Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band Failure Rates

I have had my band on for 2 years. I have to say that I am COMPLETELY disappointed. Initially for the first 2-3 months I lost weight but it crept back up and now I am back at square one and have been for over a year. It's VERY frustrating. One day I can eat steak fine, the next time I get sick. One day I can eat fish fine, the next time I get sick. I have had fills, they have removed Fluid. I feel like I am on a roller coaster. I am going to ask about having it removed or at least have all of the fluit taken out. I am going to try either weight watchers or Atkins. I am tired of the roller coaster and ready to get off!!!

I really would like to know how many have been removed, too. I would say a far greater number than we would be lead to believe. I DESPERATELY want mine removed due to GERD and aspiration...but it costs wayyyyy tooooo much and I am a stay at home mom now (with no income).:frown:

I appreciate you posting this data. It is interesting and I think most people go into the surgery knowing that there *may* be some post op work needed further down the road. We just all hope it doesn't happen to us.

Given that, I wonder what kinds of improvements the bands have undergone since this study.

I hope I don't ever lose my band because I really feel it is saving my life.

I think getting exact number would be near impossible. A couple of months ago, my Dr. called me to see how it was going, I had not seen them in a year. My Dr.is 6 hours away, so, since there had been no problems, and especially through the winter, I do not even think about going to see him, it is over several trecherous mountain passes!

I faded into the woodwork, because I was simply maintaining. I am slowly working to lose some weight regained during a stressful time in my life, but overall, it has been no issues, so no check in with the Dr. And I am sure I am not alone in that.

Not to mention the patients who change Dr.'s when problems arise.

Even without problems, I was banded in MX, and have a Dr. here closer--even tho it is 6 hours away!

To get exact numbers would be really difficult!

Good Luck all!

It is interesting seeing some of the stories. I had my 4cc band placed almost 3 years ago. I have lost 80lbs and am now 145 and happy. I have always said I would do it again...now I am concerned. I have had my band filled three weeks in a row any where from 2.7 to 3cc and the following week I am down to 1cc. I had the band fluoro'd today and shockingly (yeah right) there is a leak. What is puzzling is it isn't at the port or band...it appears to be midline of the tubing. That to me sounds like device failure/weakness or improper insertion technique. I see online that FDA is investigating band leaks and I will make sure mine is reported too. Wonder if there will be legal repercussions?

The next step for me is to see if insurance will pay. Then do I get another band or opt for a different surgery. I read only 60% of bands removed are done laparoscopically...I don't want an open surgery because that is greater risk for infection.

Thanks for sharing- Michelle

Edited by radcat

I am still deciding about LB and I'm still undecided. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence on this thread; there is plenty of other positive anecdotal evidence on other threads. I have been trying to locate studies that give us some numbers to use in our analysis. So far I've found one, which follows. Thank you. Study: Obes Surg. 2007 Feb;17(2):168-75. Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in 1,791 consecutive obese patients: 12-year results. Favretti F, Segato G, Ashton D, Busetto L, De Luca M, Mazza M, Ceoloni A, Banzato O, Calo E, Enzi G. Department of Surgery, Regional Hospital - Vicenza, Italy. ffavret@tin.it BACKGROUND: This study examines 1,791 consecutive laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) procedures with up to 12 years follow-up. Long-term results of LAGB with a high follow-up rate are not common. METHODS: Between September 1993 and December 2005, 1,791 consecutive patients (75.1% women, mean age 38.7 years, mean weight 127.7 +/- 24 kg, mean BMI 46.2 +/- 7.7) underwent LAGB by the same surgical team. Perigastric dissection was used in 77.8% of the patients, while subsequently pars flaccida was used in 21.5% and a mixed approach in 0.8%. Data were analyzed according to co-morbidities, conversion, short- and long-term complications and weight loss. Fluoroscopy-guided band adjustments were performed and patients received intensive follow-up. The effects of LAGB on life expectancy were measured in a case/control study involving 821 surgically-treated patients versus 821 treated by medical therapy. RESULTS: Most common baseline co-morbidities (%) were hypertension (35.6), osteoarthritis (57.8), diabetes (22), dyslipidemia (27.1), sleep apnea syndrome (31.4), depression (21.2), sweet eating (22.5) and binge eating (18.5). Conversion to open was 1.7%: due to technical difficulties (1.2) and due to intraoperative complications (0.5). Together with the re-positioning of the band, additional surgery was performed in 11.9% of the patients: hiatal hernia repair (2.4), cholecystectomy (7.8) and other procedures (1.7). There was no mortality. Reoperation was required in 106 patients (5.9%): band removal 55 (3.7%), band repositioning 50 (2.7 %), and other 1 (0.05 %). Port-related complications occurred in 200 patients (11.2%). 41 patients (2.3%) underwent further surgery due to unsatisfactory results: removal of the band in 12 (0.7%), biliopancreatic diversion in 5 (0.27%) and a biliopancreatic diversion with gastric preservation ("bandinaro") in 24 (1.3%). Weight in kg was 103.7 +/- 21.6, 102.5 +/- 22.5, 105.0 +/- 23.6, 106.8 +/- 24.3, 103.3 +/- 26.2 and 101.4 +/- 27.1 at 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 years after LAGB. BMI at the same intervals was 37.7 +/- 7.1, 37.2 +/- 7.2, 38.1 +/- 7.6, 38.5 +/- 7.9, 37.5 +/- 8.5 and 37.7 +/- 9.1. The case/control study found a statistically significant difference in survival in favor of the surgically-treated group. CONCLUSIONS: LAGB can achieve effective, safe and stable long-term weight loss. In experienced hands, the complication rate is low. Follow-up is paramount.

I am a self-pay and have failed at weight loss with the band. I have had the LB for 3 years. I originally lost 100 lbs, but have gained most of it back. My problem is not hunger, but rather emotional/mental. I am so sick over my continued failure that if I weren't such a coward...I'd consider suicide. I am a coward though, so I'm doomed to a life of obesity and pain.

Hammer

Hammer,

I gave my self a shot at the lap band and if it didn't produce results or caused any physical damage it would be removed. I think it was just under one year where my doctor and I decided it was not the right procedure for me and I had it removed. I also was very distraught about it and thought it was "my fault" once again but that was not true. I turned around and a few months later revised to gastric bypass surgery which was the right procedure for me. I won't over analyse why we are "fat" but we have to stop blaming ourselves and just get the right help to fix our problem. I do believe it's much more of a physical problem than an emotional one or lack of self control that many people tend to put on us! We get it every day by watching TV and seeing how many products there are out there to "fix us fat folk" and do they work no they don't! If they did we'd all be thin!

Anyway don't be so hard on yourself! The lap band is not for everyone so look at other positive options for yourself if this is what your really want it's achievable but don't look at it as a lack of self control or character it's just not the right procedure for you! Take care Nancy.

I haven't been on this site in forever. I'm on it tonight b/c I was trying to figure out what could be causing my stomach aches.

I was banded in Aug 2006. I weighed 267 lbs. As of this post (June 2010) I weigh 230. :tongue2:

The lowest I ever got down to was 219 and that was a year after my surgery.

I can not believe what all I have gone through only to lose THIRTY SEVEN POUNDS. I would not consider my band a success so much as in a great weight loss---but more that it only kept me from getting ANY BIGGER than I was. Also, I have had 4 fills. The last 2 did NOTHING for me. For the first day or two, a little sore---then, I couldn't even tell I had a fill.

Here in the past year or so, I have been having alot of stomach aches. (My last fill was about 6 months ago). I don't know how to describe it other than it just feels like an old fashioned tummy ache. My stomach rolls around, eventually I go to the bathroom. Sometimes it's Constipation, sometimes, diarreah, sometimes neither. It especially hurts late at night, like an hour or two before bed.

I have no idea why this is happening. I am not gorging myself, packing in food, etc...

I DO probably drink too much (as in diet coke or unsweet tea) while I'm eating. I will admit that.

My aunt had gastric bypass the same week as I had lap band----she is constantly saying things like "I can't believe that's all the weight you've lost" and watching every bite I put in my mouth if we go out to eat.

I eat about as much as a normal "kids meal" would be if we go to a restraunt or something.

I know I'm rambling...but it's late and I don't know what the problem is and I'm frustrated.

Any advice is welcome.

The new changes in the bands that are out now compared to 5 years ago is a factor. At some point people have to take some responsibility for their actions, and not blame the band after they have found ways to "Eat around them."

Hi Kerrib, sorry you are in the spot you are.

I guess my first question to you would be if you had discussed the lack of reaction to your last two fills with your Dr. If not, thatmay be the place to start. Leaks are not unheard of, and you may be having problems with that. Talk about the problems you are having with stomach pain etc. with him/her. Most Dr.'s want to see you succeed.

The band will never compare in loss rate with the bypass in the beginning, over time, the losses are similar. But, if you had reacted adversely, you can have your band removed, she cannot have her stomach sewn back on. Many people do not have issue with that, if scared me, so I chose banding. IF you eat a balanced diet, you will not need supplements, another issue with bypass that kinda unnerved me!

The amount you are eating is more than I can eat, and I have very mild restriction----VERY mild. I choose to be that way. I cannot eat a whole burger out of a childs meal---I remove the top bun, fold it over, and eat about 1/2 I'd say. French fries, are hard for me to eat---they don't digest well. So I avoid them. So, if you can eat the equivalent to a childs meal, you may need another fill, but not until you are checked out with the Dr!! LOL

Type of food is another thing. Eating out is not a problem, if you do it wisely. I can eat salads, and usually do. But like yesterday I went with a new friend to lunch who is thinking about being banded. We had mexican food. They had a Taco Tuesday thing going on, so we were given 2 tacos, rice and Beans. I ate one taco, and some Beans. Ignored my rice---and the extra taco looked good, there was just not room. So I am still able to eat a meal, I am not one of the 3 bites and I am done bandsters!!! I ignored the rice because it is like the fries, or Pasta, I think they swell, and make me toooooooo full and I hurt then!

Have you tried keeping a journal? Sometimes it can show you where the hidden calorie intake is happening, or you can pinpoint that your stomach hurts every night after you eat XXXX . At any rate, if you keep it, you can carry it with you to your Dr, and show him/her what your intake is, and it will give them a more complete picture of what your fill level is at, than a number on a syringe. Noone can just look and see inside us to know how the band is restricting.....so the more info you arm yourself and your Dr. with the better your chances at figuring it out.

Back to your stomach aches----not sure if it might be an issue, but my granddaughter had similar issues at night. They had them keep record of what she was eating, and come to find out, it was her oranges that were the problem. The citric acid was causing her food to begin rotting, (gross I know sorry!) before it was fully digested, so when she quit the fruit on a belly full of food, she was fine!

Now she eats fruit as a snack, on an empty stomach, and no problems!!! If she eats any kind after dinner---WHAM!! Who would have thought it would be bad??? I know I would reach for that when I wanted sweets! I quit when they found out, and eliminated the gassy issues I was having at night! Same problem I am guessing!

I know many people eat around their band, and when we learn how, most of us do at least occasionally. But....my band is "old" too, I was banded in 2006. The first 2 years were EASY! I dropped faster than I do now, without the diet difference. I have done the 5 day pouch test, and we ( a group of bandsters) have "started over" and yes we lost, but nothing like in the beginning. I believe your metabolism slows in response to the changes---and it does take more work in the latter part of your weight loss than in the beginning. And when you regain it, it is even harder to lose!!! I think it must really like me!! It come back and it wants to stay! LOL

Good Luck. Do some serious investigation and talk to your Dr.

I have had mine put in July 2009 and have to have it removed Sept. 2010. I feel very cheated for the price I paid. Apparently an erosion.

I joined this group in 2003 when I was banded. I would be very surprised if more than 5 of the original members still had their bands. :-(

kerrib, I think it's time for you to have an endoscopy, if you haven't already.

Donali

I was banded in 2003 (I think?, so much has happened since then that I can't remember the date for certain). I love my band, and haven't had any problems with it yet. My surgery was performed by Dr. Fromm @ Hamilton Weight Management.

Now, I am by no means the perfect lapband person but I am still losing weight and even when I plateau, it usually stays within a pound or two.

I hate hearing about all these things going on with the bands right now. I still have about 40 lbs left to go to be at my goal weight but I am trying to get there. I am new to the forum so reading all of this is making me pretty paranoid as mine was a self pay also. Craptastic BCBS wouldn't cover it.

ETA: I was banded in March of 2004. I had to go back and recheck. Couldn't remember to save my life.