Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now What?

I am doing great! I am in the green zone. Have pretty much reached my initial goal. I don't want anymore fills and I actually don't want to loose any more weight until after my daughter's wedding. My dress fits perfectly and I'd like to avoid paying for more alterations.

So my question is Now What? How do I maintain? As long as I'm doing well, don't need any fills and am not having any problems, do I need to go back to my doctor's office. Do I just go about my life and call them if needed? I never really believed I would get to this stage.

How do I maintain? As long as I'm doing well, don't need any fills and am not having any problems, do I need to go back to my doctor's office. Do I just go about my life and call them if needed?

Congratulations on losing enough weight that you've reached a stage of confusion. Congratulations, too, on having answered your own question. You want to maintain now, but don't know what changes to make. Answer: "...call them if needed." An appointment with the RD can help and the RD probably has handouts for the purpose. Take a week or two's food trackers to your appointment so that the RD can see where you are and use it as a foundation for the "Now what?" part. Going in would work for me when I need a confidence boost.

@@AmyR i haven't been for a fill in 2 years.... im great where im at... still losing, but im ok with that.... down to 133lbs.

Keep doing what your doing. Good luck and post pictures...

If you're losing more weight than you want, maybe add in something healthy like nuts or, if you eat dairy, full-fat yogurt, etc.

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding! Enjoy your gorgeous dress and the occasion....and knowing that you look fantastic.

Hi Amy iv been banded for 8 months and was on 6.6ml in 10ml band iv had a defill so am 6.2ml iv been sick everyday for couple months thinking it get better but today I start afresh n would love some advice as I don't know any one that's had a band . I really would appreciate advice on daily meals n size as I'm getting diff advice all time and as u are a success I'd be chuffed if u could help me lol I sooo want to succeed n congrats I bet it's amazing x

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hayley,
It really has been surprisingly easy for me. I don't know that I am the best to ask for eating advice, but I'll give you all the help I can. First off, I really have no idea what the size of my band is and how much I have in it. I can't remember if they've ever told me.
So here is a typical day for me. I almost always have a Protein shake for Breakfast. Occasionally I will have an egg or greek yogurt. lunch is usually Protein and maybe some fruit/veggies. I eat tuna and chicken salad a lot. Just about a 1/2 cup and then a little bit of fruit or veggies with that. If I get hungry I will snack on almonds or a Protein Bar.
dinner is usually my biggest meal and I try to eat the same as my family, except smaller portions and I usually leave out the carb side dishes. However, I can eat a small portion, if I feel like it.

It also depends on the day, as far as how much I eat and what I can eat without problems. There are some days I can eat a cup or more without any problems. Other days I get "stuck" after just a few bites.

I try to eat slow and listen to my body when it's full. Does that help?

I also exercise 3-4 days a week. Both moderate intensity cardio and resistance training. That helps!

Edited by AmyR

It's hard to get your mind around it, actually. You look at this small little portion of food and you think this is never going to fill me up. But it does! If you take your time and let the band stop you when you're full. That is really all you need. When I think I'm hungry or haven't eaten in several hours, I try to eat fast or eat more than I need, but eventually the band let's me know I need to slow down or stop all together.

It's also hard to leave food on your plate or stop eating when everyone else is still going. Try to start with much less than you think you will eat, you can always get a little more, but you don't feel like you are wasting it. If I am out to eat, I almost always have a to go box or I share what is left with my family.

My last fill was about 5 years ago....

Prior to surgery, I was fat/obese because I had a lifestyle of eating way too much of all the wrong foods....could not control it no matter what diet I tried, and I tried and failed at them all.

So, as a last resort, I had surgery. Then I had three fils - adjustments to get the band working properly for me.

Then my eating, portion sizes, and hunger-cravings were brought under control. All I needed to do was choose which foods I was going to eat since I was limited in how much I would be eating on a daily basis.

Long story short, I went to a new lifestyle of eating less with healthy foods, as opposed to eating like a pig with all the wrong foods.

One lifestyle brought me to obesity, and the new lifestyle brought me back to normalcy. And that is where I will remain for the rest of my life.

I don't count calories, just eat good foods. It's second nature, common sense what is good and not good.

I have not gained, nor lost any weight in about 5 years now, and I don't expect to.

I did not have any weight loss goals, my body adjusted and naturally came back to a point where it should be.

I exercise regularly as any person should. WLS or not.

I do not believe there is a "Maintenance" for lap band people unlike those who follow diet plans.