Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much can you eat?

I searched this topic but answers were a bit sporadic. Hoping for some insight.

How much could you eat at 3 months, 6 months, 12 months etc?

I know in the early months it's like half a cup and I know it depends on what food you're eating, but I also know this increases over time. So roughly, how big is/was your portion size for most main meals at 3,6,12 months etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

3 months 2-3 ounces depending.

6 months, 4 ounces

12-14 months 4-7 ounces

I can basically eat double to triple what I could right after surgery. Things that were not sliders like Protein bars, turned into sliders as I healed. I can eat 3 cups of salad greens. I can chug Water at almost pre-op levels.

If you watched me eat in public, you would never know I had surgery.

At three months I was still on soft foods and could eat about 1.5 oz of dense Protein or 2 ounces of very soft food like yogurt. I remember going out to dinner and ate one medium-large sized scallop and could not take another bite.

At six months I could eat about 2 ounces of dense protein such as chicken breast or turkey burger, Maybe 2.5 ounces of slightly moister meat such as grilled salmon.

At a year out I could eat 3 ounces of dense protein.

At 3+ years out I can eat 3 ounces of dense protein + 1.5 oz green veggies.

High carb slider foods I can eat almost unlimited amounts, which is why I try very hard to just avoid them and not start -- because there is almost no stopping point. You cannot count on this surgery to restrict how many Cookies or crackers you can eat -- at least not for long. Some people do keep that type of restriction, but many don't -- so don't count on it to keep you in line after the first several months.

Edited by Bufflehead

3months...1/4 cup to 1/2cup, up to 800cal

6months...1/2cup to 3/4 cup, up to1000 cal

12months..3/4cup to 1cup, up to 1200 cal

That's what my dr says I should focus on. The 1200cal is what I should stay with to maintain. But everyone's drs seem to differ

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

I went to Tijuana, Mexico.surgedy date was May 18, 2016. I can eat 1 cup of food at a time..what is a slider food anyway ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using the BariatricPal App

@@ttnurse slider foods are those that are high carb, usually processed foods. They are digested so quickly that they pass out of your stomach without really engaging the pyloric valve, so you can eat large amounts of them. What constitutes a "slider" will vary a bit from person to person, and the whole concept doesn't really come into play until several weeks or even months after surgery, when your post-op swelling inside your stomach has completely gone down.

Examples of foods that many people find to be sliders are potato chips, crackers, Cookies, popcorn, cake, quick bread type items including muffins, popcorn, Protein Bars, and candy. There are other items like ice cream or milkshakes that just by their nature you could also eat/drink a lot of if you chose to.