Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad taste in mouth along w/ decreased smell- don't want to eat

Hi all

I had gastric bypass & hiatal hernia surgery in June . Not long after I got home and started eating again I had painful symptoms and an endoscopy revealed a large stomach ulcer. Ever since the bypass I have had a severe decrease in the ability to smell and a bad taste in my mouth. I cannot taste food. For weeks I could not taste anything and now food I eat tastes just like the awful taste that lives in my mouth. I am having trouble eating anything because everything tastes bad accept fruit. I am only averaging about 700-800 calories a day and that is with concerted effort. When I first start to eat the bad taste is so bad that I feel nauseous. Anyone else have trouble with a persistent bad taste (not a metallic taste that I can discern although its hard to tell since I cannot taste much of anything else), not being able to taste food and having a decreased sense of smell? I am sort of happy that I cannot smell or taste food because it's another mechanism that will keep me from overeating but now the bad taste is overpowering and making me miserable.

I had this same bad taste and loss of smell when i was sleeved in 2013. It seemed like it lasted forever, but it lasted about 6 to 7 months after my surgery. Longest 6 months of my life! I literally had to force myself to eat anything..and when i did i became nauseous. I PROMISE you that this goes away. Your body is just trying to get used to this huge change you have made and alot of your bodies chemistry will change with it. Some foods that you loved before will taste different than they did before surgery. My taste buds seemed to completely change. You just have to make sure you are getting the nutrition you need and the Protein you need along with not getting dehydrated

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I suspect that this is a side effect of ketosis. A high-Protein, low-carb diet can put your body into ketosis -- a state where your body is burning fat instead of glucose for energy. When you limit your carb intake, your body has to use stored fat for energy, which can be a way to lose a pounds. When your body burns fat, by-products called ketones are released. You'll expel most of them in urine and perspiration, but some will be expelled in your breath -- and ketones don't smell good. There are two phases after surgery. These are called the "Weight Loss" phase and the "Maintenance" phase. As your weight loss comes to an end and you slide into the "Maintenance" phase, I suspect that this problem will ease up significantly. I had RNY gastric bypass over 3 years ago. I transitioned into the "Maintenance" phase at around the 7th month.

I could never smell my bad breath during this stage, but my wife did. She said I smelled like death itself. So maybe your inability to smell, might actually be a good thing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• markhold

One faithful day as i was watching a video on you tube i saw a  comment of one MR PAUL HAVERSACK testifying of this great herbal healer doctor Moses Buba,That helped him enlarge his manhood .i was shocked and happy, so i quickly visited his website and emailed him within 30 mins he got back to me and told me all i need to buy and i did so after 4 days i received his herbal medicine ,he gave me instructions on how to use it ,as i am speaking to you people now after using the cream for just two weeks my manhood  size is 10 inches long and 8.0 girth ,,am so happy and grateful for his work in my life thank you so much Doctor Moses buba ,,i also learnt he has cure for LOW SPERM COUNT,PREMATURE EJACULATION,ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION,HIV/AIDS VIRUS,DIABETES 1/2,HERPES DISEASE,CANCER,and lots more

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • markhold

One faithful day as i was watching a video on you tube i saw a  comment of one MR PAUL HAVERSACK testifying of this great herbal healer doctor Moses Buba,That helped him enlarge his manhood .i was shocked and happy, so i quickly visited his website and emailed him within 30 mins he got back to me and told me all i need to buy and i did so after 4 days i received his herbal medicine ,he gave me instructions on how to use it ,as i am speaking to you people now after using the cream for just two weeks my manhood  size is 10 inches long and 8.0 girth ,,am so happy and grateful for his work in my life thank you so much Doctor Moses buba ,,i also learnt he has cure for LOW SPERM COUNT,PREMATURE EJACULATION,ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION,HIV/AIDS VIRUS,DIABETES 1/2,HERPES DISEASE,CANCER,and lots more

· 0 replies
    • markhold

· 0 replies
    • Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches