Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Underage (17) and bariatric?

Hello!

( I'm placing this in different forums because I'm so new and I have no idea where is a good place for my question, apologies!)

I'm so incredibly new to this so hopefully I'm placing this in the correct area! Anyway, I am 17 and severely overweight. I recently decided I wanted to peruse surgery. My mother is supportive, my brother wants to do it with me, and my grandmother (whom opinion mattered the most) thought it was a great idea.

I am a in the 400 (yikes) and feel like I genuinely have no future for myself if I don't lose the weight. I want to go off to college and I want to be someone and I feel as if this weight is holding me back.

I recently called to attend a seminar and a meeting with my pcp on oct 24th.

I'm worried; it takes 6 months plus a wholeee bunch of tests. I never really kept up with a pcp, I was a very introverted child and pushed doctors away because I didn't want to accept my weight. So I have absolutely NO history of tracked diets. (I did them but never kept up or have evidence of them).

So I guess my questions are;

Do you think it will actually take 6 months?

Will I need to track my diets with a pcp?

Having my age AND WEIGHT in consideration is this a good idea?

(If i fail the diets can they not let me have surgery?)

Can they decide surgery isn't for me after 6 months?

Sleeve or bypass

I really want the surgery so I'm at a loss

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It all depends on what your insurance requires.They really vary a lot. You should get a copy of the member benefit handbook or "plan document" and review them with your mother or whatever adult in your family is best at working with bureaucratic/legal type stuff. Unless, of course, you are planning to pay for the surgery yourself, in which case insurance requirements won't matter.

Once you have your insurance documents, make a few appointments with bariatric surgery centers to discuss things like insurance coverage, whether they are willing to do surgery on someone so young, and what surgery might be best for you.

I do think surgery can be an excellent option for some teens, but I don't know you so I can't say whether it is right for you. I know that surgeons when looking at surgical candidates at any age, but especially for younger people, want to find people who really understand the commitment to lifelong work, changes, and good choices. Good luck in your decision!

My insurance requires a patient be 18, but they are all very different. Best of luck to you!!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon requires patients to be 18 so you may have to shop around for a doctor that does not have that requirement

Even if your surgeon requires you to be 18 you could start the process now. You will be 18. I know for someone your age, 6 months or even a year can SEEM like an eternity. But, it will take time to prepare mentally and physically for surgery. The pre-op requirements are designed to make sure you are prepared and to put you on the best position for a safe and successful surgery.

@@fumplins Congrats on taking this step to improve your health! There's a Pediatric Bariatric Center in my State (RI) and may be in your area as well. It will most likely take 6 months - but that's not a bad thing. You can use this time to prepare yourself for living post WLS. This is not a magic wand - either Bypass or Sleeve surgery is just a tool for you to restrict portion sizes - you still have to do a lot of work and eat healthy. This is as much mental as it is physical. I strongly encourage everyone (but especially someone your age) to get counseling to work on any eating issues (boredom eating, emotional eating, mindless eating, binge eating, etc.). Many Bariatric Programs will have someone onsite to work with you. You will also have to meet with a Nutritionist. Not all Programs or insurances require you to go to your PCP for a medically supervised diet - I went to the Nutritionist at my Program. She went over how I will need to eat post surgery - and prepared me for that. 6 months will go by fast - and it's worth the wait - you'll be better prepared for living after WLS. Best of luck on your journey!!!

Here's some info on Adolescent Bariatric Surgery that may help..

http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/adolescent-bariatric-surgery.html

Just had surgery Monday. My first seminar was January then met Dr in February. Started 6 month weight management appointments in March. Looking back I remember thinking 6months that is gonna take forever, but it flies faster than you think. They may see you now depending on how close you are to turning 18. I'd say its truly worth it. I lost 40 lbs just doing the managed weight classes. Just remember it's a lifestyle change, this is just a tool to help

Sent from my 5054N using the BariatricPal App

Like others have said, first obstacle would be seeing what your insurance is willing to cover (unless you're paying cash). You can check your plan benefits and call your insurance company for their requirements. Second barrier would be what your surgeon is comfortable with. As far as the 6 mo wait is concerned, it's not always the case. My bariatric center just has testing, nutritionist, exercise therapist, psychiatric requirements that have to be met; but these can be completed asap and surgery can be scheduled 2 mo out from first visit. As far as dieting requirements, that can depend on your insurance and your surgeon's program requirements. For me, my surgeon just asked about diets I've tried and my successes and failures. As far as needing a pcp to coordinate with your surgeon, I only need a letter from my pcp saying that I'm able to have surgery. It wouldn't be a bad idea to meet with one and discuss your desire to have bariatric surgery. Good luck with everything!

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

@@Bufflehead Thank you so much for responding! I already talked to my insurance, I am eligible thankfully! I recently signed up for a seminar where I can meet and schedule with a surgeon, so fingers crossed! :)

@@Inner Surfer Girl - I am totally aware I'm impatient, I get this a lot. Thank you for your response :)

@@KristenLe - Hello thank you! In my area, there's also a pediatric surgeon. They do bariatrics on teens and even recommend it sometimes so age isn't really a bother; its just personal preference. (along the lines of dieting pre-surgery) My hospital actually has you start monitoring diets with support groups etc ( I think that's why it takes so long) so I think it should be really helpful, again thank you for your response! :)

@@nmf0318 Thank you so much! I think I'm just an antsy person so 6 months seems so gruelingly long! I'm totally fine waiting the 6 months, but if there was ever a way for it not to take so long I wanted to know if someone did, so your response is very insightful, again thank you :D

@@Bufflehead Thank you so much for responding! I already talked to my insurance, I am eligible thankfully! I recently signed up for a seminar where I can meet and schedule with a surgeon, so fingers crossed! :)

@@Inner Surfer Girl - I am totally aware I'm impatient, I get this a lot. Thank you for your response :)

@@KristenLe - Hello thank you! In my area, there's also a pediatric surgeon. They do bariatrics on teens and even recommend it sometimes so age isn't really a bother; its just personal preference. (along the lines of dieting pre-surgery) My hospital actually has you start monitoring diets with support groups etc ( I think that's why it takes so long) so I think it should be really helpful, again thank you for your response! :)

@@nmf0318 Thank you so much! I think I'm just an antsy person so 6 months seems so gruelingly long! I'm totally fine waiting the 6 months, but if there was ever a way for it not to take so long I wanted to know if someone did, so your response is very insightful, again thank you :D

Congrats at making the choice to improve your way of life. I actually know someone that had the surgery at 12 bcuz she was close to the 400's. She is has maintained a healthy weight since. I fully understand not wanting to wait the 6 months. I was feeling the same way. I've done diets and worked out and lost a lot of weihht. But what I found out on this 6 month journey is that I've been learning new things I didn't know before. I think the 6 months is needed so that you can learn all the healthy eating habits and life style changes you will need. Just push your self to do everything you need to get it done. I wish I had the courage to make the choice you are a long time ago. I just finished the apts I am waiting for my final apt before the surgery. I will be more than happy to answer any of your questions. And we can exchange ideas. Good luck on your journey you got this.

@@fumplins I wanted to say a couple more things. First, I'm really impressed with your intelligence, thoughtfulness, and ability to communicate clearly and effectively. I teach at the doctoral level and I would be delighted to have you in my classes and read your writing. You'll do well in college and "be someone" with or without surgery -- though I fully endorse living as a slim and healthy person as opposed to an obese and (eventually) unhealthy person. My life has improved dramatically since losing 200+ lbs.

Second, I know you are getting a lot of support from your family, but start thinking (if you aren't already) about how they can support your future healthy eating habits. Chances are very very high that you did not get to over 400 lbs as a teenager without significant assistance from your family, in the foods they buy and prepare and serve to you, or give you money to purchase unhealthy foods, or just model unhealthy eating behaviors. How much will need to change in your household? If they aren't going to change their own eating and food habits, will you be able to get healthy foods on your own to eat? Similarly, if you are going to be living away from home at college, make a plan for how to eat healthy at college dining halls or while cooking your own food in an apartment, whichever will apply.

I'm not saying any of this to discourage you at all! Just so that you can start assessing your current and future situations with a very critical eye and making plans to deal with them as you move forward.