Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HOW DO YOU KEEP A SCHEDULE OF FOOD, VITAMINS, AND MEDICATION?

I am having gastric bypass surgery on Oct. 3. There are so many times to keep up with such as drinking Water and eating, I cannot figure out how to get in all the Vitamins plus the medications I was on before surgery.

Will the hospital give me a schedule before I am discharged or do I have to work it out myself?

Any and all suggestions will be welcomed, I am in a panic. Thanks.

I am having gastric bypass surgery on Oct. 3. There are so many times to keep up with such as drinking Water and eating, I cannot figure out how to get in all the Vitamins plus the medications I was on before surgery.

Will the hospital give me a schedule before I am discharged or do I have to work it out myself?

Trial and error. The hospital gave me nothing, I had meal/snack time guidelines from my nut. For meds, I take 15 pills - I group them into 4 piles and use a pill cutter. Morning, lunch, mid afternoon, and then before bed. They will fill you up. To stay on track, I use Outlook calendar recurring appointments.

Sent from my SM-T550 using the BariatricPal App

It is important to put a 2 hour separation between the Vitamins that contain Iron and those that contain Calcium. So in my case I found that what works best for me is to take the Iron supplements just before bedtime. I put my Vitamins in a weekly pill container. I have one container for the morning and one for the night. And I use a very small glass bowel for my Calcium supplements. I put my calciums in the bowl in the morning and take them throughout the day. If I am up and about I put my calciums in a ziplock bag and carry them with me.

After surgery I discovered that I could no longer swallow medium to large pills. So I used pill splitters and pill crushers. This condition lasted for about 2 months and then things returned back to normal.

Vitamin chemistry is important for absorption. Calcium supplements should be calcium citrate. B12 supplements should be sublingual methylcobalamin. Iron supplements should be ferrous sulfate (if you need to take them). gummy vitamins are not absorbed properly and should be avoided.

I was taking medicine for my diabetes and high blood pressure prior to surgery. When I left the hospital I was off all my diabetes medicine and then a couple weeks later I was off all my high blood pressure meds. So essentially, I did not have a problem with taking meds because I was no longer taking meds.

I just had RNY on September 26th, and all went great but it is so hard to get all liquids and Protein in this first week. I literally wake up at 6am to start and it takes me till 10 or 11pm and is extremely exhausting. I'm sure it will get easier but I just want to take a nap and that screws my whole schedule. But I am happy I had the surgery.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon's office gave me a suggested Vitamin schedule. If it is confusing, it can help to get out a pen and paper, write everything down, and come up with a schedule that works for you.

Early out, I was sipping something all the time in order to reach my Protein and Fluid targets.

I just had RNY on September 26th, and all went great but it is so hard to get all liquids and Protein in this first week. I literally wake up at 6am to start and it takes me till 10 or 11pm and is extremely exhausting. I'm sure it will get easier but I just want to take a nap and that screws my whole schedule. But I am happy I had the surgery.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

I had y RNY on Sept 28th and I'm having the same problems. I'm sure it will get better. Good luck to you!

I had RNY on September 26th. I wake up at 7 am to ensure my pills are properly spaced out. I use reminders on an app called Bariatric. I have found it helps a lot.

Sent from my LGMS428 using the BariatricPal App

Baritastic app. I set it for Vitamins only bc I'm in a rhythm w my Fluid and food. I don't need a reminder to take each Vitamin either but every once in a while i will get a notification and remember I haven't had my Vitamins today.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by sc101071