Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to fly! Tampa to Mexico

I know it is ridiculous to be more concerned with the flight than with the surgery, but honestly, the lap-band procedure is a no brainer. I would do it right now if Dr. Ortiz walked into my office with a scalpel. My problem is that I am so anxious over the flight from Tampa Florida to San Diego. Let's face it, flying fat is torture! I am not looking forward to the looks of contempt on the passengers faces, the teeney tiny seats, the long flight, the changeover with only food to console my anxiety and the pain of trying to be comfortable on the plane for endless hours with no place to rest your arms except on your bulging belly, while seated next to the thin lady who is comfortably crossing her legs and enjoying a magazine and light meal with all the space in front of her.

Has anyone gone to San Diego from Tampa Florida or somewhere similar? How long was the flight? How tortorous? How hard was it to get comfy on the way back when you were recovering? Was it pure Hell? HELP! Thanks...

Hi

I have flown from NJ to cali recently (7 hour flight) and yes the seat belt was barely able to click but that was the worst of the flight. just make sure you have some music and or magazines and books to try and keep yourself occupied. Just keep reminding yourself what is going to be on the other side of the flight - a new you! good luck on your adventure and just keep thinking that you are getting closer and closer to your band!

I flew from Kentucky to Monterrey Mexico and it was only about 2 1/2 hours to Houston and then one hour to Monterrey. I was 5'8" and 280 and no problems whatsoever with the seatbelt, I had plenty of room. It was my very first flight and I loved it and am an avid flier now. I look for places to go just to fly there, lol. You'll do great.

Hugs,

Sherri

It will be a day of traveling for you. I'm in Tampa too! Rejoice in the fact that this will probably the last trip you have to squeeze into an airplane seat!

Someone, earlier this year, commented on a seatbelt extender that she got and took with her, so that if there was a problem with the airplanes belts fitting, she could ( and did) use it without making any sort of fuss or embarrassment. I thought that was a neat idea and very empowering.

I flew from Montana, to Salt Lake City, to Guadalhara and back to Monterray Mexico...12 hours. Not the best, but not bad either. I fit in all their seat belts. On the trip home....first flight by small plane from Monterray back to Guadalahara and could barely get the best fastened. I struggled. I was sooo upset..tired, wore out from the surgery (missing my husband and hand holding...I went all on my own) and knew I had lost weight on the days of the surgery...blah blah. I got it done and sat their. My biggest problem was that almost immediately after the surgery, I was cold. And there were no blankies on that plane.

But...I would absolutely do it all over again. Nothing was that bad. Just a nuisance. Today, I'd fit in the seat comfortably and have no problem with the belts...8 months later!!

If you're worried about being uncomfortable..think about upgrading your seat to first class. You decide if it is worth it. Best of luck. The band is GREAT.

Shawn

Hi Noah's Mom,

I have asked many times in the past for seat belt extensions and I have never had a flight attendent make me feel embarassed, they have always been great about it.

I usually take a gravel (dramine) for flights over 7 hours and that works great. Good luck, you can do this!!!

I've flown from LAX to orlando, the flight was about 5 hours or so, I think.

Some things that might make it easier...

Your first choice is to check in online before the flight and look at the seating chart.. You want to find a row of seats where one person is already sitting in the aisle OR window, and then take the aisle/window seat available in that row... people are less likely to sit in the middle between strangers if they have a choice, that way you can have an extra seat in between you and a stranger.

Second choice - EXIT row!! much spacier! Some airlines are charging a small surcharge fee for this row now (like 20 bucks), but not all. Some airlines you can choose this row on-line, other airlines you have to request it at the airport.

Third choice - might not be feasible, but one time I was flying somewhere and I bought an extra ticket and had this imaginary person check-in and seated next to me on the plane so I could have more space. (the ticket was only 90$ extra so it was worth it)

For the plane ride home - I can't help you there as I didn't have to face that problem, but I would suggest taking the medication they prescribe you (i'm assuming they give you some - but not sure). I had tylenol with codeine after the surgery, and I think I could have slept through anything after taking a swig of that!

I know how you feel about the plane ride- but don't worry! You'll get through this and it will all be worth it!! Goodluck!

Great ideas!

Noah's Mom greetings! I am a recovering claustrophobic who still has panic disorder. I can recommend that you ask your doctor for a sedative, I take Klonzipam, starting a few days before your flight. ( you may not need it but I'm assuming you are like me and might hide in the bathroom vomiting for an hour like me)

Give yourself a treat for arriving to the airport. The bookstore/gift shop just before the shuttle to gateside has some neat stuff and there are also several shops at gateside.

Break up the flight into increments. Home to the airport=reward,

to flightside=reward.

I can recommend going over to the security check to the left rather than the line. I found I simply couldn't stand that long without pain ( I am 300 + )

You can also get a wheelchair at the front of the airport and instead of having to walk the entire way, you can be pushed through security (you will have to stand, take off shoes, etc.,)

but will then be pushed to your gate and will be first on and when you get to California, last off.

As you pass by the flight attendant, ask for a seat extender, they are in the first overhead compartment that they use for supplies.

(my sister is a flight attendant)

In the air, I take a camera and photograph the sky. It's just so awesome, absolutely amazing...all the clouds, the colors, fascinating. If you have a digital camera, all the better.

Burn a CD of your favorite music or take your favorite CD. My CD had 1 hour worth of tunes and I also had loaded the MP3 player with music.

Things to remember: Statistically, you have a greater chance of getting struck by lightning than being in a plane crash.

Statistically, more accidents happen within three miles of your own home than anywhere else.

Hyperventilating from anxiety does not mean you are "gonna die" and in fact, if you are breathing you are very much alive.

Pick up a favorite magazine and read it over the second half of the flight.

Take a nap.

Enjoy a glass of wine. It helps you to relax.

Depending on your airline, you might be lucky and have a screen in front of you to watch a movie.

Best of luck. I want to share one last thing Noah's Mom, I had my surgery in Denver! So I flew from TIA four hours to Denver with a one hour layover in Atlanta for my surgery. I go back to Denver for fills and am going back in October. My reward is seeing parts of the country I otherwise wouldn't be seeing (one of the rare positive aspects of being obese...the Lap Banding). I almost went to Mexico (where I am told the accomidations are great) but went to Denver instead. Check out the shopping there.

Flying home was a breeze. The pain medicine knocked me out!

Patty