Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetes...lower A1C post-op anyone?

Hello, fellow diabetic people! I'm very curious to know how your numbers have improved since surgery (especially VSG). My surgeon said that gastric bypass has a higher rate of improvement for diabetes, but I don't want to rearrange my internal organs. My most recent A1C was 8.4 ( !!!) and my daily blood sugar readings gave been in the 200's...too high. I just had my meds increased, but I need to watch my sugar and other carbs...it's so hard sometimes! I think I'm really afraid of low blood sugar, but these high numbers are not good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

As a 63 years old diabetic I was on a boatload of pills and 55 units of insulin for the 10 years prior to sleeve. Off all meds with an a1c of 5.6 by 6 months post op. I will be 2 years out in December and continue to maintain through diet and exercise only.

BTW my endocrinologist says I am not cured but remain a diabetic. He says I am "in remission" but will need to be careful since I will always be at risk of relapse.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

As a 63 years old diabetic I was on a boatload of pills and 55 units of insulin for the 10 years prior to sleeve. Off all meds with an a1c of 5.6 by 6 months post op. I will be 2 years out in December and continue to maintain through diet and exercise only.

BTW my endocrinologist says I am not cured but remain a diabetic. He says I am "in remission" but will need to be careful since I will always be at risk of relapse.

Wow...5.6 A1C in 6 months...that's awesome! What was your A1C when you started? I heard that it's more of a remission than a cure, but it's better than having my sugars so high.

I had the sleeve. Off metformin 3 days before surgery. 6 month A 1 c was 5.4. And in my case diabetes has been removed from my medical record as a health concern.

I hear once a diabetic always diabetic. No matter, I am off Metformin, my A1c went from 8 to 5, my husband has been diabetic 30 plus years, and he is off insulin at night, and his A1c is also great. In three years I have not called Rescue once for a 40 blood sugar with an unconscious husband. There is no fear like the fear every time I called Rescue. Thank you Mr. sleeve.

I hear once a diabetic always diabetic. No matter, I am off Metformin, my A1c went from 8 to 5, my husband has been diabetic 30 plus years, and he is off insulin at night, and his A1c is also great. In three years I have not called Rescue once for a 40 blood sugar with an unconscious husband. There is no fear like the fear every time I called Rescue. Thank you Mr. sleeve.

That's great! How long did it take tou to go from 8 to 5?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you for all your responses!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BariatricPal mobile app

GinaBee, the A1c dropped steadily as we dropped the weight. At 3 years it is stabilized. We both came off Metformin immediately, then my husbands Doctor kept adjusting. The insulin to a lower dose.

diabetes removed from medical record as a health concern.

@@ginabee38

no meds shortly after sleeve 5 years ago

A1C last month, was 5.1 !!!

doc also says i will always be "considered" diabetic

even though i'm fine without meds

controlled with food/diet

there are benefits saying you are diabetic!!! (in remission)

sounds crazy i know

my insurance pays for certain things

wouldn't usually be covered

podiatrist - i get my toenails clipped for free

no pedicure though sob sob

he checks for neuropothy (msp)

i get one pair of free shoes yearly

(they know you could have corns, hammer nails)

bunions (had those on occasion :mellow:)

i'm also able to go to optometrist for yearly check-ups

(blindness etc can happen being diabetic)

sooooo, guess you can look/find good in the bad

the sicker we are/more co-morbidities we have

the easier it is for insurance to approve us :blink:

more is more!! (hmmmm)

life can be so strange

sorry i went off on a tangent

ooooops - almost forgot

i get a new Ford Focus every 3 years because i'm diabetic!! :)

nawwww, but it would be cool LOL

kathy

Wow...5.6 A1C in 6 months...that's awesome! What was your A1C when you started? I heard that it's more of a remission than a cure, but it's better than having my sugars so high.

My A1C as a diabetic was 8+ with meds... could never seem to get it much below 7. The sleeve has been such a blessing. Not only am I off all diabetes medications but at 8 months post op I went for a follow up sleep study and was able to get off by CPAP machine, as well. Life is good!

diabetes removed from medical record as a health concern.

@@ginabee38

no meds shortly after sleeve 5 years ago

A1C last month, was 5.1 !!!

doc also says i will always be "considered" diabetic

even though i'm fine without meds

controlled with food/diet

there are benefits saying you are diabetic!!! (in remission)

sounds crazy i know

my insurance pays for certain things

wouldn't usually be covered

podiatrist - i get my toenails clipped for free

no pedicure though sob sob

he checks for neuropothy (msp)

i get one pair of free shoes yearly

(they know you could have corns, hammer nails)

bunions (had those on occasion :mellow:)

i'm also able to go to optometrist for yearly check-ups

(blindness etc can happen being diabetic)

sooooo, guess you can look/find good in the bad

the sicker we are/more co-morbidities we have

the easier it is for insurance to approve us :blink:

more is more!! (hmmmm)

life can be so strange

sorry i went off on a tangent

ooooops - almost forgot

i get a new Ford Focus every 3 years because i'm diabetic!! :)

nawwww, but it would be cool LOL

kathy

Ha! You almost got me with a new Ford Focus every three years! I thought "Now wait a minute..."