Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you wish someone had told you BEFORE your surgery?

I also had the shoulder pain from gas, but I was prepared for that.

What I wasn't prepared for was when I overate/ate too fast, I also experienced shoulder pain, but much more intense in my muscles. It seems that the gas or full feeling somehow gets displaced and settles into your muscle tissue causing extreme muscle pain. The first time I experienced this, I suffered for 2 weeks. I went for a massage, thinking that would help, but the pain came back just hours afterwards, probably because I wasn't able to get enough fluids in to wash away the toxins that were released from the massage.

At 5.5 weeks out, I still occasionally have a little muscle pain, but probably happens when I am not getting enough Protein or fluids. I'm good, though, as long as I eat slowly and stop before I'm full.

Oh, and another thing... at first, I would try to eat a certain amount of Protein (say 2 oz.) so that I could stay on track with my Protein goals, and this was a major part of the reason I would overeat and have pain.

Some days you won't get to your protein goal, and there's really not much you can do about it. The sleeve only allows what it allows. Don't beat yourself up over it, and it's not worth the pain of trying and overeating!

To start saving money for new clothes, I mean everything...shoes, underwear, bras, coats, bathing suits, all new and very expensive and the need for new clothes will come faster then you think.

The pain after surgery, it was intense, but goes away fairly quickly. I was not prepared for that.

That reaching your Protein goals will come with time. I thought I was a failure straight off the bat because I was not able to reach my goals. Do what you can and you will eventually get there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

Fibro Folks: :)

The over active nerves that are the cause of Fibromyalgia pain and fatigue can certainly be "aggravated" by cutting into one's skin and being NPO from one's fibro meds prior to surgery.

My advice? Just don't wait until your fibro pain and fatigue "control you". Be sure that your surgical team and as well as recovery room and hospital staff are aware of your fibromyalgia----yes, you may have to keep reminding staff as the shifts change. Keep ahead of the pain/fatigue. It is much easier to tolerate if one can keep the pain/fatigue at bay instead of waiting until it becomes unbearable before asking for medication.

Do NOT try to "be brave". Ask for pain medication when you are "uncomfortable--because if you have fibro, you KNOW how bad it can get. Stop the pain before it becomes your only focus-before the devastating fatigue sets in. You need to be able to concentrate on getting your fluids in and walking.

I am by no means a medical professional and my advice is not to be taken as such. I simply want to share my experience with WLS and Fibromyalgia.

It's well worth preparing for and wrapping you head around the possibility.

Best wishes for you having a joyful journey! :)

I hope my experience and observations have helped.

Hi I'm new pre surgery I don't have my date yet but I need support I'm having the DS surgery done.

To start saving money for new clothes, I mean everything...shoes, underwear, bras, coats, bathing suits, all new and very expensive and the need for new clothes will come faster then you think.

The pain after surgery, it was intense, but goes away fairly quickly. I was not prepared for that.

That reaching your Protein goals will come with time. I thought I was a failure straight off the bat because I was not able to reach my goals. Do what you can and you will eventually get there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

No, no, no...You need to find the best consignment shops and thrift stores for the transition. Do NOT invest in new clothes until you hit a new normal. I went from a 46" waist to 36" that's a lot of pant sizes.

And then find a place that will buy your nice plus size clothes. They exist.

The fact that I never have to look at the calorie count of anything again.

That I would probably suffer lactose intolerance for the first year.

I agree with @@OKCPirate, start with thrift stores, second hand or whatever your town offers. I have become a regular customer of Goodwill, in fact, that is my new addiction! I have found so many good, barely worn brands of clothing. Everything from Coldwater Creek, Old Navy to Chico's and more! It's an inexpensive way to move through ever changing sizes.

I have never paid more than $4.99 for anything, and it's a good day when you find something you like and the tag corresponds to the color that is 50% off for that day!

Edited by Montana Gal

Had severe reflux and gerd from Band. After RNY reflux gone.

The anticipation of pain and complications is much worse than the procedure. Just be prepared to follow the rules. Best of luck

Wow, this is a heavy question that I haven't asked myself as many times has I have until the last couple months. I had the Roux-en-y when I was 16 years old and now 28. I was 301 pounds and now down to 138. I have 3 beautiful little girls, great husband, job, and home that I probably wouldn't be fortunate to call mine now.... However, as years have gone by issues have come up, became worse, and have me feeling depleted. Which doesn't work well, with having kids between 7years and 8 months and needing their mommies attention as soon as I get home from work. Without giving all the gruesome details. Here are few 5 things I also agree with other comments and my personal things I have learned.

1) Yes...The pain sucks when you wake up! But it doesn't last long and remember how exciting it will be when you loose your first 10, 20, 30+ pounds will be!!!!

2) Clothes- start picking up little deals/sales here and there when you can find them. Utilize thrift shops/consignment shops when able. You will loose fast, depending on what type of job/daily wear you need, you will want to grab stuff as soon as you can until you hit your plautue/goal weight. Then that's when the REAL shopping begins! ;)

3) Don't set a goal weight/size :) meaning, don't put pressure on yourself to get to a certain weight/#. Let your body guide your results, as long as you are going down a healthy path.

4) No sodas! NO SUGARY DRINKS! Don't replace foods with liquids that fill you up with heavy sugar/carbonated fillers. I am lucky enough to say, I can partake in them know a couple times a week (coffee/Fraps are my fav) but that's because I didn't drink them for the first 2 almost 3 years.

5) Lastly and most importantly... LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! Give your body what it needs first and foremost. Meaning foods, Vitamins, and nutrients that can be absorbed the most efficiently for you (liquid, patch, injection, or capsules) please, be sure to give your body what it needs first and your body will return the favor in giving and maintains better/successful results.

Sorry for the lengthy message. Overall, I wish you and your journey the best of luck!

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

@Meagan88. I agree 100%

I wish someone had shared with me that having Fibromyalgia might/would make any nerve pain extremely intense and different from regular surgical pain.

If I had known that, I would have been able to wrap my head around the possibility and not just be blind sided.

If you don't have Fibro, I would just say "roll with it". Especially we women who have given birth. Try to relax and breath through the pain. It really does help.

AND

DON'T WORRY. You got this!!!! We are all here rooting and praying (if you'd like) for you.

What did u experience with fibro I have had fibromyalgia for 15 years and I will be have rny

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I wish someone had shared with me that having Fibromyalgia might/would make any nerve pain extremely intense and different from regular surgical pain.

If I had known that, I would have been able to wrap my head around the possibility and not just be blind sided.

If you don't have Fibro, I would just say "roll with it". Especially we women who have given birth. Try to relax and breath through the pain. It really does help.

AND

DON'T WORRY. You got this!!!! We are all here rooting and praying (if you'd like) for you.

What did u experience with fibro I have had fibromyalgia for 15 years and I will be have rny

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My experience having fibro is that as soon as the Celebrex (nsaid) went away, pain shoots way up. This started 2 weeks before surgery for me. After surgery, my limbs go numb a lot easier. I haven't experienced the right shoulder pain some talk about, but I get more shoulder numbness/tingling than I did pre-surgery.

Whatever meds you take, be prepared that they won't go down easily. Switch to liquid or dissolving if possible. I was full on nothing but my meds the first few days.

Since my calories are so low, and body is healing, fatigue has shot way up. I have endometriosis which doesn't help as it has totally whacked out.

I also have endo which has gone HAY WIRE.

This might be the thing that makes me the most nervous. I have a hard time with my endometriosis 'episodes' as it is, I can't imagine them getting much worse.