happen!!!!! Are you???!!!

I LOVE my band!!!

Kat

LOL @ Cerrin---nicely! My surgeon was 5 hours by car, and another 5 by air to get to. My fill Dr., is 6 hours one way.....and it is still without a doubt 100% worth it!!!!

Kat

thanks for all of the feedback. it really helps, i know that i need to change my eating habits first or nothing else will work, i have come along way from even 6 months ago, i used to eat all day for about 4 days a week, now i might have one day here and there where i have the munchies all day but it doesnt happen very often, also i have been keeping a food diary since january and it helps me realize what i am eating and how often, i now have to bring my diary to my counselor and she is keeping an eye on how i eat and gives me pointers. i think i am on the right track and even went to the gym today to see how much a membership would be, i want to get back into exercise seeming how ive only exercised 4 times in the last 4 months. i want to start up again and get into a routine before surgery. i just need to get my motivaton back and join the gym. i just got so discouraged when i was going 5 times a week for a month and didnt lose a pound. i hope that you guys will keep in touch with me because it means a lot to me and i think it will help with my goals

thanks andrea

Kat,

Well said...as always. You are such a wonderful inspiration! I am so glad there are people like you on here to keep us level-headed and focused! Thank you! :clap2:

the surgeon i saw today said that i would probably only lose 50lbs and it would take me 2 years to do it. this is so discouraging. he said that i need to lose 140lbs and that it wont happen with the lapband. help i need some feedback?

andrea

Aloha AndielmtYour doctor is so wrong ! I was banded on 7/11/07 and have lost 55 Lbs. Total, 21 per-op, 34 post-op. But I will admit there is a slight difference I'am a 50 year old male,and work out like I'am on fire. Please don't let your doc screw up your head. Some docs only want to do by-pass surgery, I think of that as cut'em and forget'em. As for traveling to a new doctor, let me tell you what my DSW and I go through. We live on the Island of Kauai, Hawaii and our doc is on Oahu, so we have to get very early, drive to the airport wait around for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours, fly to another island, then get a rent a car drive half way around Oahu see the doctor, drive back to Honolulu Airport and fly home late in the evening. (first/last flights are cheaper) and then drive home. So please drive to the new doctor, it will be worth it in long run, it is for us. Take care and good luck, and keep your chin upAlohaBWD

I've lost 85lb and am now at goal, its taken me 20 months. I've lost only 20lb in the last year, though, it just stays stable for aaaaaaages now and then suddenly I drop a few pounds and plateau out again. I'm pretty sure I'll get to my ultimate dream goal of 70kg but it may take me a long time to do it!

I've actually now lost more than 100% of my excess weight, as I'm below the top of my healthy weight range.

I have lost almost 100 ls since june of 06, I do not exercise at all. I eat whatever kind of food my body craves or wants, but do watch my protien to make sure I get enough. The best thing is to remember is to stop eating when your full, or in my case, when I get tired of eating. All that chewing and swallowing can take a while. Sometimes I just quit eating because everyone else is already done and I'm really just tired of chewing.

Banded 4/26............. down 52 lbs

My doc says 1-3 lbs average per week.........

could be 50 or 150............ I'm shooting for 100 by my bandversary... but first to get to ONEderland

My doctors tried to make me get the Gastric Bypass as well...they told me i would only lose 30-50 and im sure i passed 30...i dont know why they do that but you have to be confortable with your decision. gastric is nor reverseable....if you can lose weight with a tool instead of re-routing you organs then why not... but you have to be confortable with your decision....im happy with the band and im only 3 weeks in

good luck

i'm being banded in the morning! YAY!!! dr. spivak told me that i could expect 50-60 lbs weight loss...BUT that depending on diet and exercise and each individual person it could be more. the 50-60lbs is the AVERAGE weight loss for someone w/MY bmi getting the lapband. i've never been "Average" in my life and don't plan on being average w/this either! ((trying to stay positive)). but, i also feel like, 50-60 lbs lighter is still better then where i'm at. and if i could've lost that much on my own, i would've done it YEARS ago!

Andrea, I lost about 60 lbs my first year. That is about 1.1 lbs per week. You may lose faster, it just depends on if you exercise or not. Don't be discouraged. Yes, it will probable take you 2 years to lose 140. Julie

I think I lost 50 after 7 months or so. Everyone reacts differently, so its hard to say how much you'll lose. You can definitely lose more by putting forth more effort. I wish you luck! You can do it!

Since banded on May 22, 2007 I have lost 48 lbs. I am very happy w/ my results......only one fill so far. Your are gonna do fine!!

Sandra

255h/242s/194c/165g

I have lost 52 lbs...I was banded April 6, 2007....I have another 50 lbs to go...my doctor only wants me to lose another 30 lbs, but I am going for 50 more...

I haven't hit 50 yet, but 41 is great! I just got the band a month ago! I have no fill yet, either! I know I will hit 50 soon- maybe for my 35th birthday at the end of October!!!

Oh, your doc said 2 years to lose 50 pounds? You can do it in a matter of months!!!