Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery was on 5/16/16 also had a hernia repair at the same time and I did not have a drain...........Only your surgeon will be able to answer this question for you.....I think most don't, but some do... Good luck with your surgery!!! :-)

No drain here! Ask your surgeon!

Working beyond grief for a better life!

I had the sleeve AND a hernia repair and didn't have a drain. It's really individual to the surgeon.

Check with your program, it really depends. My nurse cousin told me "surgeons love their drains". I was sleeved 9/19 and sent home with the JP drain and I despise it! I think it's starting to hinder my recovery as I'm finding it more difficult to sleep comfortably. It sucks and it's not coming out till Weds.

Having said that, I do wonder if I didn't have the drain where all this Fluid would go - I know the majority of people on here don't get one though.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon uses a drain but they remove it before you go home. He says it speeds recovery. I have noticed that he lets people progress to pureed and soft foods faster than most people here do. Honestly I am happy about that so I will endure the drain. He also only does a three day pre op diet. Some people don't do any. They are all so different.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the BariatricPal App

Edited by laceemouse

@@laceemouse my doc requires 10 days low fat, and 4 days liquid. You progress quickly to puréed too. Thankful for these things too!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

That doesn't sound too bad, I think I would pass out if I had to do 2 weeks of liquid pre-op and then continue on with several weeks of liquid after surgery. My surgeon says too many people cheat with the 2 week pre-op (I know most people here don't) Honestly one of the reasons I chose him is because he said "3 days of pre-op starvation is enough".

And I don't work outside the home, I can't imagine having the energy to go back to work after weeks of no food!

Edited by laceemouse

It depends on the surgeon. I did have one, but the nurse took it out before I went home. It did hurt while she was pulling it out. It's like a weird feeling. However, she told me to breath in before then breath out while she was pulling it and I think that made a huge difference and helped a lot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Thank you...Definitely asking my Surgeon!!

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

That is always the best way to go. ASK questions from your team and be knowledgeable about everything before you go in for surgery. Know what is going to happen. Possible outcomes good and bad. Be prepared for anything. Except any possible outcome before you agree to let WLS happen to you. It is your life your body. You are your own champion no one else will do it for you.