Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol causes pregnancy? Really? Well gosh, i never knew that. If that's the case, I'd have popped out a dozen kids before finishing college. Does the surgeon know what this goofball is telling his/her patients?

I do know that alcohol is generally a bad idea post-surgery (at least with the bypass, not sure about the sleeve) primarily because we all become really cheap dates as it doesn't take much to be sick from alcohol. I had a bypass 12-something years ago and had to have it taken down (long story for another thread), which is how i know this. I will not be finding out with the sleeve because i no longer drink anyway.

Alcohol causes pregnancy....snort!...

I apply a different tool. Your diet/nutrition is what works best for you.They (doctors, nuts, dietitians) work for me, but they give me guidelines and I make choices thru trial and error. If you want to eat steak then eat steak. What's the worst case scenario? Will your head explode? Will you find that it's ok to eat steak again-in your own tested way. The he said she said doesn't help. You made the choice, had the surgery, and sounds like you've gotten thru the hard part. Now continue with being in charge of your diet and experiment to find what works best for you instead of broad based format diet "guidelines"

that work generically.

I apply a different tool. Your diet/nutrition is what works best for you.They (doctors, nuts, dietitians) work for me, but they give me guidelines and I make choices thru trial and error. If you want to eat steak then eat steak. What's the worst case scenario? Will your head explode? Will you find that it's ok to eat steak again-in your own tested way. The he said she said doesn't help. You made the choice, had the surgery, and sounds like you've gotten thru the hard part. Now continue with being in charge of your diet and experiment to find what works best for you instead of broad based format diet "guidelines"

that work generically.

I wish I could believe like you do, but that kind of thinking got me to almost 300lbs.

No the worst case scenario isn't that my head will explode, it's that I will wind up back there again.

that work generically.

Oh wait, you fired your surgeon five weeks out because his assistant suggested eating less Pasta and more Protein and veggies. I guess you do know best.

that work generically.

I wish I could believe like you do, but that kind of thinking got me to almost 300lbs.

No the worst case scenario isn't that my head will explode, it's that I will wind up back there again.

Yep, couldnt agree with you more, Jess9395. That is exactly my worst case scenario...and I'm avoiding it by giving a LOT of consideration to 'broad based format diet guidelines' instead of having this surgery then heading off merrily trusting my own instincts. Those instincts got me to 262 lbs.

My NUT was an ass. I saw her twice because I had to and NEVER AGAIN. She worked really hard at showing me plastic food on a portion plate -- something any WWs vet could have done blindfolded and then spent the rest of our time hawking her MLM Vitamins. I'm fairly certain the hospital she housed in would have frowned on that.

She was going on personal experience with diet 100% IMO and she was definitely one of those people who has struggled with being too skinny her whole life so had no knowledge of the struggles of a fatty.

I sat with her, smiled and nodded, because I had to. She sucked. BAD.

My nut was very overweight and I had a hard time absorbing any info from her . I am just strictly following my surgeons rules . Unfortunately I am only allowed to see the nut 3 times a year with my insurance . But they paid for my sleeve 100% Go figure ......

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My nut was very overweight and I had a hard time absorbing any info from her . I am just strictly following my surgeons rules . Unfortunately I am only allowed to see the nut 3 times a year with my insurance . But they paid for my sleeve 100% Go figure ......

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My first bariatric surgeon looked about 14 months pregnant. My first consultation was in November and he was OK. My second was in December and he warned me about holiday weight gain. (DUH!!) My third was in January and I was appalled that he went from 14 months pregnant to about 19 months. I, in turn, had lost 2 pounds. He had the AUDACITY to tell me that I clearly ate crap all holiday. I told him he clearly ate an elephant.

It was our last appointment.

The NUT I had to see wasn't in the same practice as my surgeon. She didn't know what the surgeon's diet progression was, nor did she know what the surgeon's pre-op diet was. She gave me printouts of the standard 1,200 and 1,500 cal exchange diet. You know, the one we all started with in the 80's that hasn't changed a bit? She wanted me to get blood testing to show what foods I should be eating (to the tune of about $400) and wanted me to go on a low FODMAP plan. She went on and on at length about how I could "cure" my auto-immune arthritis with supplements that conflict with my treatment medications, and with an eating plan that has no scientific evidence behind it.

NUTs aren't regulated in my state, there's no licensure or required certification. I could hang a shingle and call myself a nutritionist (though I think the state nursing board would have an issue). I repeat my statement that I have yet to meet one worth the oxygen. Every single one I've met had bought into one fad or another and several have given really bad nutritional advice.

Registered dieticians are another group altogether, but I wasn't given an option to meet with an RD.

that work generically.

Guidelines are what reduces complications including possible death! This isn't a trial and error kind of thing (for several weeks anyway). Eat steak - what's the worst case scenario?? Umm...blockage, leak, infection, death, failure...

that work generically.

Guidelines are what reduces complications including possible death! This isn't a trial and error kind of thing (for several weeks anyway). Eat steak - what's the worst case scenario?? Umm...blockage, leak, infection, death, failure...

Oh, are we talking about eating choices BEFORE being cleared for a full diet? I think I lost track in the thread. I NEVER suggest rushing the diet advancement plan from your doc. I've heard some that I think are absolutely nuts, like zero Protein allowed for 2 weeks, but bottom line is that your surgeon is the one you've put your trust in for this surgery, follow their plan for advancing the diet, period. They have reasons for setting that. Now, once you're cleared to a full diet, I think that a cookie cutter approach isn't the best.

ETA: But I will also say that it's a good idea to at least START with what your surgeon/team is recommending for a diet plan, and if it doesn't work, start researching and modifying from there. I've done extensive dieting over the years, and know from extensive experience that ketogenic diets make me very ill. I couldn't stay out of ketosis while on liquid and soft foods, and the experience just reinforced what I already knew. I will still refrain from simple carbs and sugars, and emphasize the Protein in my diet, but I have to have 70+ carbs a day or I get very sick. That's what *my* body needs. Incidentally, I made sure my surgeon/team was on board with that before I chose them for my surgery. I didn't want to be fighting my team if they were going to be pushing a different program.

Edited by theantichick

I asked the program nutritionist like 3 questions, she revealed herself as a twit. Never went back to her.

You can lose weight without a nutritionist.

@@Barry W

Humans have no bioligical need for carbs.

There are a lot of anti-carb evangelists out there. As to carbs being of zero biological value (and only being a negative), I would direct people to look at research articles looking at epidemiological findings of diet components of whole grains. For example, this one entitled "Consumption of whole grains and Cereal Fiber and total and cause-specific mortality: prospective analysis of 367,442 individuals".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4371798/

...which states "Consumption of whole grains were inversely associated with risk of all-cause mortality"... you will find similar findings from MD/PhD Walter Willett of Harvard, who manages the large multi-decade Nurses Health Study.

All carbs are not alike. Those foods containing substantial nutrients and Fiber with them can be beneficial. Not saying you should eat HUGE amounts of multigrain bread, fruit or legumes - all healthy carb-containing foods, but studies show that in moderate amounts, they are beneficial. People can do whatever they like, but my opinion on carbs is that one should not throw the baby out with the bathwater.